Neil Taylor

One For The Road

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve said it before and il say it again. How the hell have we now gone one and a half seasons with one natural left back in the squad!!

its criminal. 

Now I think about it, we have notoriously had full back issues as far back as I can remember!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Now I think about it, we have notoriously had full back issues as far back as I can remember!

why was Amavi sold 😪 always thought he was the left back we always needed. Was Taylor brought in as his replacement?

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It’s becoming like something out of the MON book of leftbacks.

Hasnt got a decent right back so puts a class centre back there. Left back gets injured so buys a new right back and left back. New left back is crap so puts centre half back at right back and new right back at left back. 

Centre half that plays right back leaves so buys a new right back and a new centre half. Plays new centre half at right back. 

You can’t make this s**t up. 

Edit: that was all under MON when we were successful! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Did Smith say in his post match interview he should be in contention for QPR? Hope so. Need balance at the back. 

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/12/blogs/smith-confirms-double-aston-villa-return-this-week/

“I think the game being a few days away will come too soon for Henri and Neil Taylor but they could be back for Swansea.”

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s becoming like something out of the MON book of leftbacks.

Hasnt got a decent right back so puts a class centre back there (Mellberg). Left back (Bouma) gets injured so buys a new right back (Luke Young) and left back (Nicky Shorey). New left back (Shorey) is crap so puts centre half back at right back and new right back (Luke Young) at left back. 

Centre half that plays right back (Mellberg) leaves so buys a new right back (Habib Beye) and a new centre half (Cuellar). Plays new centre half at right back. 

You can’t make this s**t up. 

Edit: that was all under MON when we were successful! 

Think I've got the names you're talking about right?? He also played Nigel Reo-Coker, who was pretty highly rated when we signed him, and Craig Gardner at right back for most of their Villa careers too. He'd never get away with that these days as the full back role has changed so much in the last ten years, so you can't just stick a centre back in there to keep it tight anymore. He was still refusing to play Matt Doherty (who's one of the PL's stand-out right backs at the moment) when he got sacked from the ROI job a few weeks back.

O'Neill goes on the basis of select 11 big characters, inflate their egos, send them out on the pitch and let them sort themselves out. It did work well for us to an extent to be fair.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Think I've got the names you're talking about right?? He also played Nigel Reo-Coker, who was pretty highly rated when we signed him, and Craig Gardner at right back for most of their Villa careers too. He'd never get away with that these days as the full back role has changed so much in the last ten years, so you can't just stick a centre back in there to keep it tight anymore. He was still refusing to play Matt Doherty (who's one of the PL's stand-out right backs at the moment) when he got sacked from the ROI job a few weeks back.

O'Neill goes on the basis of select 11 big characters, inflate their egos, send them out on the pitch and let them sort themselves out. It did work well for us to an extent to be fair.

Spot on. It’s bizarre he wouldn’t address the balance of the defence even though he was completely backed in the transfer market.  Then again this is the guy that sold Cahill and bought Zat Knight.

saying all that he has still been our best manager for years!

keeping on topic I know Taylor isn’t very good and doesn’t have many fans. I still think we look a better team with him at LB and Hutton at RB.

3 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Would it be a toss up between Warnock and Bouma as our last decent LB. Warnock started well and went to shit.  

Probably Bouma. Warnock had one good season.

just thinking about our fullbacks and they really are crucial to the way Smith wants us to play for them to overlap. In addition we also need energetic midfields to cover the gaps left when full backs bomb on.

I wouldn’t be suprised to see a new RB and LB in jan. I think he will be backed the way Bruce was in his first transfer window. But he will also probably be using the summer budget if we don’t go up. 

16 hours ago, Mr.Messy said:

why was Amavi sold 😪 always thought he was the left back we always needed. Was Taylor brought in as his replacement?

Yeah Taylor was bought in because Amavi was atrocious. When Taylor signed, he missed 5 games for us for the rest of the season, which Amavi played at left back. We lost all of them and conceded 14 goals. I remember the Barnsley and Reading games where Amavi was made to look like a non-league player. Whatever Amavi goes on to do with his career, Taylor was a massive upgrade at the time, and we were right to sell him.

For comparison, in the 14 games Taylor played, we conceded 6 goals. The difference was huge.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

I honestly hated him at left back, but he has improved under Smith and seeing Elmo and Hutton at fullback has made me long for him to return. The guy can't kick a football very well but he can at least position himself properly and do some of the basics of defending. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â