Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

They are not excuses they are reasons. In fact for a short time when he wasn't injured ( a major problem during his time here ) he did have a good scoring burst however he then got injured again!!

Revisionism. He didn't get injured again.

He's had one good spell here, if 5 games counts as a spell. That was January '18 where he scored 5 goals in 5 games. Fair play to him. I was as happy as anyone, you can go back and check my posts if you don't believe me.

He then started the next 5 games and didn't score at all. In fact he was disappointingly poor. He then came on as sub in the next 4 and again didn't score. Then he sporadically appeared for the remainder of the season, only managing one more goal.

So he wasn't injured, and he wasn't just dropped out of nowhere. He performed well, got a run in the team until he stopped scoring. He was dropped from the starting XI for a far superior forward (Grabban) but still given game time as sub but made little impact and was gradually phased out completely. Which seems pretty sensible to me.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He was deadly for 30 games. For every other part of his career he's been average.

I’m not convinced that’s a true reflection of the situation. He was a big signing for Brentford and there was much excitement about him. Andre Gray was purchased as his back-up and Brentford believed that he was going to be huge. He was very highly regarded upon his arrival. He started very well and then got a huge injury. Once he’d recovered from that, he was pretty much unstoppable until we got him. 

Im totally torn on Hogan. Having seen so much of him at Brentford (I won’t go over old ground in terms of how much more I see of them than anyone else), I know he’s no flash in the pan. When we landed him though, it just made no sense to me. He was the antithesis of what we were at the time and the squarest of square pegs in our then style of play. I’m pretty sure Trent and I both commented to that at the time. He just didn’t suit us. The overwhelming majority of strikers play a certain way and although some can adapt their style of play to fit into a particular system, I never thought he’d fit with us. 

Hes a smart guy, from the few times that I’ve met him, a nice guy too. I don’t buy that he’s a poor player but it is abundantly clear now that he’s never going to work here. Time to cut our losses and chalk this one up as just another bad fit. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Revisionism. He didn't get injured again.

He's had one good spell here, if 5 games counts as a spell. That was January '18 where he scored 5 goals in 5 games. Fair play to him. I was as happy as anyone, you can go back and check my posts if you don't believe me.

He then started the next 5 games and didn't score at all. In fact he was disappointingly poor. He then came on as sub in the next 4 and again didn't score. Then he sporadically appeared for the remainder of the season, only managing one more goal.

So he wasn't injured, and he wasn't just dropped out of nowhere. He performed well, got a run in the team until he stopped scoring. He was dropped from the starting XI for a far superior forward (Grabban) but still given game time as sub but made little impact and was gradually phased out completely. Which seems pretty sensible to me.

OK I get it you don't like him, I actually saw some good in him.He's going so you'll be happy, but just because you don't rate him doesn't mean everyone should. You have your opinion, I have mine, but that's all they are - opinions. You don't need to destroy him on here we get it!!

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

I’m not convinced that’s a true reflection of the situation. He was a big signing for Brentford and there was much excitement about him. Andre Gray was purchased as his back-up and Brentford believed that he was going to be huge. He was very highly regarded upon his arrival. He started very well and then got a huge injury. Once he’d recovered from that, he was pretty much unstoppable until we got him. 

Im totally torn on Hogan. Having seen so much of him at Brentford (I won’t go over old ground in terms of how much more I see of them than anyone else), I know he’s no flash in the pan. When we landed him though, it just made no sense to me. He was the antithesis of what we were at the time and the squarest of square pegs in our then style of play. I’m pretty sure Trent and I both commented to that at the time. He just didn’t suit us. The overwhelming majority of strikers play a certain way and although some can adapt their style of play to fit into a particular system, I never thought he’d fit with us. 

Hes a smart guy, from the few times that I’ve met him, a nice guy too. I don’t buy that he’s a poor player but it is abundantly clear now that he’s never going to work here. Time to cut our losses and chalk this one up as just another bad fit. 

Hallelujah, some sense at last. Well said sir!!!

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

OK I get it you don't like him, I actually saw some good in him.He's going so you'll be happy, but just because you don't rate him doesn't mean everyone should. You have your opinion, I have mine, but that's all they are - opinions. You don't need to destroy him on here we get it!!

The thing is I don't dislike him. I actually like his workrate and his attitude and I've said so many times.

