Neil Taylor

One For The Road

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Yet you will let 'stats' be your guide...behave!

I was joking Nigel should have added an emoji or something ... I'd say stats give a pretty good understanding of how anyone is playing. Things like goals scored for strikers, assists for creative mids and so on, so why not tackles, blocks, clearances etc for defenders. If Taylor's not doing any of those enough, especially in an underperforming team, then he's surely not doing his job. 

15 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

I was joking Nigel should have added an emoji or something ... I'd say stats give a pretty good understanding of how anyone is playing. Things like goals scored for strikers, assists for creative mids and so on, so why not tackles, blocks, clearances etc for defenders. If Taylor's not doing any of those enough, especially in an underperforming team, then he's surely not doing his job. 

Stats only goes so far but if you combine them with what we see when watching him play it kinda boils down to him keeping a safe distance so to not get beaten, and then just hopes for the best that the cross doesn't reach anyone in the box.

As for when we have the ball he is pretty much N/A as in no stats available.

• Like 2

Just now, The Other Mat said:

Stats in this situation are fine as long as you take into account context, otherwise they can be used to back any case.

You have to ask yourself why his stats are so high.

31 minutes ago, meregreen said:

A short while ago, can’t remember the game. Taylor registered zero tackles in 90 minutes. That’s quite a “stat” for a full back. 🤔

Perhaps the opponents didn't play to his strengths? 

42 minutes ago, meregreen said:

A short while ago, can’t remember the game. Taylor registered zero tackles in 90 minutes. That’s quite a “stat” for a full back. 🤔

The only time you will ever see him "tackle" is if it's a ball played into space and it's a 70-30 in his favour and he can slide.

Only time you will ever see it.

Does anyone else feel an instant wave of black depression when Neil Taylor is in the team and you can see the ball working its way out to the left hand side in a promising move approaching their goal? I think it's the complete and utter certainty of the impending pass to the opposition which brings it on for me. The absolute loss of any hope there will be a positive outcome associated with him taking possession of the ball. I'd love to see the Skybet odds on him putting his foot on the ball and passing backwards when in the opposition half. They might not even take the bet.

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

The new system though is a wing back system not full back so attacking is as important. Chelsea won the title with Moses and Alonso at wing back 

True. I was talking about full backs, not wing backs.

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Does anyone else feel an instant wave of black depression when Neil Taylor is in the team and you can see the ball working its way out to the left hand side in a promising move approaching their goal? I think it's the complete and utter certainty of the impending pass to the opposition which brings it on for me. The absolute loss of any hope there will be a positive outcome associated with him taking possession of the ball. 

Yep. Every single time. Happened a number of times on Wednesday and every time it was correct. The attack completely broke down when he got to him. Grealish went mental at him the once.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Other Mat said:

Taylor has made, on average, less tackles, blocks, clearances and interceptions than Targett per minutes played. He's also only ever made 3 assists in his whole Villa career, Targetts got 2 already and scored the winner against Brighton. He's just a better all round left back than Taylor. 

Completely agree, though I do dispute the part in bold

I can remember a weak pathetic shot that was heading towards the back post (and possibly creeping in) that Albert Adomah converted. Other than that, I can't remember anything "creative"

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Completely agree, though I do dispute the part in bold

I can remember a weak pathetic shot that was heading towards the back post (and possibly creeping in) that Albert Adomah converted. Other than that, I can't remember anything "creative"

He's honestly got 3 assists 🤯

4 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Does anyone else feel an instant wave of black depression when Neil Taylor is in the team and you can see the ball working its way out to the left hand side in a promising move approaching their goal? I think it's the complete and utter certainty of the impending pass to the opposition which brings it on for me. The absolute loss of any hope there will be a positive outcome associated with him taking possession of the ball. I'd love to see the Skybet odds on him putting his foot on the ball and passing backwards when in the opposition half. They might not even take the bet.

On the flip side I get a wave of depression when Targett is left back and a diagonal ball is dropped in behind him. By the time he has turned round the opposition player is about 15 yards behind him. He is utter dogshit 

25 minutes ago, KHV said:

On the flip side I get a wave of depression when Targett is left back and a diagonal ball is dropped in behind him. By the time he has turned round the opposition player is about 15 yards behind him. He is utter dogshit 

Yet twice as good as Taylor

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yet twice as good as Taylor

Never in a month of Sundays

Targett is our worst player by a country mile, no positional sense, can’t track a runner, cant turn and is slower than a pensioner with arthritis

He is also powder puff, I’d pay Southampton to take him back and drive him there

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Never in a month of Sundays

Targett is our worst player by a country mile, no positional sense, can’t track a runner, cant turn and is slower than a pensioner with arthritis

He is also powder puff, I’d pay Southampton to take him back and drive him there

You're entitled to your opinion but you're wrong :D 

• Like 4

On 10/01/2020 at 17:44, Lerner's Driver said:

I did before, but not now that Targett is the other option. He is miles ahead of Targett. Don't think he is good enough, but I feel a lot more sade with Taylor in the team.

Taylor crosses like that lad you’ve brought in as an emergency full back for your Sunday team because first choice (who is terrible) isn’t answering his phone.

Baffled by how bad his crossing is, because the other aspects of his game aren’t nearly as bad as people say. His touch is okay, he has a good engine, his short passing is fine.

But it’s soul destroying to watch him receive the ball in the final third. The opposition defenders know he’s either going to clearing in the woods it straight at them or hot potato it to Grealish. Sometimes he mixes it up with the little knock behind the full back. That’s about it.

Targett offers so much more in that position.

Ă—
Ă—
Ă‚