Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The signing of Hogan was just the same as the signing of McCormack.

Teo managers in need of goals, signing players who scored goals on that basis alone without any real thought about how they scored them or how hey would score them in our team.

Its a really significant point....and one we have never learned from

• Guy whittingham
  • Tony casacarino

its clear to me that the scouting was lacking, just like it is now......it should be accountable.

We all know that you can't get it right every time.....but jesus, we have made some errors......too bloody many, to be honest.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its a really significant point....and one we have never learned from

• Guy whittingham
  • Tony casacarino

its clear to me that the scouting was lacking, just like it is now......it should be accountable.

We all know that you can't get it right every time.....but jesus, we have made some errors......too bloody many, to be honest.

It is a valid point. My feeling on this is that Di Matteo probably never had a plan, he just went after big hitting players. We never really had a system with him.

i think Bruce signed Hogan with the intention of building a team around his style, the only problem was that Kodjia just became unstoppable and undroppable. I don't think our scouting are naive to think that Hogan and Kodjia would work well as a two. Or I might be giving them too much credit.

10 hours ago, Rodders said:

given his track record it seems perfectly plausible he was injured to be honest. 

Agreed.

Given Bruce's track record however, it's plausible he just lied in a press conference to avoid an awkward question.

18 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Bruce mustn't like him at all. He'd have been ideal to play with Davis in a 442 yet I don't think they've even been on the pitch together let alone start. Bruce is back to the Kodija game plan now and it'll become more prevalent as he gets fitter. Keep it tight and hope he scores. Hogan will probably be gone in Jan. 

And where will he go ? - non scoring strikers aren't in that great a demand.

Even if he hasn't had the service - his inability to control a ball, beat a man, and retain possession are IMO more significant reasons for his failure here.

Im not exaggerating when I say he is one of the least talented players I have seen with the ball at his feet  - quite how people can defend his performances since he came here is beyond me - he's been shocking.

33 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

have we really got to the point of writing him off completely already? ffs.

Not really - just so far he has been terrible. - If he starts playing well and scoring goals I m sure he will be everybody's favourite

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Even if he hasn't had the service - his inability to control a ball, beat a man, and retain possession are IMO more significant reasons for his failure here.

Im not exaggerating when I say he is one of the least talented players I have seen with the ball at his feet  - quite how people can defend his performances since he came here is beyond me - he's been shocking.

That bit is wrong. He can beat a man. He did so against Barnsley on Saturday where he would've got past another if his shirt wasn't being pulled. And what about that chance against hull where he beat a few players to create his own chance? Certainly more occasions in games I haven't seen. How many times does he actually get the ball at his feet to run at players? Compared to how many times he has a long ball played up to him or a ball 'into a area' which he will have to create something out of. 

You don't like him, we get that, but don't use lies as a stick to beat him with.

1 hour ago, carewjust4u said:

He’s a tall target man who isn’t performing. He doesn’t knock balls down like he didn’t do at Brentford and he gets into the box for quick and clever balls, so I can’t understand why long balls over his head and formhim to win in the air are not working. Bruce knew what he was getting, a big Drogba type target man and thus is using him in that way. It’s not the fault of the manager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

That bit is wrong. He can beat a man. He did so against Barnsley on Saturday where he would've got past another if his shirt wasn't being pulled. And what about that chance against hull where he beat a few players to create his own chance? Certainly more occasions in games I haven't seen. How many times does he actually get the ball at his feet to run at players? Compared to how many times he has a long ball played up to him or a ball 'into a area' which he will have to create something out of. 

You don't like him, we get that, but don't use lies as a stick to beat him with.

OK - I stand corrected.  Its a wonder a player that can do much and has so many attributes:-

1.Has yet to score a goal in the championship this season

2. Is actually playing in the championship at all - he seems destined for much higher things 

Edited by hippo

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Not really - just so far he has been terrible. - If he starts playing well and scoring goals I m sure he will be everybody's favourite

This is of course true, but I see comments about selling him or moving him on already. It's following a very similar pattern to the Amavi thread imo.

