Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

On 20/03/2019 at 18:51, skarroki said:

Smith got the best out of him before. If he's here I'm sure he'll use him effectively. If he's not then he's wages off the book. Can't really lose with this guy. The fee and wages are already written off now may as well use him as best we can in the side. 

He didn't really. He managed to stay fit at the same time as he went on a scoring run - as strikers do - scoring 13 goals in 18 games (according to Wiki, which is all I could be arsed to check).

18 games doesn't constitute enough of a run to judge a player who does nothing else. There could have been 5 penalties in that run (Wiki didn't specify). We should not have spent this much money and paid this much wages for someone with his record of goals and injuries. 

• Like 1

Regardless of his current form, it is surely absolutely damning that the one manager to get a tune out of Hogan in the past (Smith) has decided to loan him out rather than keep him in the squad. Just goes to show you, even with his good form at Brentford under his belt, Dean Smith recognises Hogan for what he is: a limited player suitable for a mid-championship team, not one with promotion hopes.

14 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Regardless of his current form, it is surely absolutely damning that the one manager to get a tune out of Hogan in the past (Smith) has decided to loan him out rather than keep him in the squad. Just goes to show you, even with his good form at Brentford under his belt, Dean Smith recognises Hogan for what he is: a limited player suitable for a mid-championship team, not one with promotion hopes.

This.

That half a season at Brentford is getting further and further away.

• Like 1

I know it’s a cliche but the old ‘form is temporary, class is permanent’ axiom is true here. There’s more one hit wonder about Hogan than any sort of enduring ability.

Shame, he’s got a good attitude and I wanted him to be really good, he’s just not. 

I don't think he's a bad player we just have a very strong line up of strikers at villa who are more versatile than Scott. It's unfortunate he was loaned to a club who also have good strikers maybe a loan to a club who will play him would be a more sensible choice. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2019 at 09:31, Dr_Pangloss said:

Unless Sheffield have a purchase clause I don't get loaning him to a promotion rival, there appears to be no real benefit our end, he's not even getting a good run of games there.

Sabotage? 

• Haha 1

On 14/04/2019 at 08:29, tinker said:

I don't think he's a bad player we just have a very strong line up of strikers at villa who are more versatile than Scott. It's unfortunate he was loaned to a club who also have good strikers maybe a loan to a club who will play him would be a more sensible choice. 

I expect we loaned him to whoever would pay the highest percentage of his wages. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It's staggering we spent 25m on him and mccormack. Its entirely belieavble unfortunately looking back at the incompetent Muppets who were responsible for managing the club.

Actually fixed.

• Haha 3

On 12/04/2019 at 08:47, Stevo985 said:

This.

That half a season at Brentford is getting further and further away.

I think his loan was much more to do with the strikers we have  - Tammy and Kodjia with Davies as back up. Seems to me that Smith has got a lot out of players who were being vilified on VT - Taylor and Whelan anyone? I agree he is probably a championship player but a good one

On 14/04/2019 at 08:29, tinker said:

Can’t say I agree with this. IMO he IS a bad player. I was all for giving him a fair crack of the whip under Smith and I thought he would be a revalation. I was so so wrong. 

• Like 1

R

Player Shots ShotsOT KeyPasses PA% AerialsWon Touches Rating Key Events
1   Dean Henderson 22, GK 0 0 0 36.7 0 35 6.88  
2   John Egan 26, DC 1 0 0 71.4 2 27 7.38  
3   Jack O'Connell 25, DC 0 0 0 60.7 1 40 7.19  
4   Martin Cranie 32, DC 0 0 0 56.3 4 53 7.38  
5   George Baldock 26, MR 1 0 1 70 2 58 7.72  
6   John Fleck 27, MC 1 1 3 71.8 1 54 7.82  
7   Oliver Norwood 28, MC 0 0 0 66.7 2 40 6.69  
8   Enda Stevens 28, ML 2 1 1 74.2 2 62 8.51  
9   Mark Duffy (59′) 33, AMC 0 0 3 83.3 3 39 7.27  
10   David McGoldrick (89′) 31, FW 4 2 1 73.7 4 43 9.06

11   Scott Hogan (70′) 27, FW 1 0 0 88.9 0 13 6.38

17 hours ago, Mantis said:

I keep forgetting he exists tbh. We really did blow a lot of money down the drain that first season we came down.

Maybe we had the last Laugh....getting Dean.

Its like they had our trousers down.....Then we had theirs down.

Â