Jump to content

The Hot Sauce/Chili Pepper Thread


maqroll
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, mjmooney said:

This is one for the "things you don't get" thread. 

Why do you inflict this pain on yourself? Eating is supposed to be pleasant, not an ordeal! 

I don't think I'd go for Naga Viper sauce or peppers that hot. But good heat with excellent flavor is a great treat, IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got some Komodo Dragon Chillis from Tesco and sliced one and put it in my curry.  Fugginell it was hot.  

Since found out it's the third hottest Chili in the world, hotter than a ghost chilli (which I once ate a whole one of for fun).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best Indian restaurant in england is the Agra (backstreet midway between Warren Street & Goodge Street tube stops). None of your trendy johnny come lately northern bollocks, it's been there since the 1930's it's small, shabby looking and the food is always always excellent.

We had a meal there one time with a 'new' member of our little party. This guy wasn't interested in tasting the food or accepting recommendations from people that have eaten there a few times. No he wanted the hottest sauce they could get him. Billy big chilli bollocks.

Anyway, they brought out the food as per usual, plus they brought new guy a bowl of his own sauce. As the waiter was putting the sauce down he gave the following advice:

'This is a special sauce for the gentleman. Please don't anyone else eat it. It will **** up your life.'

Sure enough, he ate it, but he didn't join in the talk very much and was pretty much the first to leave.

Personally, I prefer more taste than heat.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

The hotter the better

I Was surprised at how hot some of the food was in Korea ..

went to one place and they had spare ribs , with the word "hot" in a smiley sun icon above them 

I blame the beer but I took this to mean you know biggest seller , get them whilst they are hot

what it actually meant is these **** are **** hot

i ate them cause I was drunk and starving but they made my lips go numb for the rest of the night ...  I kid you not during the next days sight seeing I was shitting fire , never experienced anything like it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I Was surprised at how hot some of the food was in Korea ..

went to one place and they had spare ribs , with the word "hot" in a smiley sun icon above them 

I blame the beer but I took this to mean you know biggest seller , get them whilst they are hot

what it actually meant is these **** are **** hot

i ate them cause I was drunk and starving but they made my lips go numb for the rest of the night ...  I kid you not during the next days sight seeing I was shitting fire , never experienced anything like it 

Yeah, a large percentage of their food is spicy.  I absolutely loved it and regularly cool Korean now.

Annoyingly, you get given a warning every single time you order something hot.  They can't comprehend that Westerners can handle spicy food.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I've got some gochujang kicking about somewhere and it's hot, when I bought it I got the missus that and me just some Korean BBQ, roasted a chicken breast then smothered it in sauce, she thought I was trying to kill her

also had some proper Chinese Chiu Chow that I got over there, that was some good stuff, lots of flavour, I love Sichuan pepper and what that does to your mouth

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is not necessarily a taste recommendation but just another tale along the Billy Big Chilli line with one of my mates. Who came round a few years ago and ends up staying for tea with the lovely Mrs Villamarv which was a rather bland rice dish she's fond of cooking. So he's in the cupboard looking for chilli sauce and comes across this bad boy tucked away at the back of my cupboard which had been bought for me as a present from someone who knows my love of all things chilli. .

4f02d808ac81c_238290n.jpg

It is at this point in their retelling of this story I am always gutted to be away working coz we all know what's coming. It's nothing special in that it's widely available, but there is a notice in big letters on the back of this bottle which says USE AS A FOOD SUPPLEMENT ONLY! ONE DROP AT A TIME. In capitals, underlined just like that and everything. Oh how I wish I was there, but true to form the Mrs says she tried to tell him but he knew what he was doing, loves his chilli yadda yadda yadda! but judging by the fact that I'm the only one who normally uses it and the amount that was left in the bottle he must have poured like a quarter of the bottle over this bowl of rice prawns and spinach. Not really knowing my mate that well at that time she didn't press the matter and from his perspective, having never eaten her cooking before he did not want to appear rude and apparently trudged his way through half the bowl before he just had to stop. It's one of those stories where if it gets mentioned they will both start laughing to the point where they are crying remembering the awkwardness of the faltering macho bravado followed by the sweating and the swearing :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ec77e4_ee3fde2db6334a0aa80a1209d32d6948.

Also I bumped into these fellas at a food fair in Wales a couple of years ago giving out samples and ended up buying a bit of everything they had! I have not tried the yellow one, but have done all the rest. REALLY nice with a bit of cheese and crackers and also just nice blokes too who started this little business down the pub.

https://www.dangerousfoodco.co.uk/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cystal, picked up a couple of bottles in New Orleans. Lovely smokiness to it as well as heat. Got through them pretty fast so was happy to see I could get it on Amazon and briefly in a shop in West Bromwich.

777975.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Cystal, picked up a couple of bottles in New Orleans. Lovely smokiness to it as well as heat. Got through them pretty fast so was happy to see I could get it on Amazon and briefly in a shop in West Bromwich.

777975.jpg

Great label. Simple and old timey. I'm assuming that's a Cayenne sauce?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

ec77e4_ee3fde2db6334a0aa80a1209d32d6948.

Also I bumped into these fellas at a food fair in Wales a couple of years ago giving out samples and ended up buying a bit of everything they had! I have not tried the yellow one, but have done all the rest. REALLY nice with a bit of cheese and crackers and also just nice blokes too who started this little business down the pub.

https://www.dangerousfoodco.co.uk/

Yikes, they look like hair gel!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
Â