Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

2 hours ago, KSV said:

Wasn't his best game.. but hourihane and Bikir are always good for a goal. Decent finish too in a crowded box. Made a great run in. Credit where credit is due. If that was Whelan we wouldn't have won.

That's rubbish. We may not have conceded with Whelan playing. 9 starts with Whelan 0 losses and counting

• Like 4

11 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I’d play diamond formation, which would include, Jack, John, Connor and Thor.

We certainly lack wingers, for now I’d play these 4 with Kodjia and one of (Green, Adomah, RHM) in a forward two.

I'd agree here but for kodjia, he wouldn't allow that midfield to prosper. Davis starts for me.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's rubbish. We may not have conceded with Whelan playing. 9 starts with Whelan 0 losses and counting

But how many of those games had Jedinak at CB? He is a massive liability there that I think Whelan would struggle to cope with (IMO).

Whelan is better defensively than Bjarnason but useless going forward. It was nice to see that he played Bjarnason in this role rather than Whelan - we don’t need a DM every game (if defence good). 

Always seems to score last minute too!  Relieved is an understatement! We would not have won this game last season...

• Like 1

Thought he was terrible and having him and Jedi within 10 yards of each other on the pitch was a big mistake. Struggled to control the football at times. I’m willing to put it down to lack of match sharpness as he didn’t have a full pre season and his cameo at Hull showed he was well off he pace. Pretty amazed he started to be honest. Seen him do much much better. 

However credit where it’s due it was a great run for the goal. It was a funny game and he pretty much epitomised it.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

My point is.. he wouldnt have made that run in the 94th minute to score a winner. His record is irrelevant.

5 hours ago, cyrusr said:

But how many of those games had Jedinak at CB? He is a massive liability there that I think Whelan would struggle to cope with (IMO).

Whelan is better defensively than Bjarnason but useless going forward. It was nice to see that he played Bjarnason in this role rather than Whelan - we don’t need a DM every game (if defence good). 

Always seems to score last minute too!  Relieved is an understatement! We would not have won this game last season...

I'd have to check but pretty sure when Terry out we beat Cardiff Leeds Ipswich back to back with Jedi CB Whelan DCM. Jedi CB definitely

• Thanks 1

I'm so pleased for Birkir. Good man, well done sir! I thought he played really well last season, what brilliant goals he scored. And yesterday, as a few people have mentioned already, he made a good run towards the goal that enabled him to score... Then he made the perfect contact whilst sliding in to direct the ball into the corner. Not so easy! And he got himself in just the right place at the right time. 

5 hours ago, KSV said:

My point is.. he wouldnt have made that run in the 94th minute to score a winner. His record is irrelevant.

Maybe not in the 94th minute, but in the first game of the season and quite often last season, it was Whelan pushing forward ahead of Hourihane. 

Edited by mikeyp102

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Would we have conceded 2 goals or scored more in normal time etc

well Jedinak had an absolute mare and cost both goals. Dont think Bjarnason or Whelan would have stopped him making a hospital pass for Powell to score

With our injury crisis in the ST dept, can we not play a midfield of Grealish, Mcginn and hourihane with Thor as a ST, he's scored more with less chances then kodj so far, full of energy and work rate and won't go missing in midfield 

• 2 weeks later...
Â