Neil Taylor

One For The Road

Has definitely improved since the season went on but I really hope we can get a quality left back in for next season or this guy will be found wanting time after time.

Defensively not great, abysmal going forward, would make such a difference to our side to have a real quality left back who can defend, tackle, head, be comfortable on the ball, pass, cross ETC - Basically, not be Taylor ;)

I would like to see him moved on completely to be honest. I would have Hause as back up to A N other but unfortunately I have a feeling he will be still here which sends shudders down my spine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s a good lad but he’s a painfully average player. If you’re a wingback in modern football and are useless in the final third then you have no place being in the premier league.

I don’t even want him as a backup.

Edited by R.Bear

Very average but I think given that we do not have an abundance of left-backs at present he won't be moved on just yet. I'd hardly call it strength in-depth, but he does add squad depth in the position too.   

Other than a backup player who would rarely back the squad, there's no place here, he did improve last season but was still a weak link for the most part, I thought he was poor on Monday as well. Left back is among our priority positions.

I'd be amazed if he isnt bought by someone in the summer. He's just been promoted and played a pretty full role in that so his stock will be reasonably high. No doubt he is good enough for most Champo teams but he'll get ripped to pieces in the Premier League. Can you imagine him trying to stop Salah and Co? 

• 1 month later...

I know that I am about to get a loud of stick for this but it’s Saturday night, I have had a few and I am watching the Killers rock Glastonbury, so bugger it.

This guy gets unnecessary stick in my view. He gets his head down, works hard, is very professional, never moans and is diligent in his work. I thought he did really well in the final third of the last season and I also think he is a good man to have in the squad.

There. I said it. Tin hat on 😎

Disagree. Very bad player who has got worse every season we've had him. Smith having some sort of plan of attack helped him but along with Green he was routinely our worst player. Can't believe he kept his place in the team ahead of Hause.

Definitely not average PL level, he's an average to poor Championship player.

I'd have Targett, Hause, Mings, McGinn all ahead of him in the PL as a left back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I will give Taylor credit in that he has a good understanding with El Ghazi.  I still think we can improve on him though.

Great to have options.

I 're watched the playoff final and semis today (highlights), he nearly cost us a goal in two of those games from errors, sure I saw a couple more errors that nearly.led to goals towards the end of the season.

Don't mind him as backup as we can't really afford two new left backs, but targett will hopefully be a big upgrade.

Tbh would prob treat hause as the backup left back (as well as backup CB), I'm really not keen on Taylor at all.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I know that I am about to get a loud of stick for this but it’s Saturday night, I have had a few and I am watching the Killers rock Glastonbury, so bugger it.

This guy gets unnecessary stick in my view. He gets his head down, works hard, is very professional, never moans and is diligent in his work. I thought he did really well in the final third of the last season and I also think he is a good man to have in the squad.

There. I said it. Tin hat on 😎

I too have had a few beverages, but the killers is a step too far for me.

But anyway, I think he has been decent ‘enough’, I was a little, ooh wow when we signed him but that Coleman tackle messed with his head a bit I think.

8 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

We've got a replacement. We've got a standby (Hause - assuming we aren't finished buying defenders yet). And we've got a third choice (anybody in the squad who can stand up straight).

Sell him now whilst we can bring in a bit of cash - otherwise he will just become a member of the chaff taking up valuable spaces in the squad. 

No point having a back up player we hope never has to play!

• Like 3

On 30/06/2019 at 17:53, VillaChris said:

Keep him as squad player which I imagine is plan. He played plenty at Swansea and we certainly need some guys in the squad who know what premier league is about.

And we need to keep some continuity. If he goes he goes but I don’t think him moving on is a priority.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

30k+ and 2 years on his deal.

He is going nowhere 

This. We're stuck with him so might as well keep him as the second choice LB. He can play in the cup games. 

Unless the Villa management team are idiots, which im sure they arent, Targett will be no1 LB, then the backup will be Taylor or Hause, personally i would use Hause as the LB backup (assuming hes not needed at CB at the time).

Ideally on the subs bench for defenders, you would only need Hause & Elmo, as Hause can fill LB/CB, and Elmo RB, so thats all defensive positions covered in 2 players, ideal really.

Our subs bench could be something like, Steer, Hause, Elmo, New backup DM, Hourihane, Jota, Kodja (or whoever depending on signings, but you see what i mean)

Taylor for me, is nothing but a squad filler for use in desperation.

Edited by MaVilla

• 4 weeks later...
Â