Pre match chat

Demitri_C

Just now, BOF said:

My post wasn't who I think will start.  It's who I want to see starting.

Fair enough but I can't imagine why you wouldn't want him to start. He is a natural goalscorer and we are crying out for goals. I think Kodjia is very overrated and can't be relied on to get us the goals we need.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want him to start.

No need to imagine why.  I posted my reasons a few posts back :P  I believe a balanced side is better than one where you just throw goalscorers at the problem.  We've seen so far this season that strikers without supply are a waste.  I'm not saying that a strikeforce of Kodjia and Hogan won't work, because I believe ultimately that's what we'll go with.  I'm just saying that I think the one I've gone with would work too and I'd like to see it.  That's all.

We have no one to hold the ball upfront so he has to play 2 up top and play Lansbury behind them. Hopefully we play 442 with a diamond in midfield, I dunno who to put on the right of midfield cus none of the options I can think of would get in the team, hopefully something clicks with the midfield and we start creating chances. I'll be shocked if we win after the shocking performances we've had under Bruce, especially away from home. 

Johnstone

Bree      Chester       Baker       Taylor

Jedinak

CMF                       Hourihane

Lansbury

Hogan                      Kodjia

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

No need to imagine why.  I posted my reasons a few posts back :P  I believe a balanced side is better than one where you just throw goalscorers at the problem.  We've seen so far this season that strikers without supply are a waste.  I'm not saying that a strikeforce of Kodjia and Hogan won't work, because I believe ultimately that's what we'll go with.  I'm just saying that I think the one I've gone with would work too and I'd like to see it.  That's all.

I understand the principal but I just can't get past the fact that we are so toothless upfront. Hogan will hopefully hit the ground running and get us moving again after this dreadful run.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Not for me yet, no.  I want to see how the above team plays first.  Kodjia is a lone wolf and that midfield has enough about it.  We can't shoe-horn everyone into the side without affecting its balance.  So someone misses out.

Fair enough.  I think Bruce fancies Kodjia out wide, so we'll see Hogan up front in a 433 when going 'attacking' (such as it is).

I'd go:

Kodjia     Hogan    

Grealish    Hourihane    Lansbury

Jedi

Amavi   Baker   Chester  Bree

Jonhstone

One thing I've noticed they are showing so many away games and hardly any at villa park, I would love to know why sky are doing this. It's like they get enjoyment out of seeing us lose but don't like us winning at home

:angry:

12 hours ago, John said:

We last lost at Forest in 1992. We have since gone 6 games unbeaten at The City Ground.

This is a must win game for us. We need to win to restore a bit of pride away from home, to stop our new signings falling into the habit of seeing defeat away from Villa Park as inevitable in the way those players alongside them have come to do and to show those watching on SKY that we will not continue indefinitely to be an easy touch away from home. 

I would make three changes from the team that started the Brentford debacle. These would be Bree for Hutton, Jedinak for Green and Hogan for Bjarnason with Jack, Andre and Birkir available to come off the bench to put the game out of sight in the last half hour. What could possibly go wrong or any worse than our previous away games this year?   

"A must win game" surely the most annoying phrase in football.

This couldnt be any less a must win game, and is probably the least important game of the season so far, as we are to all intents and purposes out of the playoff race and way above the relegation zone. 

Not having a dig at you John, i just really cant stand that phrase. 

Was presumably dreamed up by sky to provide some relevance to dreary mid-table nothing fixtures like Saturday's game.

18 minutes ago, turvontour said:

"A must win game" surely the most annoying phrase in football.

This couldnt be any less a must win game, and is probably the least important game of the season so far, as we are to all intents and purposes out of the playoff race and way above the relegation zone. 

Not having a dig at you John, i just really cant stand that phrase. 

Was presumably dreamed up by sky to provide some relevance to dreary mid-table nothing fixtures like Saturday's game.

How about a must not lose or draw game?;) As I said on the previous page this is not about the play-off's and I agree it is not about relegation either but we really need to break this losing habit away from home and the sooner we do it the better. I would take a draw at a pinch but we have had enough of those as well as enough defeats this season. So a win would be nice and I will now call this "A need to emerge victorious from game". :)    

Edited by John
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, John said:

Neither McCormack nor Tish can play against us as we are only loaning them to Forest. Whether that is a good thing or not is open to debate. 

That's a shame. I was daydreaming about Nathan Baker performing a mid air roundhouse kick finished with a triple flip air to surface flying headbutt to his fat gatephobic face.

I guess no chance of that now. Anyway, back to playing Mortal Kombat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

That's a shame. I was daydreaming about Nathan Baker performing a mid air roundhouse kick finished with a triple flip air to surface flying headbutt to his fat gatephobic face.

I guess no chance of that now. Anyway, back to playing Mortal Kombat.

We would not want to lose Nathan to what would be a long suspension for that would we?