The Manager thread

Xela

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Ready for a summer of moaning that we didnt get world class bielsa but thats got disaster written all over it

Looking at his record, he seems vastly overrated?

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

Looking at his record, he seems vastly overrated?

Best defend our (possible) future coach ?

Europa League runner up with Bilbao, considering how they operate thats pretty decent.

Got Chile who hadnt qualified for a World Cup for some time to a World Cup, 50% win record at Marseille isnt to bad considering they were selling off key players, same at Lille, they fell out over recruitment, and eventually the same at Bilbao. 

His record is decent for the standing of clubs he has managed, 

Runner up in the Copa America with Argentina, not bad, hadnt been in the final for 11 years before then, won the Olympics with them to, first time a South American team had done that since like the 1920s. 

Think from reading you have to balance out what he has done with where he has been and the circumstances, all the clubs he has managed have sold off key players against his wishes. He is very well regarded in the game, was a candidate for the Arsenal job and was one of the reasons Arsenal appointed Unai Emery, one of many managers who regard Marcelo Bielsa as a mentor. 

His personality is the reason he never gets the top club jobs imo, to unpredictable.

But the amount of people who speak very highly of him and copy his ideas is very exciting for me as a Leeds fan.

He is the sort of manager who probably as a coach  is top class, certainly thats the impression all the experts and people inside football give, a man good enough to coach the very best but his own worst enemy. 

Good enough for Mauricio Pochettino, Pep Guardiola, Unai Emery, Diego Simeone etc, then he is worth a go, besides imagine his contacts?

And now i fully expect tomorrow to wake up to the news . . . . . .Welcome Steve Bruce. 

• Like 1

i think he's a risk, he's a volatile personality going in to a volatile environment, he's a man who cant hold down a job because he falls out with owners going to a club who sack managers for fun because they cant get on with them, everything about it screams trouble

then you throw in his coaching, he's got a system and coaches the players to within an inch of their life which is to be admired but like simeone i think he would introduce a set of ideas in to english football that the mentality here wouldn't automatically suit (incredibly demanding coach meets a bunch of lazy ****)

• Like 1

Isn't the standard pattern with Bielsa that you'd look astonishingly good for about three months in the autumn, with everyone lauding the system and saying how much fitter your players are than everyone else's, and then it'll all fall off a cliff after Christmas with injuries, odd tactics and bitter recriminations?

Yes, but you could argue that if there were no Bielsa then there would be no Guardiola and there certainly would be no Pochettino.   There's no way he's lasting long at Leeds if he takes the job but he'll be a lot of fun while he is here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look like things have worked out too badly for Coleman. He has gone to China to replace Pellegrini at Hebei China Fortune. Pellegrini was apparently earning 12 million euros per year there...

Interesting selection of foreign players with Gervinho, Lavezzi, Mascherano & Hernanes.

• 2 weeks later...

Julian Nagelsmann confirmed to take over at Red Bull Leipzig after next season.

quite the coup that for them as he's probably the most sought after young manager in the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Gus Poyet in line for another pay off after his outburst at Bordeaux.

The real question is, how does this guy keep getting fairly decent jobs?

Dont laugh but apparently was about to sign Cattermole. Ok i couldnt help myself 

?????????????????????????

Â