Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

20 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You won't find many fans who enjoy criticising Bruce more than me, however there is no way anyone can blame bruce's tactics for Scott Hogan being awful. 

Not many villa players have had myths built up around them than Hogan. World class movement and goals given the right service all became laughable the more he played. 

One 30 game spell of being good in the championship. That's because he isn't very good, nothing to do with Bruce. 

Now if you want to complain about a panic signing and a complete waste of money, then Bruce takes some of the blame. 

Sorry I disagree - did Bruce do his homework on Hogan ?if yes then of course Bruce is to blame - who else can be blamed - if he didn't do his homework he is even more culpable imo 

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Sorry I disagree - did Bruce do his homework on Hogan ?if yes then of course Bruce is to blame - who else can be blamed - if he didn't do his homework he is even more culpable imo 

That adds to the fact Bruce is to blame for the signing. It's not his fault that Hogan is a shit player. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That adds to the fact Bruce is to blame for the signing. It's not his fault that Hogan is a shit player. 

It's literally exactly what you said :D

He's to blame for the signing. He's not to blame for Hogan's lack of ability.

Hogan wasn't an amazing player who we made shit. He's a shit player that we shouldn't have signed and paid way too much for. That's Bruce's fault. The shitness part isn't.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's literally exactly what you said :D

He's to blame for the signing. He's not to blame for Hogan's lack of ability.

Hogan wasn't an amazing player who we made shit. He's a shit player that we shouldn't have signed and paid way too much for. That's Bruce's fault. The shitness part isn't.

It's impossible to separate the two - 

on your basis Hogan must have been a rubbish footballer before Bruce signed him - so whose fault is it that the man cannot spot a footballer when he see's one.

He is totally to blame for wasting £12  mill of our money 

24 minutes ago, Dave J said:

It's impossible to separate the two - 

on your basis Hogan must have been a rubbish footballer before Bruce signed him - so whose fault is it that the man cannot spot a footballer when he see's one.

He is totally to blame for wasting £12  mill of our money 

It is impossible to not separate them. 

One is about the talent of the player and the other about bringing him to the club. They're 2 completely different issues.  

42 minutes ago, momo said:

And Bruce is responsible for investing £2.5 in McGinn. But whatever, this one player didn't work out, so he must be shit. Booooooring argument!

I think Bruce’s recruitment over all wasn’t so bad. Some successes some failures. The policy of recruiting older players towards the end of their careers was however the wrong one. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It is impossible to not separate them. 

One is about the talent of the player and the other about bringing him to the club. They're 2 completely different issues.  

The way I see the situation is this - Regardless of Hogan's ability and everyone has a view on this.

Bruce spent £12million of our clubs money on a player he couldn't get a tune out of - as an Aston Villa fan this is the only thing that really concerns me. Why on earth would you want to excuse Bruce his role in the whole sorry saga.

From a personal standpoint I believe Hogan will again Score goals at his current level.

Let's talk about Steve Bruce a year after he's gone in the Scott Hogan thread because these arguments based around context and semantics never get old. 

Inject this thread into my vains. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know this is what you're saying anyway, but I don't even think Hogan is that good. I'm not even sure he's a poor man's Marcus Stewart. 

Yeah the comparison was purely that he had one good season in his whole career.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah the comparison was purely that he had one good season in his whole career.

The problem is that he’s a poor man’ Scott Hogan. By which I mean we bought him on the strength of a fairly brief peak in his career, we clearly didn’t do enough proper due diligence, as you’ve pointed out. 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

The way I see the situation is this - Regardless of Hogan's ability and everyone has a view on this.

Bruce spent £12million of our clubs money on a player he couldn't get a tune out of - as an Aston Villa fan this is the only thing that really concerns me. Why on earth would you want to excuse Bruce his role in the whole sorry saga.

From a personal standpoint I believe Hogan will again Score goals at his current level.

Where did I excuse Bruce for his part? I've criticised him numerous times for this signing, and said he is responsible m.

But it isn't his fault Hogan is shit. 

Hogan's problem is he never got off to a quick start. Pretty sure his second game was Newcastle away when he went off injured, then he came back and got another injury and by the time he was fully fit our season was just drifting away.

He had a nice little run around New year 2018 (Bristol City 5-0 was one game where he looked like the striker we thought we were getting) and then it fizzled out again. As others have said Lewis Grabban came in and looked far more effective and suited the Bruce style far more.

Think by time Dean came in his confidence was totally shock and probably to DS a completely different player to the one he had at Brentford.

I'm still convinced SB signed him purely off his goalscoring stats, similar to Di Matteo signing McCormack.

Hogan sums up the scattergun approach of recent seasons similar to signing McCormack and Lansbury and even Hourihane. Signed for big money because the stats looked good and nobody had probably even watched him

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hogan sums up the scattergun approach of recent seasons similar to signing McCormack and Lansbury and even Hourihane. Signed for big money because the stats looked good and nobody had probably even watched him

McCormack did great over several seasons until he was signed, Lansbury injured a lot, Hourihane rose to the challenge.

Bruce liked to sign old experienced players that he thought could deal with the pressure and situation simply because he was terrified of getting the sack as he knew we were a sleeping giant, and probably (although we now know different) his last big club, it unfortunately was a catch 22 because they didn’t perform and ultimately let him down but he wouldn’t change his ways which cost him. He never trusted hogan because he never delivered.

Â