Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Gave his best when called upon to do so and that toe poke against Wolves was a delight.

It made sense for him to move on in search of games, that would have been rare to come by with us, following our promotion. Chose not to stick around and gather the wages, that he would have been entitled to, as others have done without playing matches to earn that money. 

There are only winners today. Our club won't be paying the salary of a player who is not expected to be involved in the first team and will not be paying a proportion of his wages, whilst he is on loan somewhere else. Birkir is in a strong position as a free agent, to join a club of his own choosing. Thanks and good luck for the future Birkir, with your new club and with your country. 

• Like 3

Released suggests we've paid his outstanding wages or a damn good proportion of them.   I am gob smacked we couldn't even find someone just to take him off us for a free. 

Nice bloke, shite footballer. He wasn't good enough for us in the Championship, there was no way he was stepping up at this level. I expressed surprise that he was even involved in our friendlies, as he clearly wasn't going to be used, I guess we were just trying to keep him in the shop window.

No ill feelings towards him, but he won't be missed.

I’ll just pause until I’m sure he hasn’t been snapped up by another PL team and done a great job for them a couple of months from now... otherwise wish him all the best but think this is the right move for all involved.

Gotta respect the guy if he just wants to play football. He’s a decent but limited footballer, and certainly not Premier League level.

Mutual termination to me doesn’t sound like we’ve paid off his contract in full,  but rather we’ve met somewhere in the middle where both parties are happy to shake hands and move on.

I wish him well and this was probably for the best for both him and us.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hornso said:

He seemed miserable with his lack of match involvement. Interested to see where he ends up.

Just seemed miserable fullstop. At the final lap of the season with the all the families and kids he seemed to be on his own, would tie up with the fact he was allegedly still living in a hotel.

Don't think he ever bought into it and neither did we buy into him. He has made his money, he played a (very) small part in promotion. Everyone wins. Will not be remembered by many in a few years 

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Released suggests we've paid his outstanding wages or a damn good proportion of them.   I am gob smacked we couldn't even find someone just to take him off us for a free. 

He wasn't released. His contract was mutually terminated.

Which I imagine means we just cancelled his contract with his agreement, or gave him a payoff that was less than the remainder of his contract.

He misses out on guaranteed wages by agreeing that but it makes it far easier for him to move somewhere else and actually have a chance of playing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I’ll just pause until I’m sure he hasn’t been snapped up by another PL team and done a great job for them a couple of months from now.

I'd be gobsmacked if he did.

Seems a bit odd.......surprised we didn't hang on for a fee of some kind.

I can only assume that we paid very little out on the remainder of his contract otherwise I'm struggling to see the benefit.

Further indication of the ruthlessness though of the new owners, they do not Fk about.

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I’ll just pause until I’m sure he hasn’t been snapped up by another PL team and done a great job for them a couple of months from now... otherwise wish him all the best but think this is the right move for all involved.

No fear of that happening.

Fair play to the lad terminating his contract so he can go and play somewhere. 10/10 for attitude but he just wasnt good enough. I hope he has a nice end to his career at a lower level. 

Birkir wasn't a bad player, in an overall sense,just not a right fit for us, now.

He had qualities but ball control wasn't one of them.....You need ball control to fit in to what Dean Smith wants in his team....its why I think he has held on to Lansbury, not great, but fits the philosophy.

Edited by TRO

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

@Jonsi77how u feel about this ?? :P

Ok for me, but it want chance the facts about hes experience. Villa has by most parts exciting unexperienced players and hopefully they will do well. This season is one big lottery for Villa.

3 hours ago, Jonsi77 said:

Ok for me, but it want chance the facts about hes experience. Villa has by most parts exciting unexperienced players and hopefully they will do well. This season is one big lottery for Villa.

I know your opinion is that Bjarnason has experience playing against top players and top teams in other leagues around the world, and you’re right in a way, but I really don’t think that side of him would have been all that useful in the Premier League - of which he has no experience at all.

He’s just not all that great a player, it doesn’t appear he particularly bonded with the rest of the squad and we don’t need him for what little useful experience he may bring anyway.

If I’m a young player in our squad and I want advice on playing at the top level, against the best players and playing in the Premier League, I’m going straight to the assistant manager’s office.

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

I know your opinion is that Bjarnason has experience playing against top players and top teams in other leagues around the world, and you’re right in a way, but I really don’t think that side of him would have been all that useful in the Premier League - of which he has no experience at all.

He’s just not all that great a player, it doesn’t appear he particularly bonded with the rest of the squad and we don’t need him for what little useful experience he may bring anyway.

If I’m a young player in our squad and I want advice on playing at the top level, against the best players and playing in the Premier League, I’m going straight to the assistant manager’s office.

World cup and euro finals and goals on that level plus 78 caps - not usefull exp. alright :)

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

Closer to PL exp. than most of other in Villa squad

Â