Neil Taylor

One For The Road

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Didnt he get an assist?

Technically, yes.  I mean, he didn't beat his man and cross it, instead he had to turn inside and pass the ball backwards/sidewards to El Ghazi who finished superbly from out the box.  But sure, it's still an assist.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Technically, yes.  I mean, he didn't beat his man and cross it, instead he had to turn inside and pass the ball backwards/sidewards to El Ghazi who finished superbly from out the box.  But sure, it's still an assist.

Makes sense, didnt see the game but was surprised to see his name on the assist column :lol:

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Makes sense, didnt see the game but was surprised to see his name on the assist column :lol:

In fairness, I've just watched it back and I'm completely wrong - it's a great pass to El Ghazi :D 

• Like 1

@Stevo985 can’t seem to find your last post to me so but got an email notification.

To he clear I single out your criticism of Taylor because I’ve always found you to be quite fair to players when judging them.  Many others who are criticising him I think are prone to scapegoated players but you don’t normally do that.  So I’m surprised by that. 

But it seems like you have taken exception to it so I apologise and I’ll stop. 

As for those that think he is such a bad player then surely this has to be classed as poor management by Smit? He has an option to play Hutton there and Elmo on the right like the last bloke used to.

So either Smith doesn’t know what he is doing ormaybe Taylor is not as bad as people make out. Which one is it?

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So either Smith doesn’t know what he is doing ormaybe Taylor is not as bad as people make out. Which one is it?

Theres a third option here, Smith might think its important for his game plan to have a left footed left back, and that he finds Taylor good enough keep him in the side rather than changing that mentality. I find Taylor to be our weakest link usually, hes just dosent offer much going forward and is not strong enough man man defensively. But fair play to him, I thought the assist last night was great and felt he was the best player in our back 5, though that dosent say much...  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

Theres a third option here, Smith might think its important for his game plan to have a left footed left back, and that he finds Taylor good enough keep him in the side rather than changing that mentality. I find Taylor to be our weakest link usually, hes just dosent offer much going forward and is not strong enough man man defensively. But fair play to him, I thought the assist last night was great and felt he was the best player in our back 5, though that dosent say much...  

We do need better in that position but I think he gets a lot of unfair stick.   He was ok last night. 

• Like 1

He is very limited with the ball at his feet but he has bought into what Smith is building and is doing enough to be an effective player in that at times.

My biggest concern is that Smith's approach demands that players have a bit of cutting edge to their play on the ball, something Taylor lacks. Taylor looks at his best when the game is pedestrian and there is little pressure. At least what Hutton lacks in finesse he makes up for in ambition. Taylor probably won't ever have the audacity or confidence to score a goal like Hutton did against Birminham.

Taylor was afforded a lot of space in one play against Forest where he was invited to take the ball up the pitch as far as the box because Forest were more concerned with who he might pass to than the man on the ball. He did the right thing by continuing as far as they let him but you could see he was hesitant and was never going to punish them for allowing him that space.

To cut him some slack though and elaborate on what I meant when I said that he can be effective at times, he is playing a role for us, however limited. His movement and positioning takes into account his limitation to create under pressure and so he plays within his means fairly well. He'll play the safe pass or be the safe option and as long as he is just that and doesn't turn it over then we have other players who can penetrate the defense as we move the ball up the pitch as a team.

• Like 1

Taylor's positioning on the first goal is questionable. We have a 4 on 3 because Hourihane and Chester have wiped each other out. So Axel has decided to come out and meet Carvalho, who has the ball (they're both inside the circle where the Sky Player button is).

Axel actually does a great job of cutting off the immediate pass inside to Grabban (Carvalho fakes to do it, and then spreads it wide to Lolley).

Taylor can't do anything about Grabban, so his only thought should be to step towards Joe Lolley who is high on Forest's right wing, bringing our offside line up and giving Lolley less space.

