Neil Taylor

One For The Road

23 minutes ago, BOF said:

We need to be clear what weight the word 'intentional' carries here.  Did he intend to break someone's leg?  No, of course he didn't.  But did he intend to 'leave one on' Coleman knowing he'd be 2nd to the ball?  Yes I believe he did, and I believe that because he went in 2 footed with both feet off the ground in that scissor style that he's done before.  Once you do that, you've lost control and you've failed in your duty of care to your opponent.  Most of the time you get away without the bad consequence, but on the occasion when you don't, you've only yourself to blame.

Oh I'm sure he does blame himself, of that I have no doubt but isn't that enough punishment for him on top of the inevitable extended ban he'll get?

I've seen the tackle now and it is pretty awful but how many times a week do you hear "that should have been a red card" churned out by pundits and the media when there's a bad challenge made and no ones injured? It's as bad as those and no more, it was just that 1 in 50 occurrence that resulted in a horrible break. I feel for Seamus but Tayls really needs to get his head straight and get on with it I'm afraid and as for the witch hunt on social media they need to go f**k themselves.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

as for the witch hunt on social media they need to go f**k themselves.

I find both extremes to be infuriating tbh.  The "oh shit happens, get over it, he didn't mean it" posts are as blinkered as the "he should be banned for as long as Coleman is injured" type posts.  I find 'Social media can go **** itself' is a pretty good starting point in most discussions, as it doesn't lend itself to productive debate, and twitter's brevity actively discourages it.

• Like 4

I see them as two separate things in one context.

1. I have the greatest sympathy with seamus and I hope he gets well soon.Its not the first time an incident like this has happened and it won't be the last, but if we could remove these tragic things from the game we would.

2. i have no idea, what was going through Neil's mind, so I am reluctant to speculate.I am pretty damn sure, the result was not what he expected.He now needs to try and put this behind him the best he can and despite the world at his throat, he is our player and we need to support him.

The mass reaction to this incident is fairly predictable.....its no good arguing the ins and outs, it's done and it's regrettable.......He and we just have to move on and ride out the criticism, with a stiff upper lip.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, BOF said:

I find both extremes to be infuriating tbh.  The "oh shit happens, get over it, he didn't mean it" posts are as blinkered as the "he should be banned for as long as Coleman is injured" type posts.  I find 'Social media can go **** itself' is a pretty good starting point in most discussions, as it doesn't lend itself to productive debate, and twitter's brevity actively discourages it.

He genuinely does have to just get on with it though BOF, whether he meant it or not, makes no difference to me; although I do feel that people who sit on the fence (not a dig at anyone here) and flick shit at those on both sides of the debate/argument (in all walks of life) need to realise they aren't helping.

I see some references to soccer as contact sport. 

I always considered it a non-contact sport as players are not supposed to come into contact. 

Edited by Liam100
Typo.

13 hours ago, astonaidan said:

I think the most disgusting thing was his reaction, waving his finger like he did nothing wrong

A lad who had his own leg break should know better than try a scumbag tackle like that

Because none of us have ever reacted to something in the heat of the moment to realise later it might not have been the correct thing to do.

It’s a passionate sport and if looked at in real time, yes it was a mistimed challenge but he didn’t know he'd broken his leg and reacted like any other footballer does with a mistimed tackle. Give him a break....no pun intended.

4 minutes ago, Liam100 said:

I always considered it a non-contact sport as players are not suppose to come into contact. 

4 minutes ago, Liam100 said:

I always considered it a non-contact sport as players are not suppose to come into contact. 

Shoulder charge, is meant to be legal?

7 minutes ago, Liam100 said:

Sorry, have you ever played football? :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOF said:

We need to be clear what weight the word 'intentional' carries here.  Did he intend to break someone's leg?  No, of course he didn't.  But did he intend to 'leave one on' Coleman knowing he'd be 2nd to the ball?  Yes I believe he did, and I believe that because he went in 2 footed with both feet off the ground in that scissor style that he's done before.  Once you do that, you've lost control and you've failed in your duty of care to your opponent.  Most of the time you get away without the bad consequence, but on the occasion when you don't, you've only yourself to blame.

I think you're biased and as a result are seeing a different tackle to me. You make it sound like some psychotic two footed lunge over the top of the ball, when in reality it was an honest attempt to win it that failed in spectacular (and horrific) fashion.

I don't think anybody is saying that it isn't Taylor's 'fault' only that in a sport where contact is likely, occasionally these things do happen and that unless you know something about Taylor's personality that I don't, unintentionally ending a man's career should be enough weight for him to bear. Instead we get this trial by social media bullshit. 

I hate the modern world.

(Last paragraph not specifically aimed at your post BOF)

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think you're biased and as a result are seeing a different tackle to me. You make it sound like some psychotic two footed lunge over the top of the ball, when in reality it was an honest attempt to win it that failed in spectacular (and horrific) fashion.

