Neil Taylor

One For The Road

13 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Now if and when this happens. Let's get behind Taylor and show him we don't boo our own.

This. Don't mind Taylor coming - disappointed and confused why Ayew would go to Swansea - particularly as his brother left there in the summer.... 

I can see the logic.

I'm assuming Swansea wanted Ayew, we were happy to sell him, but knew we needed cover at left back so used the opportunity to get Taylor as part of the deal.

I'd have hoped we'd get more for Ayew but there you go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Really don't think this is a particularly amazing move if it goes ahead. Especially if it's £5m + Ayew!
Hard worker who has always come across a nice enough lad but isn't physically strong and it hampers him in the Prem. Though of course we're not in the Prem so maybe I'll shut up!!!!

Also I've only really seen him against the bigger teams and for Wales as I rarely watch a Swansea vs Watford type of game.
Perhaps a Swans fan will venture into the forum....though as I understand it they've moved him on as they have younger talent....tis frustrating that we can't put a youth player up for that position.....

Potentially a commercially savvy move.

We have. Amavi. 

6 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Really don't think this is a particularly amazing move if it goes ahead. Especially if it's £5m + Ayew!
Hard worker who has always come across a nice enough lad but isn't physically strong and it hampers him in the Prem. Though of course we're not in the Prem so maybe I'll shut up!!!!

Also I've only really seen him against the bigger teams and for Wales as I rarely watch a Swansea vs Watford type of game.
Perhaps a Swans fan will venture into the forum....though as I understand it they've moved him on as they have younger talent....tis frustrating that we can't put a youth player up for that position.....

well that rules me out being interested in a defender.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We have. Amavi. 

He's the starter. Taylor hasn't been brought in for that role unless Amavi is being pushed up?..which would make some sense.

It's a shame you're not disappointed that we can't promote a youth player we didn't pay £9m for. I think it's about time we gave players a chance.
Though I don't blame Bruce.....this season ;)

9 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

He's the starter. Taylor hasn't been brought in for that role unless Amavi is being pushed up?..which would make some sense.

It's a shame you're not disappointed that we can't promote a youth player we didn't pay £9m for. I think it's about time we gave players a chance.
Though I don't blame Bruce.....this season ;)

I don't think having a youth player as backup to a 22 year old clearly struggling for form is wise. 

Amavi should be on the bench right now, but the option was Aly Cissokho. 

46 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Now if and when this happens. Let's get behind Taylor and show him we don't boo our own.

I don't ever recall a time when we've booed a new signing. 

So not sure why we'd start now. 

40 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Hmmm, you could be onto something. I am guessing this is because if his Indian roots, and Dr Tony showing an interest in Indian football clubs a few months ago?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think having a youth player as backup to a 22 year old clearly struggling for form is wise. 

Amavi should be on the bench right now, but the option was Aly Cissokho. 

Maybe those glasses have fogged up! ;) I said I am disappointed we don't have a Villa youth left back to come in instead.

But perhaps you're in the new school camp of only buying players to fill positions. In which case we're clearly at an impasse! 

1 minute ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Maybe those glasses have fogged up! ;) I said I am disappointed we don't have a Villa youth left back to come in instead.

But perhaps you're in the new school camp of only buying players to fill positions. In which case we're clearly at an impasse! 

I don't think you're understanding my point here. 

Amavi is 22, back from almost a year out with a ruptured ACL. I think it is wise to have cover/competition for a young player in the form of a more experienced player. I'm all for young players coming through, but I also like a bit of experience backing them up if possible in case they struggle, as Amavi is. 

I'm not in any 'camp'. What a strange assumption to make. I feel like my point is pretty solid and reasonable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Agreed that it probably doesn't make sense in terms of the swap deal. However I believe the extra money we will getting from this deal will go towards an attacking replacement for Ayew?

So we have sold Ayew, a player who doesn't presumably want to be there, who has done nothing for us all season in return potentially for:-

Taylor:- Who can play left back, right back and in midfield as cover.

Unnamed attacker:- Probably Rhodes?

I think it can be questionable as to whether Taylor is a good Premier League defender but at this level you'd hope he'd be ok as backup and may have a good understanding with Chester if he ever needed to slot into defence. 

There has never been any indication that he does not want to be here that I have seen?

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think you're understanding my point here. 

Amavi is 22, back from almost a year out with a ruptured ACL. I think it is wise to have cover/competition for a young player in the form of a more experienced player. I'm all for young players coming through, but I also like a bit of experience backing them up if possible in case they struggle, as Amavi is. 

I'm not in any 'camp'. What a strange assumption to make. I feel like my point is pretty solid and reasonable. 

I understand you completely but I never engaged you in that regard. I was merely pointing out we were making very different points.
You talked about cover and I talked about the potential of a young player.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

50 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's a shame you're not disappointed that we can't promote a youth player we didn't pay £9m for.

You never asked whether I thought we needed more cover! 

Because of course we need more cover.....but again, tis frustrating that we can't put a youth player up for that position.

Don't understand the hate this deal is getting. Taylor is a very good player, if asked if he could replace Hutton on right instead of playing on left. Taylor played very well during the Euros and has a good reputation. Ayew could be a good player but it's clear it isn't working for him with us. It hasn't quite gelled. Plus we get 5mill too. What's wrong with this deal exactly?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I understand you completely but I never engaged you in that regard. I was merely pointing out we were making very different points.
You talked about cover and I talked about the potential of a young player.

You never asked whether I thought we needed more cover! 

Because of course we need more cover.....but again, tis frustrating that we can't put a youth player up for that position.

I have absolutely no idea what you're taking issue with then, you've lost me bud. 

We have a young player in the position already. In this case (not every case) I think we should continue to blood Amavi and in the meanwhile supplement him with a more experienced player. From that you have extrapolated all sorts of stuff and I have no clue where you've got the idea from that I am "in the new school camp of only buying players to fill positions."

Â