Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

I think it comes down to the fact people don’t think he has really had a fair crack of the whip and he arrived having been scoring for fun. The Brentford fans loved him. If he can get a run under Smith and is still useless, I’d write him off. But I think he warrants one decent chance in the first team as a final chance to redeem himself.

If he can’t take it, he’s finished. Now Abraham is off he will never get a better chance to prove himself.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think it comes down to the fact people don’t think he has really had a fair crack of the whip and he arrived having been scoring for fun. The Brentford fans loved him. If he can get a run under Smith and is still useless, I’d write him off. But I think he warrants one decent chance in the first team as a final chance to redeem himself.

If he can’t take it, he’s finished. Now Abraham is off he will never get a better chance to prove himself.

He needs to earn a chance.

You don't just get put in as first choice for 10 games based on nothing.

You get games here and there and you show you've got something about you and earn more of a chance until you've made the position yours. Look at James Bree. He's been here for 2 years and never had a run. It wasn't up to the manager to just decide "I'm going to play Bree for 10 games". He gets the odd game here and there and now that he's finally showing a few good performances he seems like he might get a proper run.

Davis is another example. He got his chance last season because of injuries and he actually took it. He performed well when he was called upon and he earned his run in the team. When his performances dropped and people came back from injury etc he found himself back out of the team again.

These chances aren't just gifted to players.

Scott Hogan has been here for 2 years and has shown nothing. If he was coming on in games or when he gets his odd start and impressing then you would have a point. People would be saying yeah, he's shwon he needs a run in the team.

But he's showing nothing. We're not a charity for shit players. The guys is at least 3rd choice in that role. I'd argue he should be 4th or 5th. You don't just stick players like that up front for a "run in the team" on a whim. 

If Scott Hogan starts performing then he'll get a chance. While he continues to look absolute toilet every time he's on the pitch he won't. And rightly so.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I have hazy memory of around xmas/new year Hogan was selected and started scoring/playing well and then Bruce just dropped him again.

Don't think that's true.

He had a purple patch over maybe 4 or 5 games, then reverted to type and/or got injured.

He didn't come in, smash it and then get dropped just for a good laugh.

Give it a few years and we'll be blaming Bruce for Sasa Curcic not panning out as hoped......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I have hazy memory of around xmas/new year Hogan was selected and started scoring/playing well and then Bruce just dropped him again.

Bruce didn't just drop him.

He had a good January '18 where he scored 5 goals in 5 games.

The then started the next 5 games and didn't score at all. He then came on as sub in the next 4 and again didn't score. Then sporadically appeared for the remainder of the season, scoring one more goal.

So he wasn't just dropped. He performed well, got a run in the team until he stopped scoring. Was dropped for a far superior forward (Grabban) but still given game time as sub but made little impact and was gradually phased out. Which seems pretty sensible to me.

Which kind of backs up my earlier post. if he actually shows anything then he'll get a run. He clearly did then (actually more of a run than I remember). But while he's making odd appearances and doing nothing then he won't. You don't just get gifted a run in the team.

Edited by Stevo985

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Don't think that's true.

He had a purple patch over maybe 4 or 5 games, then reverted to type and/or got injured.

He didn't come in, smash it and then get dropped just for a good laugh.

Give it a few years and we'll be blaming Bruce for Sasa Curcic not panning out as hoped......

Bruce does take the blame for Hogan.  He bought the player wasting a big chunk of money on a player he had no idea of how to use or wasn't suited to the style of play he liked.

Just like Hogan, Brucies Villa had one purple patch at the start of the new year ending when we beat Wolves 4-1.

8 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Bruce does take the blame for Hogan.  He bought the player wasting a big chunk of money on a player he had no idea of how to use or wasn't suited to the style of play he liked.

Just like Hogan, Brucies Villa had one purple patch at the start of the new year ending when we beat Wolves 4-1.

He (or the whole transfer team) takes the blame for signing the player. Absolutely.

They don't take the blame for his shite performances though. he's now playing under the manager who produced his only good spell to date and he still looks crap (so far)

We can't persevere with giving him chances, he's absolutely a lost cause at this stage and now that Davis is fit again should be 4th choice at best in his position. The old cliché about strikers low on confidence is that chances don't come to them, or they can't find a bit of luck where a ball drops or an opportunity presents itself to them, but he's actually had those over the past few weeks and has just failed miserably at taking them. We're not going to make back anything near what we paid for him so might as well just cut our losses as soon as possible.

Edited by Indigo

Absolutely think we should try and get rid.

still think we'd get a few bob for him as he has scored goals at this level.

He's not good enough for where we want to be thou and he'll never play enough regular football here to regain any confidence in his scoring. and that's about all he has to offer in the first place.

Wages as always thou a stumbling block when we are trying to sell a player.

The contracts we have been offering are retarded.

Edited by sne

16 hours ago, Spoony said:

Then those people are utterly mad. How on earth has he not had a fair crack of the whip?

People treat him like he is some sort of poor victim. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Bruce didn't just drop him.

He had a good January '18 where he scored 5 goals in 5 games.

The then started the next 5 games and didn't score at all. He then came on as sub in the next 4 and again didn't score. Then sporadically appeared for the remainder of the season, scoring one more goal.

So he wasn't just dropped. He performed well, got a run in the team until he stopped scoring. Was dropped for a far superior forward (Grabban) but still given game time as sub but made little impact and was gradually phased out. Which seems pretty sensible to me.

Which kind of backs up my earlier post. if he actually shows anything then he'll get a run. He clearly did then (actually more of a run than I remember). But while he's making odd appearances and doing nothing then he won't. You don't just get gifted a run in the team.

We played some nice football in that run of games he scored and then went a bit pants. Whenever he has been asked to hold it up he fails, he's not that kind of player. Regardless it's a long way back from here for him. Had he scored at the weekend then who knows, but he didn't so now if gets a chance off the bench he needs to score. Rinse and repeat that a bit and he'd be back in the mix.

• 2 weeks later...
Â