I don't think anybody is saying that it isn't Taylor's 'fault' only that in a sport where contact is likely, occasionally these things do happen and that unless you know something about Taylor's personality that I don't, unintentionally ending a man's career should be enough. 

(Last paragraph not specifically aimed at your post BOF)

Am I biased towards Coleman because I'm Irish or am I biased towards Taylor because I'm a Villa fan.  I've been accused of both funnily enough.  Or maybe I'm not biased at all.  Or double-biased?  I'm not sure which category I'm supposed to fall into!  Maybe I'm just calling a tackle as I saw it.  As totes cray cray as that sounds.

1 hour ago, Liam100 said:

I always considered it a non-contact sport as players are not supposed to come into contact. 

Football is 100% a contact sport.

I hate the modern game because any and all contact is discouraged. I play with a bunch of lads and if you touch them, they get all arsey. I'm talking, a hand in the back to let them know you're there and they get shitty.

I'm with DDID, I hate the modern world.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think perhaps your view of the tackle is skewed in one direction because it was committed on a player playing for a team you support at the time. 

I think you have inferred some exaggeration in what I wrote.  I didn't imply psychotic.  I didn't imply over the top of the ball.  I said he went in 2 footed with both feet off the ground.  Which he did.  If you read my post without agenda on either of our sides, you'll hopefully see a post attempting to be balanced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stockport_Villain said:

Because none of us have ever reacted to something in the heat of the moment to realise later it might not have been the correct thing to do.

It’s a passionate sport and if looked at in real time, yes it was a mistimed challenge but he didn’t know he'd broken his leg and reacted like any other footballer does with a mistimed tackle. Give him a break....no pun intended.

I never said he intended to break his leg, but he knew what he was doing. Why should we cut him some slack because he did something in the heat of the moment, thats a crazy attitude to have

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He leapt at the ball, recklessly? Yes With the aim of getting the man? No. 

It's a split decision in a passionate game, 'I can get to this one', 'Mine', an aggressive leap for a ball that was off the ground. He's caught the man and the motion of both men has meant the collision has been of the worst kind. A genuine mistimed tackle with an error of judgment that meant there was a risk involved. It's not one of those where you look at it and he's gone in to 'do' the player - he's gone for a ball he can't get. On another day, it's a yellow and both players walk away from it - sadly, this wasn't that day and Seamus Coleman has a really bad injury; one that anyone would wish him a speedy and complete recovery from - but this was a tackle gone wrong, not an assault.

He cleary meant to take man and ball, to say other wise is laughable. The defence on another day both walk away is actually laughable. The fact is he meant to take Coleman, its as clear as day, people need to stop being so blind and defending this. Like I said if it was the other way around everyone would be going crazy

14 hours ago, DK82 said:

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I can't come to the forum right now, I'm busy realising that a tackle was mistimed. If you'd like to leave a message after the beep, I'll get back to you.

beeeeeep.

So yeah you pretty much have just confirmed you are the one that needs to grow up, clearly you know you are wrong and thus this is the reply you could muster. Oh  to be a cool secondary school kid again, or at least I hope thats  what you are other wise, this is just awkward

I'm not the slightest bit surprised this is still doing the rounds, such is the sensitivity of the modern world but I've just watched a close up slow-mo video of the tackle.

It's not your classic broken leg scenario, Coleman's leg wasn't planted, it was actually airborne, Taylor has gone in hard (too hard) but it's accidental that his airborne leg ended up getting trapped between Taylor's two (also airborne) legs, it was that trapping that broke the bone(s).

I don't for one second believe he intended to cause anywhere near that level of damage - incidentally, the video I watched on YouTube (others are available) carried the headline question; 'Should Taylor be banned from football' - seriously, wtf?!?!

• Like 1

Okay hadn't read ANY of the thread (unusually for me) haven't read 'Twitter' or 'The Web' (never do) - haven't seen anything about it except I heard them talking about it on Sunday Supplement which I just watched.  Hadn't watched the Match.

So I have just watched the tackle on You Tube.

THEN read some of this thread................

I have no idea what the fuss is about !!  I see tackles like that every week !!  It's always worth a Red Card, sometimes gets one sometimes not.  It always risks causing injury, sometimes does sometimes doesn't.  Its always a pretty crap way of making a challenge.

But its certainly not in the least unusual or sinister.

Had the guys leg not got broken nobody would be mentioning it.  Sorry for the guy but my knee  - and many others - got smashed up by a perfectly fair challenge, Thats just the way it goes.

I dont know what Twitter etc are saying  - I see someone mentioned a witchhunt - bizarre, as I say its a commonplace enough challenge.

As an aside it is also far far less nasty than all sorts of intentional stuff we see like elbows and so on.

• Like 1

Let me summarise the last 100 pages for anyone new to this thread:

"It was a horror tackle"

"Maybe it was intentional"

"I don't think it was intentional"

"It was reckless"

"It was a horror tackle"

There now you're all caught up