Neil Taylor

One For The Road

Not a big Taylor fan, but I thought he had a decent game today. His movement off the ball was excellent, and he also won the ball back high up the pitch a few times. He did give the ball away a few times, but most of those were where we were completely boxed into our own corner, or he was trying to cross into a box of 8 defenders.

• Like 3

There was a moment today when he received the ball near the edge of the box and there was no forward or sideways pass on.  He literally just froze, didn't try to turn and play it back, just stood there with the ball at his feet till a Baggies player strolled in and took it off him. 

I've never seen a player with so little attacking ability.  I know why he refuses to cross the ball, it's because everytime he does it's an awful cross, so he always passes it straight back to whoever gave it to him instead.  Must be a defenders dream. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There was a moment today when he received the ball near the edge of the box and there was no forward or sideways pass on.  He literally just froze, didn't try to turn and play it back, just stood there with the ball at his feet till a Baggies player strolled in and took it off him. 

He did that at least half a dozen times, recieved the ball tons of space to go into, and he kills it dead and just stares forward looking for a pass.
He so much better when the game is stretched and he doesn't have time or space to (over)think.

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't rate Taylor a whole lot, but he has been part of our winning streak so I am probably wrong in that. My main issue with Hause is how stupidly one footed he is. Once you turn him on the wrong foot he is like an elephant on roller skates. I don't trust his positioning one bit. 

Don't get me wrong I am willing to give most players the time to improve and even prove me wrong, but I am not sure the last two matches in the season is that right time for it. Even if I think Taylor has been poor, I won't drop him now when he's been part of a very good run and we are 2 matches away from being a Premier League team again. 

The bit in bold.. surely thats the reason why we have to play the better player?

There is no way on earth Taylor is as good on the ball or as intelligent as Hause with it. Hause only played a few games at left back before he got injured but showed so much more ability there.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think he was so bad, Elmo wasted the ball more than him. He isn't an attacking full back and he never will but today he tried to be effective in attack 

That’s nice that he tried.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I know the one you mean. 

Horrid. Really made me laugh though. Stuck in the mud.

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've never seen a player with so little attacking ability.  I know why he refuses to cross the ball, it's because everytime he does it's an awful cross, so he always passes it straight back to whoever gave it to him instead.  Must be a defenders dream. 

Petsonally I think all of  our forward players are guilty of that in recent weeks.

Imo nothing worries a defence more than pace...the way we slow it down in the final 3rd makes no sense to me.

The reason he actually got on so much ball was because baggies actually let him have it as a tactic. They didn't bother close him down or cover him when he was in a dangerous position with the ball because they knew he could do absolutely nothing with it. It says it all when a 30 year old professional footballer with over 300 football league games ,playing as an attacking fullback for a lot of that time has 0 senior career goals.

35 minutes ago, limvillian said:

The reason he actually got on so much ball was because baggies actually let him have it as a tactic. They didn't bother close him down or cover him when he was in a dangerous position with the ball because they knew he could do absolutely nothing with it. It says it all when a 30 year old professional footballer with over 300 football league games ,playing as an attacking fullback for a lot of that time has 0 senior career goals.

Like teams used to do with Hutton. 

Full back situation really is dire for a team fighting for promotion.

• Like 1

I thought he played well first half and there was one cross that came into the box that would have resulted in a shot at goal had it not been for Taylor being around on the cover. 

He didn't play quite so well in the second half but overall he looked decent to me. 

Having said that, I did think Hause looked good when he was playing left back. 

It's hard not to agree with everyone regarding Taylor's abilities with the ball. But I think his overlapping distracts opponents somewhat, even if they've found him out and let him have the ball. They can't completely discard him. So I can live with him at the moment, he is much improved, together with the whole team. No way you throw him out now.

Edited by AVTuco

I alway like see full back do these

Defend:

Stick narrow gap in backline and capacity win header, strength to create tight line to make hard for cross in or killer pass (with winger support and become double last man in line straight to extra)

General play:

Can play pass and move and high stamina to running to up and down come support midfield to cycle passing or stay wide to drag opponent winger or space width to push forwarded.

Attack:

Capacity produce dangerous cross or killer pass from deep area. And overlap to create space to attack and (1st option: running to byline and pass to any villa players to goal / 2nd option low cross whip to area / 3rd "lobbing pass to far post to finish off) 

which is Elmo is actually do it very good for us in attack term but I never rate his defence ability yet

Hause were much better defence that Taylor and Elmo but attack skill is not bad he can better if he play there often... I prefer him play centre half but not mind him play if other centre half filled.

Taylor is quiet good defence but not premiership level but his attack is horrible and passing is get much better compare start of season which I pride for this that confidence is lower he need break through in attack area he just need often cross and pray if poor it is ok as good start to build these skill.

that why I want see new left back No offence Taylor..it is my option.

I not sure about Guilbert but I hear load about him treat in French league and he can handle good deal with psg and Lyon, monaco, Marseilles and threat them.. hope see him action premiership see if he can handle I would prefer take him last Jan to seeing if he can handle but understand club want keep him to staying in French league 1 sad they relegated to league 2.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
Forget add comment about hause.

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

For me it's just about never changing a winning side. 

Our last 13 matches how many has Taylor started and Hause respectively ? 

During the 10 game winning run Hause played in 5 - got injured during the Shef W game.

It wasnt a winning side going into yesterdays game btw, 

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

During the 10 game winning run Hause played in 5 - got injured during the Shef W game.

It wasnt a winning side going into yesterdays game btw, 

I am aware. Hause played the match we drew against Leeds. 

I'm really sorry guys, I'm just not seeing what everyone else seems to be seeing. I really tried tonight to get behind him, but sorry I just see a guy who doesnt know what to do when he receives the ball.

Everyone has been raving about him, some even giving him man of the match in the first leg.. I don't get it

If the only reason he is in the team is to not disrupt the starting xi then thats just ridiculous, we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

We knew WBA would bombard the box with high balls, and they scored from it too. Hause must be bemused.

• Like 2

He's good at nipping in last second and it looks impressive when half the time it shouldn't have been needed at all. Hause looks just as/if not more comfortable on the ball and has the added height to defend the high balls.

I understand why he's still playing despite that as frustrating as it may be. He won't be the starting LB next season 99% guaranteed whatever league we are in.

Neil is very safe and bland for a player who is capable of getting himself into really great positions which is a strength many full backs wish they had. Whether it be confidence or just limited ability, he doesn't make enough of the space he has for himself. It's usually just squaring a ball back to someone with little space themselves or a dinked/floated in cross. At lower levels a big lump may get on the end of them but with better quality defenders, that shit doesn't fly. 

Crosses with pace is always the enemy, it leaves little time to deal with it. It isn't rocket science. 

• Like 1

Â