Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Stumbled across highlights of a Barca-Valencia match the other day in 2001.

Rivaldo is easily forgotten but he was a great player in his own right, world cup winner, Balon D'Or and this hat-trick is just insane considering Barca needed to win to go ahead of Valencia for the champions league that season.

can remember that game, he was a great player, think he played for a barca team in a period where they werent the great cruyff team and they werent the great laporta era team, ronaldo had left but they still had rivaldo, kluivert, figo etc for some reason my favourite players at the time were luis enrique and youri djorkaeff (id seen him score a brilliant goal for inter) barca also had my favourite kit of all time in 00/01, they were on sky every week even back then, didnt get on with van gaal iirc and the team spent a lot of money on shit and constantly underachieved (and by that i mean won the league whilst madrid won the CL) then you throw in the dive vs turkey and his reputation here was done

unfortunately he didnt play in the pre season friendly at moleniux in 98 (enrique, xavi and figo did)

i think sir bobby signed him (when he was director of football) so him and ronaldo, not bad going

keeping that going, players signed by bobby robson - 

PSV - gheorghe popescu, john bosman, hoekstra, erwin koeman 

porto - emerson, joao pinto

Barcelona - ronaldo, luis enrique, pizzi, couto, blanc, stoichkov, sonny anderson, rivaldo, reiziger, vitor baia

PSV again - van nistelrooy, abel xavier, gudjohnsen, rommedahl, bouma

newcastle - yeah not so much...

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think Zidane could do more and had a better all round complete game but no one will ever top Ronaldinho for me, the bloke was pure joy

Whilst I agree with others who say there were better than Ronaldinho, Ronaldinho is the one who made it look the easiest. He just didn't have a care in the world and ghosted past people without trying.

• Like 2

newcastle - yeah not so much...

I actually really liked the team Sir Bobby had at Newcastle, last decent one to have and it was very entertaining to watch, front two of Shearer and Bellamy which worked brilliantly and then had Solano and Laurent Robert in midfield.

Of course their defence was rubbish which stopped them winning the league. Signed Woodgate and he typically played about 10 games for them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Stumbled across highlights of a Barca-Valencia match the other day in 2001.

Rivaldo is easily forgotten but he was a great player in his own right, world cup winner, Balon D'Or and this hat-trick is just insane considering Barca needed to win to go ahead of Valencia for the champions league that season.

Rivalso was brilliant, arguably the best of the attacking 3 in 2002 with Ronaldo getting all the credit for the goals. I think he is still playing or just retired in last few months

that dive vs Turkey though has really gone against his reputation

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . because it was the behaviour of an utter, utter scumbag. 

true but is it as bad as nutting somebody in a World Cup final ;)

Edited by Zatman

17 hours ago, PaulC said:

I doubt if Ronaldinho would be in the top 5 of Brazillians

Pele is far ahead of him and then theres players like Garincha, Zico, Ronaldo I'd have ahead of him too.

Platini or Zidane is a close one in my view? France were cheated out of a world cup final in 82 by the ref. 

Pele is the GOAT for me though

Maradona easily the best of all time for me. In terms of Brazilians Ronaldinho is behind Ronaldo, Romario, Zico, Garrincha, Rivaldo, Pele for starters IMO. Then you could argue Socrates, Rivelinho, Falcao, Vava are at least in his bracket.  

52 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Maradona easily the best of all time for me. In terms of Brazilians Ronaldinho is behind Ronaldo, Romario, Zico, Garrincha, Rivaldo, Pele for starters IMO. Then you could argue Socrates, Rivelinho, Falcao, Vava are at least in his bracket.  

The 70 side was without doubt the best Brazilian team ever imo. Tostao and Jairzinho,  Rivelino three more exceptional players

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 10:38, VillaChris said:

LVG just signed half the Dutch team at Barca didn't he, had Hesp, De Boer twins, Zenden all there with Kluivert.

Was amazed they actually re-appointed him in 2002-03 which was a total disaster.

Hesp never played for Holland. To this day he ranks up there among the worst keepers I've seen, he was absolutely pitiful. He was pushing 30 and signed from a mid table Dutch team, very bizarre. Luckily he had an excellent team in front of him.

I watched an interesting documentary on Rivaldo on the plane on the way back from holiday recently. Apparently they thought he was going to be finished by his mid to late 20s because of something he had wrong with his legs.

On 6/25/2017 at 18:01, Mantis said:

I watched an interesting documentary on Rivaldo on the plane on the way back from holiday recently. Apparently they thought he was going to be finished by his mid to late 20s because of something he had wrong with his legs.

Even by Brazilian standards he was born into extreme poverty. As far his legs, he certainly had a strange gait and was quite lanky,which probably did him no favours in the long run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Even by Brazilian standards he was born into extreme poverty. As far his legs, he certainly had a strange gait and was quite lanky,which probably did him no favours in the long run.

Garrincha was another one born into poverty and had deformed legs

Â