Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Given that Dean Smith was his manager at brentford for the 15 minutes he was actually playing well and he still can't get a look in tells you everything you need to know. We'll be lucky to get £1m back for him. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If he can't even get on the bench now he surely has no future here. 

There's a nice one in Aston Park......as opposed to Villa Park.

with a bin to put his garbage in.

• Haha 1

Bristol Live reporting that Bristol City and Sheffield United are interested. 

I'd be amazed and overjoyed if would could recoup of few quid for Hogan. 

Bristol City are reported to be one of a number of Championship clubs showing interest in signing Aston Villa striker Scott Hogan.

Sheffield United are also reported to be interested in the Aston Villa forward who was signed from Brentford for £9m in January 2017.

Republic of Ireland international Hogan was not included in the Villa squad on Saturday as they beat Ipswich Town 2-1 in the Championship.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He was outstanding for 30 games. A very admirable purple patch.

He's been dog shit ever since and nothing remarkable before that.

We now have the same manager who got that purple patch out of him, and he still can't get near the team. He's crap.

but like I said, that's for the hogan thread. We can take up this debate in there if you like.

I found this little exchange interesting and have copied it across.

I don't know what to think on Hogan.  He's (or was in his purple patch) the kind of striker I like.  A proper predator.  But there's no doubt he's been absolutely garbage since we signed him.  I keep thinking it's just the system, but it feels too easy to say that.

Reading Stevo's post about a hell of a purple patch reminded me of how Adomah looked like the Championship Ronaldo for a chunk of last season and ended up our top scorer from the inside left position.  He now hasn't scored in something like 36 matches...

I think that since he is not playing he will not regain his confidence or any scoring touch.

And since Tammy is playing and doing it well Hogan will rightly not get a look in. And thus Smith will not get the best out of him.

as a player I'd say he's an average Championship poacher that in the right circumstances will get some goals but who on the whole is limited, like most championship attackers.

We just happened to spunk a silly amount of money on him and offer a contract that few if any will be willing to match. Like we did on so many players.

He might have a future here, but that future will likely be in a Villa side that is struggling and who don't have the funds needed to build a good side.

It's not a future I'm hoping to see.

And just to cover this side of the argument I still think he could have been used better during the time when scoring goals was our big issue. Doesn't mean i think he is a great player.

I don't.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, Smith can still get the best out of Hogan and he can still have a future here, Stevo985 doesn’t think so, what do others think?

If you’re essentially asking which is more likely - 

Option A - Smith getting the best out of him, let’s say one goal every other game or something similar to that.

or 

Option B - Hogan being stuck on our books/maybe loaned out until his contract has run down and is released.

Unfortunately Option B is far more likely in my opinion. He might have another short run of form which might lead us to think something has clicked. That’s not out of the question, but I’m expecting Option B to play out. 

9 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If you’re essentially asking which is more likely - 

Option A - Smith getting the best out of him, let’s say one goal every other game or something similar to that.

or 

Option B - Hogan being stuck on our books/maybe loaned out until his contract has run down and is released.

Unfortunately Option B is far more likely in my opinion. He might have another short run of form which might lead us to think something has clicked. That’s not out of the question, but I’m expecting Option B to play out. 

You think we’re going to release a £12m signing?

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think we’re going to release a £12m signing?

McCormack yes,

Hogan we might be able to move on if he is willing to accept lower wages somewhere else.

Â