Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

He had to make those chances himself though. The hull one was all him, the Cardiff one was a lucky bounce and he done well to get in front of the defender, turn and create it for himself.

I know he should've put them away, both were good saves by the keeper though, but he gets **** all service and imagine the frustration he suffers for 90 minutes when he knows he will probably get 1 chance and have to create it himself.

I think with better service from midfield, he would score goals. You may disagree but that's football.

I'm on about the deflected cross that fell to him 6 yards out. 

I'm sure better service would help but unless he gets the perfect pass he's useless. He's looking very much like weimman out there. 

It's no wonder we can't keep the ball or build a decent attack when our main striker is so poor at the basics. 

Think he gets lots of excuses made for him 

He's unable to get himself in the game. Once again touched the ball far less than others on both teams. Completed 5 passes.

In 2 games of football our lead forward has completed 10 passes to his teammates. 

And people wonder why we struggle. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's unable to get himself in the game. Once again touched the ball far less than others on both teams. Completed 5 passes.

In 2 games of football our lead forward has completed 10 passes to his teammates. 

That's a bit harsh, I know you're not, but it sounds like your putting a lot of the blame all on Hogan. If the ball is going towards him and he has no one within 20/30 yards of him, what can he do when he gets it? 

I don't think people are making excuses for him, I think we are trying to say that if we play to his strengths, then he will score goals. We clearly won't do that under Bruce so as long as he's in charge, Hogan will struggle.

26 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

If Bruce had been supposedly watching him for a while it’s even more worrying he hasn’t a clue how to use him. Will struggle to get double digits here as it stands.

Do we know if he was a lone striker at Brentford or? When you sign a player who scores that amount of goals you need to play to their strengths - simple as that. 

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree with that. It's woeful.

I still think there's goals there if we play some football. 

Wouodnt exactly be amazed to find that is not the case though either.

However he has to stay in the side he's the only guy who can get above walking pace lol.

33 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

If Bruce had been supposedly watching him for a while it’s even more worrying he hasn’t a clue how to use him. Will struggle to get double digits here as it stands.

I was appalled at the time. Hogan was quoted in the Matchday program as saying Bruce's main requirement from him was hard work, and that goals were a bonus . WTF ?

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I was appalled at the time. Hogan was quoted in the Matchday program as saying Bruce's main requirement from him was hard work, and that goals were a bonus . WTF ?

To be fair, Terry, that might be a thing to help with confidence - man management  - i.e. "relax about not scoring many goals yet, keep working hard...."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

To be fair, Terry, that might be a thing to help with confidence - man management  - i.e. "relax about not scoring many goals yet, keep working hard...."

True.

Although he might have done better to say"don't worry about working hard, just score goals " !:)

• Haha 2

It's difficult to judge any player in Bruce's 'system'.

Does any one of 25 or so players have any credit since Bruce came in?

I really sympathise with Hogan. I really like what I've seen of him but we seem to have no clue on how to get the best out of him.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

That's a bit harsh, I know you're not, but it sounds like your putting a lot of the blame all on Hogan. If the ball is going towards him and he has no one within 20/30 yards of him, what can he do when he gets it? 

I don't think people are making excuses for him, I think we are trying to say that if we play to his strengths, then he will score goals. We clearly won't do that under Bruce so as long as he's in charge, Hogan will struggle.

I don't think it's all Hogan's fault but I don't buy into this idea it's all down to service and him not getting the ball. 

Now I admit the way we play probably doesn't always help him and if we are being honest only 1 or 2 players have performed consistently well under Bruce. 

But I do think he's a problem, his touch is poor and if the ball is played to feet with a defender near him his ability to keep the ball is woeful, as is his ability to bring others into play. His movement is starting to reach mythical levels similar to Kozak's natural finishing ability. And while on the subject of finishing I think the idea he will score goals is overrated. As I've said previously, at the age of 25 you can only point to a period of 32 games where he's performed at his highest level, that's nothing to suggest he's a guaranteed goal scorer. 

He looks nothing like a £12 million striker and whoever pulled out the deal at West ham made a sensible decision. 

There's also no way we scouted him and wanted him for months and months. He was a panic buy, which unfortunately meant we've overpaid and he's joined a team that has no idea to help him perform to his best. 

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

McCormack and Hogan. It not rocket science to try it. McCormack not the player he was at Fulham or Leeds but he a better option than a 90 minute Gabby or Chris Samba

Depends on the effort he's making at BMH, the lifestyle he leads away from football and the physical/mental condition he keeps himself in. Not a good example to our younger players if we select players who don't give a monkeys.

• Like 1

Â