Neil Taylor

One For The Road

Taylor feels like a throw back to a time when LBs weren't expected to bomb forward, overlap and expand the play. It feels like he never gets much if any further forward than our centre backs and generally slows the play and is often caught in possession. I think he could work as part of a back 3, but as a LB he is completely ineffectual compared to Hutton and Elmo. He's handy back up but nothing more for me.

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think he is as bad as some make out at times and I maintain we are a better balanced side with him there rather than Hutton.

That said it would be one of the main positions I’d want us to look at in Jan.

Agreed.

41 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think he is as bad as some make out at times and I maintain we are a better balanced side with him there rather than Hutton.

I don't agree with that after watching yesterdays game.

How their right winger just skipped past Taylor without any effort was embarrassing, he's a liability imo. Against a decent team we would be severely punished. 

I think his main issue is that his body position to receive the ball from another players pass is not set early enough, you can see him trying to sort his feet and body weight out far too late to receive and make that quicker pass and keep the tempo going. It also impacts his defending, as by the time he’s sorted his feet out, the opposition have already made a choice (which they would obviously be instructed to in pre match analysis).

To me, that indicates a mental block; almost like he’s playing on nerves most of the time. That tackle really has impacted his confidence as a professional. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't agree with that after watching yesterdays game.

How their right winger just skipped past Taylor without any effort was embarrassing, he's a liability imo. Against a decent team we would be severely punished. 

Yes, he might be but same can be said of Hutton. But we are definitely a better balanced defence with Taylor on the left and Hutton on the right.

• Like 1

Don't know how some can think he's doing OK, gets turned inside out so easily and offers absolutely nothing going forwards

I'd say we need a left back more than any other position, priority number 1 (and has been for a couple of years)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

We're winning games with him at LB. If it ain't broke etc...

Sort of agree. We are winning games with Nyland, but Nyland is not a keeper anyone feels confident with in net. 

Taylor is okay defensively, but he kills our attacks. 

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nothing spectacular from him again but bridging a gap a LB.

I did notice one solo effort from him in the 2nd half that stood out.

Agreed.

Yes I remember that, it was not long after Hutton scored, it was almost as if he thought process was”buggar me, if hutts can score, so can I”

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Don't know how some can think he's doing OK, gets turned inside out so easily and offers absolutely nothing going forwards

I'd say we need a left back more than any other position, priority number 1 (and has been for a couple of years)

I don’t think anyone is saying he is playing well or that we don’t need a LB...

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think anyone is saying he is playing well or that we don’t need a LB...

I've found 4 quotes in the last 3-4 pages saying he is doing well and he's not as bad as people think, it wont let me multi quote for some reason, especially when i switch pages it clears my selected quotes

but people are definitely saying it

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I've found 4 quotes in the last 3-4 pages saying he is doing well and he's not as bad as people think, it wont let me multi quote for some reason, especially when i switch pages it clears my selected quotes

but people are definitely saying it

I'm not going to read back over previous pages, I'll take your word for it.

I honestly don't think I've seen anyone say we don't need or shouldn't sign a LB though.

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

But we are definitely a better balanced defence with Taylor on the left and Hutton on the right.

I disagree, but it speaks volumes that we're debating who is worse rather than who is better :D 

• Like 1

Bit weird watching us attacking down their right and Forest just giving Taylor all the space in the world and all the time on the ball knowing he won't knock the ball past anyone or do anything of note with it.  They were completely right, too.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Bit weird watching us attacking down their right and Forest just giving Taylor all the space in the world and all the time on the ball knowing he won't knock the ball past anyone or do anything of note with it.  They were completely right, too.

Didnt he get an assist?

• Like 1

Â