Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

I'm surprised he hasn't been knighted yet, there seems to be a fair few sportsmen who have won more but do less that have been, in terms of being an ambassador, role model, doer of good, whatever you want to call it I don't think there's anyone who does more than him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can't think of another player on the same mound? Unbelievable crosser of the ball in play or dead ball. Even on his left he was as good as anyone else on the better foot.

scores goals, works hard and as you say a top genuine bloke.

With Becks, Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard at our disposal, how on earth did England not get further than the quarters in a major comp?!

1 minute ago, Xela said:

With Becks, Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard at our disposal, how on earth did England not get further than the quarters in a major comp?!

It's mental isn't it. Back 4 of Rio, Terry, Neville and Cole. Midfield of Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard. Rooney and Owen up front.

and we were bang average.

harder to fathom than one of Tony's equations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

It's mental isn't it. Back 4 of Rio, Terry, Neville and Cole. Midfield of Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard. Rooney and Owen up front.

and we were bang average.

harder to fathom than one of Tony's equations.

Centre backs - Rio, Terry, Woodgate, Campbell (might have been back end of career) and King!

Cole and Bridge at left back. Neville x 2 at right back

Add Joe Cole into the midfield equation. 

You are right. It was the golden generation. Sven should have done better

I would say Gerrard was mainly at fault for that, he wasnt a team player and always wanted the glory. no surprise nearly all the rest have a collection of league trophies while Roy of the Rovers has none

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm surprised he hasn't been knighted yet, there seems to be a fair few sportsmen who have won more but do less that have been, in terms of being an ambassador, role model, doer of good, whatever you want to call it I don't think there's anyone who does more than him

I can only think that he's tipped the royals off that he doesn't want it just yet. I imagine he's probably on first name terms withWilliam and/or Harry.

• Like 1

I think with the modern day formations plus the roles that some of the midfielders especially went on to play in the later years of their career we would have won something

the lampard and becks deeper central midfield roles + scholes in a midfield 3...

zatman isn't wrong with Gerrard either

And as much as I agree Beckham is one of the best players we've had for at least a couple of decades, I still haven't entirely forgiven him for bottling the tackle that lead to Brazil's equaliser.

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Because there was an obsession with 'box to box' midfielders at the time so Gerrard was pushed into the team even though he completely unbalanced it because he charged about a lot. If Spain and Xavi had their success when Scholes was 25 rather than 35 maybe we would have used him properly and done something instead of trying Lampard and Gerrard together in the middle 50 times. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Villaninireland said:

I think Zach Clough is a cracking little player.

I think he'd be worth a punt for Villa. Although with how busy we've been it might be overkill!

Â