The Hot Sauce/Chili Pepper Thread

maqroll

53 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Great label. Simple and old timey. I'm assuming that's a Cayenne sauce?

Believe it is. Ubiquitous in NOLA, but very moreish. Have a lot of hot sauce but thats the one I go back to. 

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I've got some gochujang kicking about somewhere and it's hot, when I bought it I got the missus that and me just some Korean BBQ, roasted a chicken breast then smothered it in sauce, she thought I was trying to kill her

also had some proper Chinese Chiu Chow that I got over there, that was some good stuff, lots of flavour, I love Sichuan pepper and what that does to your mouth

Gochujang is the bomb.  You should be added some gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes) to it though ;)

I have around 5 or 6 chilli sauces in the cupboard at any one time, from sweet to arse-burning hot and all points in between.

Also some Devon farms Naga paste in the fridge.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Apparently the burning taste from chilis is an evolutionary ploy to stop us eating them and destroying the seeds.

Not really worked has it?

It's like olives for me.

At first you think "Why do people do this, it's horrible"..

But then you see other people doing it and think "I must be missing something, so I'll try again" & this keeps going until you actually grow to love it.

I love olives and can comfortably eat a madras in most places.  Had a couple of vindaloo's, but to be honest, lately, I've been loving the simple, sweeter curries.  I have curry about once a month, so hardly ever really.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Image result for encona

Excellent with eggs on toast.

It's excellent with almost anything. It's absolutely brilliant in soups like Pumpkin, Lentil, Butternut squash etc.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I love olives and can comfortably eat a madras in most places.  Had a couple of vindaloo's, but to be honest, lately, I've been loving the simple, sweeter curries.  I have curry about once a month, so hardly ever really.

im the same, i'll take a yoghurt or cream based curry over an onion or tomato based one any day of the week, prefer the flavour over the heat, although i do think pataks have done a hot tikka masala sauce which has the same 3 chilli spice rating as their vindaloo

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im the same, i'll take a yoghurt or cream based curry over an onion or tomato based one any day of the week, prefer the flavour over the heat, although i do think pataks have done a hot tikka masala sauce which has the same 3 chilli spice rating as their vindaloo

silly monkey.

Edited by lapal_fan

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's like olives for me.

At first you think "Why do people do this, it's horrible"..

But then you see other people doing it and think "I must be missing something, so I'll try again" & this keeps going until you actually grow to love it.

I'm 31 and it still hasn't worked with olives for me.

I try them regularly because the other half always has them.

But to me they still taste like the saltiest, most horrible things I've ever tasted.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I try them regularly because the other half always has them.

But to me they still taste like the saltiest, most horrible things I've ever tasted.

Removing your first line makes this sound a bit rude. Kind of. But not really, but almost.

7 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Encona is the carling of the hot sauce world. Functional and serves a purpose but there is much better out there.

Its definitely my go to standard sauce, although I mix it up if I see something new. Think my favourite of them is the hot pepper sauce with papaya.

Â