Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Am I right in thinking he had quite a few injuries since joining you?

One major injury (ankle), but I'm sure he's missed the odd game other than that as well due to sickness or small niggling ones.

He had a whopper of and injury thou the seasons before we signed him that kept him out almost 2 years.

Makes the money we spent on him even more reckless.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I found this little exchange interesting and have copied it across.

I don't know what to think on Hogan.  He's (or was in his purple patch) the kind of striker I like.  A proper predator.  But there's no doubt he's been absolutely garbage since we signed him.  I keep thinking it's just the system, but it feels too easy to say that.

Reading Stevo's post about a hell of a purple patch reminded me of how Adomah looked like the Championship Ronaldo for a chunk of last season and ended up our top scorer from the inside left position.  He now hasn't scored in something like 36 matches...

Some strikers make entire careers out of purple patches. Roque Santa Cruz made a career at the very top level out of it. He made double figures in a single season once in his whole career.

Marlon Harewood earned a move to the might Aston Villa because he looked like a 20 goal a season striker for one year at West Ham. He was terrible.

Scott Hogan was undoubtedly excellent for a short spell at Brentford. But as far as I can see before that he was pretty average. And since moving to us he has been terrible. All evidence points towards it being a good spell in an otherwise average career.

I don't want to go over it again, but it frustrates me how many excuses get made for the guy when he's done nothing in a Villa shirt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a toss up between Hogan and McCormack for worst signing this club has made in it's entire history. Hogan probably shaves it as far as I'm aware his fee was a bit higher than McCormack's and he's certainly on more money.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

30 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think we’re going to release a £12m signing?

In the event of his contract being up and working on the assumption that he hasn’t set the world alight...yes certainly. Do you think we’d offer him a new contract if the next two years are like his first two (which is essentially what I mean by my “Option B”)?

He’s not worth £12m, just because we were stupid enough to pay that sort of price doesn’t mean that’s his current value.

24 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

In the event of his contract being up and working on the assumption that he hasn’t set the world alight...yes certainly. Do you think we’d offer him a new contract if the next two years are like his first two (which is essentially what I mean by my “Option B”)?

He’s not worth £12m, just because we were stupid enough to pay that sort of price doesn’t mean that’s his current value.

We obviously won’t offer him a new contract if he doesn’t get in the team but I still think he can turn it around here. He’s not out of contract until the Summer of 2021

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We obviously won’t offer him a new contract if he doesn’t get in the team but I still think he can turn it around here. He’s not out of contract until the Summer of 2021

Right ok then so in answer to your original question, I think the next two and half years will most likely resemble Hogan’s first two years here. If that happens, him and I suspect his considerable wages will be released. As will McCormack. 

I think there is a higher chance of that happening than there is him becoming a prolific goal scorer for Villa.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's a toss up between Hogan and McCormack for worst signing this club has made in it's entire history. Hogan probably shaves it as far as I'm aware his fee was a bit higher than McCormack's and he's certainly on more money.

Have to disagree there mate. Hogan has been crap there's no doubt about that but he has at least contributed a few important goals, RMC has has given nothing in return. 

I'd also question the idea that Hogan earns more, RMC must be on a fair old whack. 

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, Smith can still get the best out of Hogan and he can still have a future here, Stevo985 doesn’t think so, what do others think?

Personally I would not Worry  what said poster thinks about Scott Hogan. She has never been prepared to give him a chance as far as I can recall - ? And therefore is not the barometer to measure Scott by - but that's only my view. 

• Like 1

Just never showed even a glimpse of threat. Looks too big a unit and not really that mobile to make a success as a striker at any reasonable level. Injuries just top it off. A really grim purchase and waste of valuable resource.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hogans a goal scorer and nothing else. Similar to Darren Bent. If he’s banging in the goals great, if not it’s like playing with 10 men. 

Other than Bent actually scores goals and Hogan doesn’t.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

His movement is one of his worst assets.

His runs are bizarre. Don't confuse workrate with intelligent movement.

He runs around a lot. That's his only asset. If he made more intelligent runs he might get more chances.

And when he does get chances, he usually does nothing with them.

Sorry, but I have to say that's just rubbish. He made loads of intelligent runs, just not spotted. I'm not sad he's going but you have at least to be fair to him. At Brentford when he did get played in he was deadly, that's why we bought him.He doesn't get to be a bad player overnight. Just accept he doesn't suit our style.

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

Sorry, but I have to say that's just rubbish. He made loads of intelligent runs, just not spotted. I'm not sad he's going but you have at least to be fair to him. At Brentford when he did get played in he was deadly, that's why we bought him.He doesn't get to be a bad player overnight. Just accept he doesn't suit our style.

I think it's a mixture of things, yes we haven't played to his strengths, but I dont think he's actually got as many strengths to his game as the form he was in before he signed indicated he had.  He seems to have had plenty of niggles as well, plus I think a lot of football league players struggle with moving to the big clubs as well.  There is so much more pressure and attention at a club like Villa than a team like Brentford.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

He was deadly for 30 games. For every other part of his career he's been average. For Aston Villa he's been shit.

A striker who doesn't suit a style will still show you glimpses of quality. He'll show you what he can do when you do play to his style. Hogan hasn't done any of that. He's been consistently poor for TWO YEARS. This isn't a guy who signed 6 weeks ago and is waiting for his chance. TWO YEARS and he hasn't shown anything. Why do people still make excuses for him?

We now have the only manager who has gotten a quality spell out of him, and the excuses are still coming.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He was deadly for 30 games. For every other part of his career he's been average. For Aston Villa he's been shit.

A striker who doesn't suit a style will still show you glimpses of quality. He'll show you what he can do when you do play to his style. Hogan hasn't done any of that. He's been consistently poor for TWO YEARS. This isn't a guy who signed 6 weeks ago and is waiting for his chance. TWO YEARS and he hasn't shown anything. Why do people still make excuses for him?

We now have the only manager who has gotten a quality spell out of him, and the excuses are still coming.

They are not excuses they are reasons. In fact for a short time when he wasn't injured ( a major problem during his time here ) he did have a good scoring burst however he then got injured again!!

Â