What i don't like is why a player who has never shown he is anything other than poor for Aston Villa gets a 2 year luxury period where some people still excuse his bad performances believing he will come good.

Yet we have players who have, at times, been excellent for Villa, or at least pretty good, like Adomah, Kodjia, Hourihane, Chester etc who are all cast on the scrap heap because they're in poor form at the moment.

Why does Hogan get this probation period of 2 years where he can be consistently terrible but people still rate him?

I've said it before, but I've genuinely never seen anything like it on VillaTalk.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The thing is I don't dislike him. I actually like his workrate and his attitude and I've said so many times.

What i don't like is why a player who has never shown he is anything other than poor for Aston Villa gets a 2 year luxury period where some people still excuse his bad performances believing he will come good.

Yet we have players who have, at times, been excellent for Villa, or at least pretty good, like Adomah, Kodjia, Hourihane, Chester etc who are all cast on the scrap heap because they're in poor form at the moment.

Why does Hogan get this probation period of 2 years where he can be consistently terrible but people still rate him?

I've said it before, but I've genuinely never seen anything like it on VillaTalk.

People are allowed to rate him you know. It's only your opinion he's crap, others disagree. That's what the forum is all about! Anyway lets hope we've got some incoming. AVFC Agent says we've had a bid for Charlie Austin accepted by the way, don't know how true that is though!!

10 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

People are allowed to rate him you know. It's only your opinion he's crap, others disagree. That's what the forum is all about! 

Where have I said people aren't allowed to rate him?

Of course you're allowed to rate him.

But I'm allowed to tell you how absurd I think that is.

5 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Absurd are we? That's nice!!! Good morning

For someone so passionate about people being allowed their opinion, you're not taking me having an opinion very well :D 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

For someone so passionate about people being allowed their opinion, you're not taking me having an opinion very well :D 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just seems that from your perspective everyone else is wrong!

6 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just seems that from your perspective everyone else is wrong!

But if I have an opinion, and you have the opposite opinion, then of course I think you're wrong.

You rate him and I don't, so I assume you think I'm wrong?

I don't understand what you're complaining about. You're allowed to think I'm wrong but I'm not allowed to think you're wrong? Doesn't seem very fair.

Well, if his opinion is Hogan is crap, and your opinion is Hogan is good, it would surely be he thinks that you're wrong in exactly the same way that you think he's wrong?

But Hogan is terrible. Things he can do: make runs. Things he can't do: control the ball, beat a defender, win a header, outpace someone, complete a pass, score goals, make assists, basically anything football related that isn't "making runs" he is completely incapable of doing. Even if some of his runs were picked out what's the point? He'd just miscontrol the ball out of play, or misplace a pass immediately, or shoot off target. He's just been awful for us

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

But if I have an opinion, and you have the opposite opinion, then of course I think you're wrong.

You rate him and I don't, so I assume you think I'm wrong?

I don't understand what you're complaining about. You're allowed to think I'm wrong but I'm not allowed to think you're wrong? Doesn't seem very fair.

Last post on this (as someone pointed out he doesn't even play ), of course you're allowed to think I'm wrong, but absurd I'm not 😀

10 hours ago, choffer said:

It is

18 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

of course you're allowed to think I'm wrong

Weird.

Anyway, we're clogging up the thread with nonsense. So let's leave it.

Back on topic,

That Scott Hogan is pretty good isn't he?

• Haha 1

On Hogan's runs, someone said earlier that there's a difference between work rate and intelligent movement and that is absolutely right.

Compare him with Tammy Abraham, both run their socks off, but somehow Tammy is always in the right place at the right time. None of his goals are 30 yard screamers, you don't see him beat 3 or 4 players and smash a ball into the top corner, he scores so many goals because every time the ball comes into the box he's there to tap it in. He has great movement and great work rate - I'm sure it was on the weekend he started a move from a cross field pass from the left back position, immediately sprinted the length of the field and was waiting for McGinn to slip him in, completely unmarked (he scuffed a shot at the keeper instead). 

Compare with Hogan, he runs a lot as well, but when the balls in the box he's never quite there, he's always a few yards off the pace, marked out of the game by a defender or just in a  position where he'll never receive the ball. Not only would he never be capable of linking the play the way Tammy does, but even if he did he wouldn't get into a position to finish the move because he doesn't make those intelligent runs. Running around a lot doesn't make a good footballer unfortunately 

• Like 1

Â