Neil Taylor

One For The Road

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We are getting a player who has over 100 PL appearances plus £5m for someone who can barely hold down a place in a mid table Championship side...and we are getting our pants pulled down on this deal?

Okay.

Quite :)

Said in the transfer thread its a shame it's not 8 years ago. Good player, never quite the same after his ankle injury imo but is undoubtedly an upgrade on Cissokho.

Be well happy with all of this.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're taking issue with then, you've lost me bud. 

We have a young player in the position already. In this case (not every case) I think we should continue to blood Amavi and in the meanwhile supplement him with a more experienced player. From that you have extrapolated all sorts of stuff and I have no clue where you've got the idea from that I am "in the new school camp of only buying players to fill positions."

I was just being facetious :)

You started a conversation with yourself and never directly responded to anything I actually said!

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Don't understand the hate this deal is getting. Taylor is a very good player, if asked if he could replace Hutton on right instead of playing on left. Taylor played very well during the Euros and has a good reputation. Ayew could be a good player but it's clear it isn't working for him with us. It hasn't quite gelled. Plus we get 5mill too. What's wrong with this deal exactly?

Taylor is shit and Ayew is worth far more than £6m.

4 minutes ago, SwansFan said:

My views on Taylor... hopefully they're quite balanced.

He's only ever played left back for us to my recollection. He had a couple of games at RB in the Olympics in 2012 but none since.

I saw someone say he could play in midfield. God knows where they got that from. Unless they mean wing back where he's played for Wales. He started there earlier in the season against Chelsea and was taken off after about 40 minutes he was so bad.

He's never been booed by the Swans fans to my knowledge. He's probably had fans having a pop and getting on his back out of frustration over the last season or so but never booed. Certainly not roundly.

That said, he's not the most popular player in our squad. Part of the reason for this i think is firstly because his agent seems to stir up stories linking him away quite regularly, he is seen as being a bit of a trouble maker around the squad (general consensus is that he's a bit of a dick and has undermined past managers) and there was quite a big backlash against him when he threw his toys out of the pram when being taken off against Chelsea by Guidolin.

There is also a belief that he has been spared criticism by the local press due to them wanting him to do interviews for both Swansea and Wales but also the fact that they seem to get "exclusives" on him... usually "Taylor linked with [insert poor Premier League club here]" only for him to sign a new contract shortly afterwards. That story about the Spurs game is the prime example- he was just as bad as everyone else... he's got the same agent as Ashley Williams who used to do the same and whilst he was a great player for us, did come with a certain amount of hyperbole in the local press.

What is quite telling is that even after the euphoria of the Welsh effort this summer, not many Swans fans wanted him to start for us come August.

He had a good season in the championship in 2010/11 after we signed him from Wrexham. He played quite well in the first season in the Premiership then got injured 3 or 4 games into the following year (Sept 2012) ruling him out for pretty much the entire season. As the window had just closed, Ben Davies stepped up from our youth team and was a revelation.

Taylor didn't get a look in until Davies was sold in the summer of 2014. Since then, it's pretty much been accepted by Swans fans that a LB is required to replace him, mainly due to his total lack of attacking prowess or crossing ability and being part of a leaky defence.

This season he has been pretty poor and at times Stephen Kingsley has been preferred to him. He's mainly been first choice, though I have to say he's probably one of the worst first choice full backs in the league. There's also a belief that if we hadn't chopped and changed managers, he'd have had less games than he has. Just as it was felt that Guidolin had worked him out, he went and Bradley came in and Taylor became a regular starter again... Clement took him off 70 minutes into his first game.

He's reasonable enough in his defensive duties but prone to making a glaring error or two. He seems to try quite hard in fairness and is a battler. Not blessed with much pace but not noticeably slow either.

Swans fans are jumping for joy that he's going although the reaction is probably a bit over the top. I think he'll do okay for you guys but without being spectacular. If he's been valued at around £4m, that's probably about right.

Thanks for the insight SwansFan. Seems a strange transfer from Bruce and Round. Almost as though they've plumped for him. 

Sounds like he won't pull up any trees and will most likely be behind Amavi in the pecking order. 

Taylor is one of those players who I've never paid any attention to, even in the Euros I can't remember him. Chester on the other hand I felt was class and has proved to be this season. 

1 minute ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

He reminds me of Nicky Shorey, nice footballer but a bit lightweight,

I wouldn't say he was particularly lightweight and doesn't have any real problems with the physical side of the game.

He's just a very limited player. Average in defence and absolutely clueless going forward. 

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Considering Palace paid £26m for Schlupp and Van Aanholt I don't mind us spending £4m on Taylor.

Personally I think that's a reasonable enough price. 

Without quoting the whole message - my mate (Swans season ticket holder) has said almost exactly the same as @SwansFan.  Good player when he first arrived - not quite recovered the same form after his injury.  He also mentioned that much of the "criticism" has almost been because the local press have been very pro Taylor (for both Swans and Wales) and so he seems immune from fault.  Maybe being away from Wales might do him some good? 

Overall I'm thinking he sounds like a decent Championship player.  Not sure he's PL class - would be slightly surprised if he is dropping a division to be back-up - so I am a bit worried that this might result in Amavi getting less playing time (as I still think Amavi could be a PL star).  If he has been signed as back-up then I actually think it's pretty good and will definitely strengthen our options.

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So is he any good or what? 

Probably, but only if the plan is to make Amavi play further up and have Taylor play LB.

Taylor is likely a better defender than Amavi. Though Amavi is a better attacking player than Taylor.

We could wind up upgrading the left hand side a fair bit if this is our plan.

• Like 1

Â