Cork, Ireland

Rodders

Who does that?! :D absolute madness. 

Been quieter since, enjoying a wander. Saving the wealth of other stuff and tipsfor  when we undoubtedly come back. The stereotype of friendly locals has been so true, from the hostel owner through to the 'over-the-bridger' nutty lady taxi driver from Cobh. Haven't had much luck with decent food that isn't extortionate in the city, but found a top local bar The Corner House where I enjoyed Connemara peated whiskey which holds top billing with Rebel Red with preferred drinks out here atm, with the caveat I think I was still recovering when trying the Murphys. 

Ireland :thumb: *

*except drivers.

38 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Who does that?! :D absolute madness. 

Been quieter since, enjoying a wander. Saving the wealth of other stuff and tipsfor  when we undoubtedly come back. The stereotype of friendly locals has been so true, from the hostel owner through to the 'over-the-bridger' nutty lady taxi driver from Cobh. Haven't had much luck with decent food that isn't extortionate in the city, but found a top local bar The Corner House where I enjoyed Connemara peated whiskey which holds top billing with Rebel Red with preferred drinks out here atm, with the caveat I think I was still recovering when trying the Murphys. 

Ireland :thumb: *

*except drivers.

How have you found the accent?  I think the Cork accent is the single most annoying accent in Ireland and it genuinely puts me off going near the place.

As for drivers.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Irish drivers are terrible.  Obviously not all of them, but as a nation we really are generally poor.  When I drive over in England it's so refreshing to see people using the correct lanes approaching and exiting roundabouts for example, whereas over here it's a case of it'll all sort itself out once we're on the thing.  That's one microcosm example of attitudes towards rules in general.  Not just road rules.  I genuinely think our casual laissez-faire attitude to life in general filters down into things like our driving.  "It'll be grand" is our motto :thumb:

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The accent is a problem. I'm acclimatised but when i took the other half for the first time she really struggled to understand anything.

Obviously for me it's not the understanding of it.  That bit is easy.  It's the fact that with the thicker accents they constantly sound like they're signing a **** song all the time with the way the intonation is up and down like a whore's drawers.

Kerry, their next door neighbour, has the same basic accent but without the singing element, and is a much nicer accent.  Although a properly thick Kerry accent can be hard work.

Geographically you get a sliding scale.  The further West you go in Cork, and then across and into Kerry, you gradually lose the singy bit, and end up with just the Kerry accent.

Warning : Properly thick Kerry accent below :lol: (by no means a typical one)

I don't get the irritation. I love the accent. But then, again, I'm totally used to it and for a long time it was the only Irish accent I really knew so I'm probably biased.

• Like 1

@BOF I confess I didn't notice it too much. There was a lilt but I don't have extensive experience of other accents to compare to. There were some thick pulls on words but mortifyingly I accidentally found myself immitating it on a few words like 'cars', cards and the like. I am horrendously suggestible when it comes to accents :/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 14:02, BOF said:

How have you found the accent?  I think the Cork accent is the single most annoying accent in Ireland and it genuinely puts me off going near the place.

As a man with proud Cork heritage and lots of family over there (both parents from "de north side, biy !"), I take exception to the accent being described as annoying, especially from a Dub ! The dub accent (for me) is a whiny, droney flat accent (or should I say "bleedin' droney" :D). At least the Cork accent is quite bouncy/"singy", especially on the women.

Each to their "bleedin" own I guess - jaaayzus !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

As a man with proud Cork heritage and lots of family over there (both parents from "de north side, biy !"), I take exception to the accent being described as annoying, especially from a Dub ! The dub accent (for me) is a whiny, droney flat accent (or should I say "bleedin' droney" :D). At least the Cork accent is quite bouncy/"singy", especially on the women.

Each to their "bleedin" own I guess - jaaayzus !!

:D Dublin has at least 6 distinct accents! The one you're describing sounds like the inner city one.

49 minutes ago, BOF said:

:D Dublin has at least 6 distinct accents! The one you're describing sounds like the inner city one.

On reflection yeah, I see what you mean.The "dublin 4" accent as opposed to Tallaght; then there's the likes of Niall Quinn, Rachael Wyse, (she of sky sports), then there's the earthy accent Brian Kerr has and so on...

9 hours ago, mottaloo said:

On reflection yeah, I see what you mean.The "dublin 4" accent as opposed to Tallaght; then there's the likes of Niall Quinn, Rachael Wyse, (she of sky sports), then there's the earthy accent Brian Kerr has and so on...

"Earthy". Never heard his accent described as that before :D Anyway I'm only really slagging the strongest of the Cork accents :) :thumb: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I am thinking of going to Cork after seeing hotel prices for Dublin.

I havent checked recently the prices in Cork last time I went for a visit was a bit expensive as well

well worth a visit to both if you can ;) 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I havent checked recently the prices in Cork last time I went for a visit was a bit expensive as well

well worth a visit to both if you can ;) 

As much as I love Cork, if you're sticking to the City I'd say Dublin is by far the better destination.
It's expensive, but most European capitals are.

If you're up fro driving round the countryside and visiting small villages etc then Cork is the better option, imo.

Â