605940074_ScreenShot2018-11-30at00_14_23.png.021ea4f53a55db3fb74d25c0f3cde94e.png

He just hangs there deep, leaving a huge pocket behind Axel, which Grabban is able to charge into AND leaving acres of space for Lolley.

In my opinion, he should be standing much closer to the top of the Sky Player circle in the screenshot - giving us a higher line, but also giving him enough room to deal with Lolley.

I get that (a) Chester has gone missing, which creates the 4 on 3 in the first place, and (b) Taylor might have been expecting Axel to stay deeper and pick up Grabban, with Taylor splitting Carvalho and Lolley. But once Axel has made that decision (which Taylor can see immediately), Taylor should step out to his left and cut the distance to Lolley.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Taylor's positioning on the first goal is questionable. We have a 4 on 3 because Hourihane and Chester have wiped each other out. So Axel has decided to come out and meet Carvalho, who has the ball (their both inside the circle where the Sky Player button is).

Axel actually does a great job of cutting off the immediate pass inside to Grabban (Carvalho fakes to do it, and then spreads it wide to Lolley).

Taylor can't do anything about Grabban, so his only thought should be to step towards Joe Lolley who is high on Forest's right wing, bringing our offside line up and giving Lolley less space.

605940074_ScreenShot2018-11-30at00_14_23.png.021ea4f53a55db3fb74d25c0f3cde94e.png

He just hangs there deep, leaving a huge pocket behind Axel, which Grabban is able to charge into AND leaving acres of space for Lolley.

In my opinion, he should be standing much closer to the top of the Sky Player circle in the screenshot - giving us a higher line, but also giving him enough room to deal with Lolley.

I get that (a) Chester has gone missing, which creates the 4 on 3 in the first place, and (b) Taylor might have been expecting Axel to stay deeper and pick up Grabban, with Taylor splitting Carvalho and Lolley. But once Axel has made that decision (which Taylor can see immediately), Taylor should step out to his left and cut the distance to Lolley.

Love this post. Thanks for that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Taylor's positioning on the first goal is questionable. We have a 4 on 3 because Hourihane and Chester have wiped each other out. So Axel has decided to come out and meet Carvalho, who has the ball (they're both inside the circle where the Sky Player button is).

Good post dude. 

My thoughts on it though, just by going off your screenshot, is that Taylor is taking up a more central position because of the absence of Chester (where the fack is he btw?!). If he didnt, then all the chap would have to do is play it forward to the runner next to him (the two guys that axel is inbetween) and it would have been a 1v1. So the fact that he played it wide to Lolley actually makes it a bit trickier for Forest. 

Just so happens that they put it in anyway...

so, 

1) where the fack is Chester

2) Axel shouldn’t be in a position where he is parallel to his man facing his goal

3) what are our midfielders doing giving them that much space in that part of the pitch. 

I actually think Taylor has done the right thing there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tayls said:

Good post dude. 

My thoughts on it though, just by going off your screenshot, is that Taylor is taking up a more central position because of the absence of Chester (where the fack is he btw?!). If he didnt, then all the chap would have to do is play it forward to the runner next to him (the two guys that axel is inbetween) and it would have been a 1v1. So the fact that he played it wide to Lolley actually makes it a bit trickier for Forest. 

Just so happens that they put it in anyway...

so, 

1) where the fack is Chester

2) Axel shouldn’t be in a position where he is parallel to his man facing his goal

3) what are our midfielders doing giving them that much space in that part of the pitch. 

I actually think Taylor has done the right thing there. 

Chester and Hourihane both went for the same ball and took each other out further up the field. They are now trying to get back.  

I also don’t get why Hutton also watched Grabban run through. 

Theres just so much wrong with that goal. We hadn’t switched on yet.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Chester and Hourihane both went for the same ball and took each other out further up the field. They are now trying to get back.  

I also don’t get why Hutton also watched Grabban run through. 

Theres just so much wrong with that goal. We hadn’t switched on yet.

At least we switched on after that... oh wait

• Like 1

Â