Neil Taylor

One For The Road

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No he doesn't.

He doesn't want to tackle.

He doesn't want the ball.

He doesn't want to cross.

He doesn't want to do anything except the absolute easiest thing there possibly is. So if he gets it it's very rare he does anything other than turn around and pass it 30 yards backwards.

Useless isn't strong enough a word.

For the record I think Neil Taylor makes Wesley look like Pelé himself. 

I took your comment more as a stab at Neil Taylor’s character which I may have misunderstood. Personally I’ve never had a problem with his application, it’s just that he’s so woefully bad as a footballer that he makes it seem like he isn’t trying even though he is. 

I don’t think he chooses the easiest option every time to hide, I think he chooses the easiest option because he knows he can’t do anything constructive with the ball and has probably been instructed to pass it off to someone who can. 

Has 2 fundamental flaws.

• He is useless with the ball and going forward.
  • He seems terrified of being beaten and passed so steps off and allows way too much room and time for his opponent.

This means it's like playing with 10 men when we have the ball and that when defending our opponents always have a area to exploit on his flank.

19 minutes ago, Tomsub said:

I sit in the Doug Ellis Upper close to the visting supporters and have a close-up view on our LBs - I think people are being unfair on Taylor.  Yes, he's poor going forward and rarely (if ever) have I seen him put in a decent cross (or God forbid a shot!).  However, defensively and positioning wise I think he's good (better than Targett).  Frequently he covers across the left entre half and clears problems.  Last night he was left totally exposed by Hourihane and Trez - in fact, a number of times he was arguing with both players about the lack of support he was getting.  It's fine to criticise him but not when he's consistently left two or even three on one.  

Fair point. 

I'd still beat him in one man Wembley.

..and headers and volleys.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Who did we have a left back before Taylor?

Im certain Taylor was an improvement at the time... I’m certain of it...

He was... wasn’t he?

He was an improvement on Amavi at the time who couldn’t defend to save his life although he was good going forward.  

Taylor isn’t actually that bad. The problem is he is not very good. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

5 hours ago, Tomsub said:

I sit in the Doug Ellis Upper close to the visting supporters and have a close-up view on our LBs - I think people are being unfair on Taylor.  Yes, he's poor going forward and rarely (if ever) have I seen him put in a decent cross (or God forbid a shot!).  However, defensively and positioning wise I think he's good (better than Targett).  Frequently he covers across the left entre half and clears problems.  Last night he was left totally exposed by Hourihane and Trez - in fact, a number of times he was arguing with both players about the lack of support he was getting.  It's fine to criticise him but not when he's consistently left two or even three on one.  

It's a very good point - a lot of the important work players do over the 90 mins is happening away from the focus of the camera. I always thought Whelan was a victim of that as well - better tactically and positionally than Hourihane, but his contribution to the team was harder to see unless you watched him closely off the ball.

• Like 1

Just saw the Christmas vid on the OS. I really like Neil Taylor, he comes across as a really great guy.

Its just such a shame he is not good at that footbally stuff.

Â