16 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

This is of course true, but I see comments about selling him or moving him on already. It's following a very similar pattern to the Amavi thread imo.

I wouldn't worry that Hogan is going to be moving on any time soon. 

2 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

We might as well under the current manager.

He's consistently shown that he's incapable of getting the best out of him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hippo said:

He's lost his confidence because our great manager who's supposedly a good man manager hasn't a clue how to play him. He looked sharp when he arrived. He's looked good in bits. He's scored at this level for a good passing side. So yes you are exaggerating as his goal v Wigan showed. 

7 hours ago, hippo said:

I think you are 110% bang on.

I want him to come good, so I am not writing him off, just yet.......but

There are tell tale signs as you quite rightly mention......If you are good enough, you will score goals everywhere you go.....players can't keep blaming others.

If you have to rely on one club and a certain set up , you are a limited goal scorer.

as an example.....Peter Withe and Andy Gray scored goals where ever they went and whoever they played with.....so did Kevin Phillips/Dean Saunders , if you want a shorter version.

Edited by TRO

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are 110% bang on.

I want him to come good, so I am not writing him off, just yet.......but

There are tell tale signs as you quite rightly mention......If you are good enough, you will score goals everywhere you go.....players can't keep blaming others.

If you have to rely on one club and a certain set up , you are a limited goal scorer.

as an example.....Peter Withe and Andy Gray scored goals where ever they went and whoever they played with.....so did Kevin Phillips/Dean Saunders , if you want a shorter version.

Didn’t Andy gray fail to score in 20 games the year  we went down on his return to the club :)

scott hogan is a striker lacking in confidence - he needs a few goals and a run in the team alongside a decent striker - he is back up at the moment but has not really played much with either Davis or Kodjia - I believe hogan will come good but not sure it will happen under Steve Bruce .

Strikers can go through these periods and his confidence looks totally shot to pieces .

Now Bruce seems to be going 2 up front it’s down to hogan to wait his chance and take it when it comes - he is no good as a lone striker and Bruce has used him very badly so far .

Edited by Eastie

16 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Didn’t Andy gray fail to score in 20 games the year  we went down on his return to the club :)

scott hogan is a striker lacking in confidence - he needs a few goals and a run in the team alongside a decent striker - he is back up at the moment but has not really played much with either Davis or Kodjia - I believe hogan will come good but not sure it will happen under Steve Bruce .

Strikers can go through these periods and his confidence looks totally shot to pieces .

Now Bruce seems to be going 2 up front it’s down to hogan to wait his chance and take it when it comes - he is no good as a lone striker and Bruce has used him very badly so far .

Correct me if I wrong but he didn't he get a run of games alongside Kjodia last season ?  (People were blaming Kjodia for not passing to him) 

It seems whatever we do people seem to make excuse after excuse for this guy. - I just don't get it. 

Could be confidence, could be struggling with the expectations of a bigger club - But sadly he hasn't done it for us, hence his game time is getting more and more limited - not saying that helps - but you couldn't possibly drop Kjodia or KD for him at this stage.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

Correct me if I wrong but he didn't he get a run of games alongside Kjodia last season ?  (People were blaming Kjodia for not passing to him) 

It seems whatever we do people seem to make excuse after excuse for this guy. - I just don't get it. 

Could be confidence, could be struggling with the expectations of a bigger club - But sadly he hasn't done it for us, hence his game time is getting more and more limited - not saying that helps - but you couldn't possibly drop Kjodia or KD for him at this stage.

He is next in line should Davis or Kodjia be out injured but when he does get his chance it needs to be alongside either of them and not on his own up front .

with the width Snodgrass gives us I think he’d get more chances this season if alongside Kodjia or Davis but no question they are the main 2 at this moment.

its down to him to take that chance from there but could still be a valuable asset to us this season . 

Edited by Eastie

Congrats to Hogan getting a senior call-up for the Republic of Ireland squad.  It would be great for Villa if some international form could kickstart his league season for us too.  His first qualifier will be against Moldova, and with Jon Walters out, you'd imagine there's a damn good chance he'll feature.  Fingers crossed he starts :D 

• Like 3

Â