The Manager thread

Xela

On 26/12/2018 at 17:14, Zatman said:

English media always seem to have it in for Claude Puel and always suggest him for the sack. Was under pressure Friday and ends up beating Chelsea and City in a week

I love Claude.

Would have him at Villa in a flash.

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Martin O’Neill to Forest. Wow! Can’t see that working at all!

Was just about to post this. Seems an odd appointment if it's true. Will he bring Roy Keane as his No 2 like at Ireland? I doubt it. 

48 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd be fuming if I were a Forrest fan, certainly was 'the man' in his day but he's a total dinosaur in this current era of football. 

I didn't realise you were privy to his coaching and managing techniques and were able to compare to [insert manager doing well currently].

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

I didn't realise you were privy to his coaching and managing techniques and were able to compare to [insert manager doing well currently].

Well its known MON has failed since Robertson retired. Also has been said by players that Ireland training was just 5 a side games

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Was just about to post this. Seems an odd appointment if it's true. Will he bring Roy Keane as his No 2 like at Ireland? I doubt it. 

I dunno, Keane started his career at Forest (well, his English Football career).

Sounds like a dream team

(and by dream team I mean the kind of dream team fans want but actually rarely ever works)

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They've worked tremendously over the past 8 years haven't they?

...and that's because he is a dinosaur?

You know more about the advances in football that MON and the owners of Nottingham Forest?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

...and that's because he is a dinosaur?

You know more about the advances in football that MON and the owners of Nottingham Forest?

Just through observation you can see how his 'route one' style of play has persisted throughout his managerial career, showing little to no adaptation and compare that to how most successful teams are playing football in order to make the point.

But I guess we should just uncritically defer to the experts and have no opinion at all. Cool. 

• Like 2

Wagner asked to leave as needs break, offered to stay till end of season but chairman let him go. Gotta respect the guy he's done great things and clearly struggling now. Could easily just crash down and keep earning the money but instead leaves in hope someone can revive them. 

Edited by VillaAlex
  • Like 1

Mobile phone bans and new card schools – how the Reading FC players are working differently under Jose Gomes

ANSSI Jaakkola believes team spirit at Reading FC has improved since new boss Jose Gomes banned mobile phones.

0 comment

Gomes has stopped players using their devices around the dinner table at their Hogwood Park training ground and on away trips.

He also wants his players to sit together and talk when enjoying a meal, rather than stare at their phones.

And goalkeeper Jaakkola says these small but important tweaks have resulted in a closer bond between squad members.

Speaking ahead of tomorrow’s home clash with Nottingham Forest (3pm ko), he said: “Things always change when a new manager comes in because they always bring in new ideas and the way he wants to work.

“There are a lot of small things that have changed.

“When the players have a meal together he wants us all to sit at the one table and there are no mobile phones.

“It sounds funny, but that’s how it should be. I would like to see the same rule brought into the changing room.

“It’s good, he is really trying to correct the little things, not just what happens on the football pitch. They all contribute towards the bigger goal.”

Jaakkola, 31, also revealed interaction between players has further improved since card schools were introduced on the team bus during long journeys.

“Cards were never been played on the bus before in the time that I’ve been at the club, but now John O’Shea, Sam Walker and Sam Baldock have started to bring games back in,” revealed the Finland international.

“It’s a bit of fun and now we talk to each other more instead of stare at our iPads or phones.

“We play Werewolf, Uno and another game I am not familiar with. Wolf is really good.”

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/17351862.mobile-phone-bans-and-new-card-schools-how-the-reading-fc-players-are-working-differently-under-jose-gomes/

Bacuna might be worried about his hoverboard being banned next 

• Haha 2

Â