Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

22 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I think with McGinn & Grealish in the team Hogan is a far better option up front than Kodija and likely to score far more goals with some quick balls played to him rather than just lumping it up to him on his own for much of last year.

Oh yeh, I forgot the reason Hogan can't pass, control or dribble is because of the rest of the team. 

3 hours ago, TRO said:

There have been many players who have forged a good career at Villa Park, who's previous clubs have played different to us....It happens all the time.

Alan Shearer touched on the self same point not long ago and said......A professional footballer playing at this level has to adapt.

I don't know what he is or isn't doing.....but if it was me, I would be back grafting every afternoon when the others had gone and fine tuning my game.....I would be in that first team.

I know players too, who would take the same view.

I can tell you as a fact.....No one would have taken Andy Gray's shirt off him.

Scott Hogan is not the biggest to be playing that role and with high balls it is difficult, I accept that.....But players like Dean Saunders, David Speedie, and Craig Bellemy, made a fist of it.....Kenny Dalglish, was smaller than Scott.....Scott is the same height as Andy.

Scott needs to demonstrate more aggression......More aggression with himself to master his game and more aggression with the opposition in gaining the advantage.

Excellent summary of Hogan's current inadequacies - I like the examples of similar players in regards to physical stature.

On 15/08/2018 at 19:00, Dave J said:

I feel you should refine this to say which Aston Villa manager - and add on - didn't have a clue how to integrate him into his team ?

Funny how jota has been a flop so far at Blues.....it seems Brentford players don't travel well.

but interestingly they scored 10 goals less than us last season and conceded 10 goals more.....so 20 goal difference.

I think Dave we can all glean what ever we want.

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

Funny how jota has been a flop so far at Blues.....it seems Brentford players don't travel well.

but interestingly they scored 10 goals less than us last season and conceded 10 goals more.....so 20 goal difference.

I think Dave we can all glean what ever we want.

There's no escaping that Bruce gave Brentford £12mill and cannot get a tune out of him TRO - it is far from being all down to Hogan imo - as for Jota if they don't want him down the road - I'll have him here 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eholm said:

Excellent summary of Hogan's current inadequacies - I like the examples of similar players in regards to physical stature.

Peter Crouch was not great in the air until much later in his career - sticks was rubbish until he went wide and gained more sucess coming from the flank and move the ball forward.

whatever anyone thinks of Hogan - he will leave VP and just you watch them start flying in again - he will be a better player for his Aston Villa disappointment - imo 

• Like 1

Maybe so Dave, however, I do think he needs to improve his first touch and overall 'aggression' to attempt to win the ball more effectively; I wasn't really referring to heading ability as such, just overall ability to win the ball or at least put himself in defenders faces more often.

I agree, though that we will never see the goalscorer we expected at VP.....would love for him to prove me wrong though.

13 hours ago, Dave J said:

Peter Crouch was not great in the air until much later in his career - sticks was rubbish until he went wide and gained more sucess coming from the flank and move the ball forward.

whatever anyone thinks of Hogan - he will leave VP and just you watch them start flying in again - he will be a better player for his Aston Villa disappointment - imo 

He'd have to be fit.

Not only has Hogan looked pants, but he's also been injured for about 70% of his time here.

according to youtube vid called team mates I watched with Hutton and Whelan, well they said Hogan doesn't mix very well he must be a shy lad. It's up to Bruce to bring him out of his shell and reap the rewards. It's called man management.

Blow some smoke up his ring piece and make him a cake. He'll repay with goals.

Hutton & Whelan both said on that Teammates video that he doesnt get involved at all in the whatsapp group which is interesting. Always had the impression he doesnt fit in here. He's a tryer whos had one tiny purple patch last season and a hell of a lot of injuries. Wasted money. I think the majority of fans have always been behind him and wanted him to succeed but it looks unlikely. There have been glimpses but they are too far and few between; would be nice to see what he can do with McGinn, Grealish & Hourihane behind him.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

How the hell can he be injured all through summer and into the new season? 

Strained his back reaching for another Tequila Sunrise in Dubai? 

think he got injured first couple of days of pre-season

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

He'd have to be fit.

Not only has Hogan looked pants, but he's also been injured for about 70% of his time here.

And you could say herein lies the problem - Bruce himself spoke of the effects of long term injury on Kodjia - so maybe Hogan should be cut some slack ?

18 hours ago, Dave J said:

There's no escaping that Bruce gave Brentford £12mill and cannot get a tune out of him TRO - it is far from being all down to Hogan imo - as for Jota if they don't want him down the road - I'll have him here 

well there isn't anyone else putting on his football boots Dave.

.........What do they say a bad workman always blames his tools.

It just seems funny to me how the coaching at Yeovil, didn't stop 2 of our quality players transforming things and securing the win.

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

And you could say herein lies the problem - Bruce himself spoke of the effects of long term injury on Kodjia - so maybe Hogan should be cut some slack ?

Maybe.

4 hours ago, screwdriver said:

according to youtube vid called team mates I watched with Hutton and Whelan, well they said Hogan doesn't mix very well he must be a shy lad. It's up to Bruce to bring him out of his shell and reap the rewards. It's called man management.

should have gone to Wimbledon, when they were in their pomp, they had a method of alleviating shyness......In a closed dressing room with Fashanu or Jones, you soon come out with confidence.....and it had a habit of staying with you.

On 17/08/2018 at 11:40, screwdriver said:

I wouldn’t read too much into that video. They also said that Albert doesn’t join the WhatsApp chat and he looks like he loves it here 

Edited by mikeyp102

Â