Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

The lad needs confidence, time on the pitch and goals.  He isnt going to get this in the first team. 

Maybe he should drop to the reserves for a few weeks to take him out of the spotlight.  Seems ridiculous for a 12 million quid striker ut we have to try something.

He was simply a passenger yesterday, he offers nothing currently.

• Like 1

Needs to play in a team that play with possesion, move the ball around quickly and open up space. Everything we don't do under Bruce. We lump it forward and fight for the second ball.

I see Hogan making some decent runs which is obviously his game, but we never pick him out or take the risk with the pass. We'd rather try and lump it to his head instead.

I'd love to know how Bruce and the "team" thought they would get Hogan into games when they thought about signing him.

It's almost like they just thought "this guy gets goals let's buy him" with no additional thought whatsoever. 

We really piss money away. Hogan and Ross Mcormack for what... nearly £30m and our best striker is a guy from the youth setup. What a joke. Steve Round should take a hard look at himself if he approved these signings. 

• Like 2

As I've said before. Hogan was signed without both a plan and a clue as to how to get the best out of him. He was basically air dropped into Bruce's shit team with shit kick and rush tactics. He will never perform well in that sort of set up. On top of this he has been unlucky with a handful of niggling injuries, long spells on the bench and as a result has had his confidence clearly destroyed. 

He's getting slated for being poor yesterday but he barely gets a chance to start (so it's a little unfair, Kodjia has been just as poor in some recent matches) and let's not forget his strike 'partner' Davis was also poor, and so were the rest of the players behind him in midfield, thus not giving him the service he needs. 

Ultimately he is a poor signing, we massively overpaid and will be lucky to get a fraction of that back. I genuinely believe that under a better manager who plays more progressive, possession based and high press football we'd have seen a totally different player. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Needs to play in a team that play with possesion, move the ball around quickly and open up space. Everything we don't do under Bruce. We lump it forward and fight for the second ball.

I see Hogan making some decent runs which is obviously his game, but we never pick him out or take the risk with the pass. We'd rather try and lump it to his head instead.

I'd love to know how Bruce and the "team" thought they would get Hogan into games when they thought about signing him.

It's almost like they just thought "this guy gets goals let's buy him" with no additional thought whatsoever. 

We really piss money away. Hogan and Ross Mcormack for what... nearly £30m and our best striker is a guy from the youth setup. What a joke. Steve Round should take a hard look at himself if he approved these signings. 

I don't see how you do this successfully with Hogan in the team  

He can't get in the game, he barely touches the ball and he can't keep the ball well. He does nothing to allow a team to keep possession well and create space. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I don't see how you do this successfully with Hogan in the team  

He can't get in the game, he barely touches the ball and he can't keep the ball well. He does nothing to allow a team to keep possession well and create space. 

You need a midfield which are good on the ball with lots of movement like Brentford play. He can obviously score goals, but not in a system we play. 

We need a focal point to play with his back to goal like Davis, Hogan ain't that. It was embarrassing watching us play long balls to Hogan, but we have no other way of playing. Bruceball. 

Edited by PieFacE

Just now, PieFacE said:

You need a midfield which are good on the ball with lots of movement like Brentford play. He can obviously score goals, but not in a system we play. 

I don't see how that would help him that much, he'd do nothing to help out with the midfield keeping the ball. 

I also disagree it's obvious he can score goals. The same used to be said about Kozak and like Kozak it's based on one small period during a career. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I don't see how that would help him that much, he'd do nothing to help out with the midfield keeping the ball. 

I also disagree it's obvious he can score goals. The same used to be said about Kozak and like Kozak it's based on one small period during a career. 

His job wouldn't be to help the midfield hold the ball in that setup. It would be to make runs between defenders and for the midfield to find them.

Don't understand the Kozak comparison, Hogan has done it in this league with a "lesser" club. Kozak hadn't. 

For the record I don't rate Hogan at all, I think in the right setup he can be effective, but Bruce will never play it. 

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We need a focal point to play with his back to goal like Davis, Hogan ain't that. It was embarrassing watching us play long balls to Hogan, but we have no other way of playing. Bruceball. 

:D

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I mean look at the majority of the goals here, they come from a midfield "through ball" pass. I don't think I've seen our midfield attempt one of these to Hogan. 

Quite true - was refreshing to see the ball grealish played yesterday to o hare to create the goal - we’ve missed those kind of deft passes 

Edited by Eastie

My theory is that yesterday was his chance.

I think Bruce had promised him 90 minutes to prove himself. That's why it was Snodgrass who got the hook and not Hogan before half time.

If so he blew it. he was shit again.

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hogans done more damage than good. Remember that blocked goal he did for hourihane? I haven't seen in a position like that since. Worst. Get rid

Don’t worry you will not have long to wait for your wish to come true - I just hope Bruce acknowledges his role in it all

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My theory is that yesterday was his chance.

I think Bruce had promised him 90 minutes to prove himself. That's why it was Snodgrass who got the hook and not Hogan before half time.

If so he blew it. he was shit again.

Snodgrass was taken off as he has two cracked ribs and was struggling

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Snodgrass was taken off as he has two cracked ribs and was struggling

I'm still not convinced.

Bruce started Snodgrass, injured or not. And Snodgrass hadn't exactly had a terrible game up until that point. In fact I think he'd done ok.

I think Bruce knew he needed to change things, didn't want to bring Hogan off and knew he could use the ribs as an excuse to bring Snodgrass off.

That is, of course, a complete guess :D 

Â