Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

• 5 weeks later...

He’s not going anywhere so I hope he can do the business this season, hopefully he’ll be refreshed once he gets back to full fitness.

With enough quality around him he should be able to finish off most chances. If he doesn’t perform, then it should be his last season with us.

he can't put the ball in the net. dont think the supply line will make much difference.  technically he is very poor...falls over, the ball bounces off him, and gets caught offside a lot.

if we could iam sure we would get rid. dont see much game time for him this season

I'm looking forward to seeing him back with this attacking line up.

I think his positioning will aid us more than last year as more play will come through the middle.

In the current squad he would be my 1st choice.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think his positioning will aid us more than last year as more play will come through the middle.

I can't agree here. based on what would you have him as your preferred starter? I think he is a pretty limited player tbh.

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

If we keep the ball on the deck I wholeheartedly agree with you.

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I can't agree here. based on what would you have him as your preferred starter? I think he is a pretty limited player tbh.

Based on watching all our options and how they play. I'm not saying he would be perfect just that his skill set would offer us the best chance to score goals.

Specifically he is the only one of our strikers who plays on the shoulder of the last defender consistently. You know where he will be. This would be a lot better for a team coming through the middle, better than say kodjia that will often come to the flanks or drop back to get the ball.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Based on watching all our options and how they play. I'm not saying he would be perfect just that his skill set would offer us the best chance to score goals.

Specifically he is the only one of our strikers who plays on the shoulder of the last defender consistently. You know where he will be. This would be a lot better for a team coming through the middle, better than say kodjia that will often come to the flanks or drop back to get the ball.

The big flaw is when he receives the ball he struggles to control it, invariably  falls over, the ball bounces off him or he is offside - throw in the fact that he has scored in total around 7 goals here , and picks up a fair quota of long term injuries -  there are a whole myriad of obstacles to Hogan getting near the first 11 - let alone scoring in it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

The big flaw is when he receives the ball he struggles to control it, invariably  falls over, the ball bounces off him or he is offside - throw in the fact that he has scored in total around 7 goals here , and picks up a fair quota of long term injuries -  there are a whole myriad of obstacles to Hogan getting near the first 11 - let alone scoring in it.

As i said, not perfect.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

As long as we don't use those long balls for him to bring down and hold up. We need McGinn and Grealish to be popping balls through and the wingers hitting crosses low and hard.

15 minutes ago, Dick said:

As long as we don't use those long balls for him to bring down and hold up. We need McGinn and Grealish to be popping balls through and the wingers hitting crosses low and hard.

Statistically - you do realise the long ball argument doesn't hold up ? - From memory villa played the 3rd fewest long balls last season.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Statistically - you do realise the long ball argument doesn't hold up ? - From memory villa played the 3rd fewest long balls last season.

I'd say that most of the time when Hogan came on, we were chasing the game. When we chase the game we definitely panic and hit long. Even last night against Yeovil we were hitting Adomah regularly. 

10 minutes ago, Dick said:

I'd say that most of the time when Hogan came on, we were chasing the game. When we chase the game we definitely panic and hit long. Even last night against Yeovil we were hitting Adomah regularly. 

Not so sure - we only lost 3 home games last season. Hogan featured in a fair few home games other than those. I would agree though its pretty useless bringing on Hogan when you are in need of a goal. 

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not so sure - we only lost 3 home games last season. Hogan featured in a fair few home games other than those. I would agree though its pretty useless bringing on Hogan when you are in need of a goal. 

Do you not agree that we need more defence splitting balls, low crosses and creative okay to benefit Hogan and Kodjia? Kodjia gets so frustrated he tries to do it all himself 

Also, I'd probably say long ball is the wrong term, high ball makes more sense. Balls aimed at players head and chest.

Edited by Dick

Â