Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Didn't Gabby come on and play left wing? He'd probably get more touches than an isolated striker that can't win aerial balls. 

Interesting that you mentioned attitude a few posts back. I remember Hogan's debut against Forest and he was bright, made great runs but looked increasingly frustrated at a complete lack of passing from Kodjia. Kodjia had started to get better at this, but Hogan doesn't seem to be offering the same movement. Do we have a striker-partner issue?

It looked to me that Gabby came on upfront but moved wide once we scored. Regardless of position i think I'd expect the player who played 80 minutes to touch the ball more than the one who played 30. I think it came down to more than just poor service. 

I think we do have a strike partner issue, like i said the more i see if Hogan the more I'm convinced it was a late buy in the window because we lost out on Rhodes. 

On 25/04/2017 at 11:50, mykeyb said:

With the way we play I do wonder if Gestede would have scored more goals than Hogan has.

It's an interesting point, I think they are very different types of centre forward but both are effective at least at this level, not sure about Premier League for either

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to say although we are not playing to his strengths, I think we way over paid for him. 

Well yeah, kinda a given when you're shopping in January for an in-demand player who isn't nearing the end of their contract.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to say although we are not playing to his strengths, I think we way over paid for him. 

If we had played to his strengths and he had got 7 or 8 goals would you have the same opinion? 

The coaching staff over the summer either have to find a way to get Hogan and Kodja (if here) to play together in a front two or look to shift him out, the later would show someone ballsed up in January.

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If we had played to his strengths and he had got 7 or 8 goals would you have the same opinion? 

The coaching staff over the summer either have to find a way to get Hogan and Kodja (if here) to play together in a front two or look to shift him out, the later would show someone ballsed up in January.

Maybe not, but I just don't think he can create something out of nothing like Kodjia does. It could be the fact of bruces style or he is taking a while i dont know. but hopefully liek to see massive improvement. if you think we almost spent 30m on him and McCormack and between both for Villa have scored less than 8 goals 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe not, but I just don't think he can create something out of nothing like Kodjia does. It could be the fact of bruces style or he is taking a while i dont know. but hopefully liek to see massive improvement. if you think we almost spent 30m on him and McCormack and between both for Villa have scored less than 8 goals 

I agree, Hogan I thought was a very similar player to McCormack and putting his issues aside he hadnt looked like banging the goals in. Mind you I did think that we would have had Grealish playing in a number 10 role slipping balls through for Kodja & Hogan which has yet to look even remotely like working.

35 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I agree, Hogan I thought was a very similar player to McCormack and putting his issues aside he hadnt looked like banging the goals in. Mind you I did think that we would have had Grealish playing in a number 10 role slipping balls through for Kodja & Hogan which has yet to look even remotely like working.

I agree mate, we have the players capable of suiting hogans style in grealish lansbury and hourihane just we have not seen it click yet. hopefully come pre season be fresh start with some new faces and it will kick off hogan included. 

Call me crazy but I would have thought that a player we scouted for ages and wanted all window would have come in, and we'd have some idea of how to get the best out of him. 

Absolute panic buy and needs something major to change to stop it being a complete waste of money. 

• Like 2

Good player wrong manager maybe ? 

Why spend £8-12mill on a striker then shoehorn into your non existent tactical structure? Bruce hasn't got a clue. Its Kodija and hope for the best negating the talents of Hogan, Lansbury, Hourihane etc. 

Under a better manager with a clear plan and playing towards his strengths would maybe have gotten more out of him to date IMO. 

Oh well. 

• Like 3

On 28/04/2017 at 15:15, Demitri_C said:

I agree mate, we have the players capable of suiting hogans style in grealish lansbury and hourihane just we have not seen it click yet. hopefully come pre season be fresh start with some new faces and it will kick off hogan included. 

We have the players but not the tactics hmmm Whys that I wonder ? 

15 hours ago, terrytini said:

Lost track of the - very good - runs made by him today. Only once was a pass tried, and Gardner messed up.

He does appear limited as a footballer but so was Fowler, Rush, Owen, Defoe, Bent etc etc - he is a goal scorer, no more, no less, he gets in very good positions, but we aren't even trying to play to his strengths.

Lansnury and Hourihane can't pick out those runs trapped inside their own half and with only him to occupy defences.

Its scary that everybody can see this except one man

• Like 4

Â