Talinn, Estonia

Wainy316

I always recommend it just for the novelty factor of a hydrofoil over to Helsinki and a twin city pub crawl ( you can get beer on the boat and wi-if as well to update Facebook photos of you passed out and having your eyebrows shaved off ) about 2 hours for the crossing I think but you can easily check on line ... you could even do two single flights and not have to do a return trip on the hydrofoil 

Tallinn is beautiful , the old town has a lots of bars but might be a bit small by other stag type destinations.. but sit in the town square drinking beer watching beauriful women walk by is definitely easy to do 

one bar in particular whose name escapees me had hundreds of different bees and football ( Xela  has been there as well if I recall so he might rem its name )

Good choice imo 

Helsinki has bars a very short walk from the harbour and you are in the town centre in 10 mins walk ...assuming you don't stop at the aforementioned bars :)

restaurant on the corner with ornamental tractors everywhere sells reindeer steak as well for another novelty was quite a nice atmosphere in there as well 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I always recommend it just for the novelty factor of a hydrofoil over to Helsinki and a twin city pub crawl ( you can get beer on the boat and wi-if as well to update Facebook photos of you passed out and having your eyebrows shaved off ) about 2 hours for the crossing I think but you can easily check on line ... you could even do two single flights and not have to do a return trip on the hydrofoil 

Tallinn is beautiful , the old town has a lots of bars but might be a bit small by other stag type destinations.. but sit in the town square drinking beer watching beauriful women walk by is definitely easy to do 

one bar in particular whose name escapees me had hundreds of different bees and football ( Xela  has been there as well if I recall so he might rem its name )

Good choice imo 

Helsinki has bars a very short walk from the harbour and you are in the town centre in 10 mins walk ...assuming you don't stop at the aforementioned bars :)

restaurant on the corner with ornamental tractors everywhere sells reindeer steak as well for another novelty was quite a nice atmosphere in there as well 

Cheers Tony.

I definitely like the idea of incorporating both cities.

Would I be right in assuming Helsinki is considerable more expensive for beer?

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Cheers Tony.

tbh I can't remember .. I'd flown into Helsinki from North Korea so everything looked expensive :)

but Yes I think would be the answer , maybe 2 euros a beer difference between Helsinki and Tallinn from memory

I landed at Helsinki didn't bother checking in for my connecting flight to England and took an airport bus straight to the town centre for €15 (they've opened a metro link now I believe)   .... had a day and a night in Helsinki then boat to Tallinn for about €20 one way ( make sure you get the 2hr one and not the 3 1/2 hr)   ... they do passport formalities on board so when you dock its straight off and there are taxis waiting around the front .... Tallinn flight took me to Gatwick for about £40 (Estonian Air who alas have now gone bust )  ..

looking at flights on skyscanner it might actually be more difficult that it was back when I did it

only Direct flights I can see to Helsinki are from LHR ( and not cheap)

Easyjet flights from Tallinn are LGW (Friday and Monday only)

can still be done but you might have to make that ferry ticket a return ticket :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Cheers Tony.

Yes.

I went in 2008 and it was 7 or 8 euros a pint. Had a cracking Saturday night out though. Those Finns can drink! 

Took the hydrofoil to Tallinn on the Monday and spent 2 nights there. Absolutely loved it. Very picturesque and had 2 fantastic nights out, even taking into account it was a Monday and Tuesday night. People very friendly. 

• Like 1

On 3 February 2017 at 14:42, tonyh29 said:

tbh I can't remember .. I'd flown into Helsinki from North Korea so everything looked expensive :)

but Yes I think would be the answer , maybe 2 euros a beer difference between Helsinki and Tallinn from memory

I landed at Helsinki didn't bother checking in for my connecting flight to England and took an airport bus straight to the town centre for €15 (they've opened a metro link now I believe)   .... had a day and a night in Helsinki then boat to Tallinn for about €20 one way ( make sure you get the 2hr one and not the 3 1/2 hr)   ... they do passport formalities on board so when you dock its straight off and there are taxis waiting around the front .... Tallinn flight took me to Gatwick for about £40 (Estonian Air who alas have now gone bust )  ..

looking at flights on skyscanner it might actually be more difficult that it was back when I did it

only Direct flights I can see to Helsinki are from LHR ( and not cheap)

Easyjet flights from Tallinn are LGW (Friday and Monday only)

can still be done but you might have to make that ferry ticket a return ticket :) 

Yeah I remember you suggesting this to me tone but they have made it more difficult so you have to do a return journey on the boat, in the end though didn't go Tallinn. Ended up in Riga which was very fun ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Â