Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

53 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have been thinking about Birkir more than I probably should today. I think he has played well in the friendlies, under very little pressure but still, I think he has looked no better or worse than Hourihane. 

Looking back on the season before last, he earned his spot in the DM role only to be (wrongly IMO) cock blocked by Steve Bruce as the season wore on. We needed his energy and we missed it when it wasn't there. Things haven't worked out for him under Smith, for various reasons, but I don't think he's suddenly a bad player. I never thought he was Premier League quality to begin with mind you, but then I have been wrong about players before. Obviously. 

Kinda happy to leave this one up to the manager. I'm sure Birkir will want to play, so if he is told he won't get that opportunity then a move will happen quick I imagine. Worth noting his move was blocked in the winter, after which he went on to play no part in the season, which I am sure he was miffed about but it shows the manager has some faith in him. 

Time will tell basically. I'm not up for writing anyone off yet. 

Did he really earn it? That's now how I remember. I thought he got a few games then was shambles in Burton game. Don't remember him exactly playing DM role under Bruce more than a handful of games 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did he really earn it? That's now how I remember. I thought he got a few games then was shambles in Burton game. Don't remember him exactly playing DM role under Bruce more than a handful of games 

He was in this spot for 2-3 mounths spot and did very well. Last fall he started in this spot for Dean Smith and did ok, then he got injured at the end of oktober and went to surgery and came back in the end of desember begining of january and wasnt able to play well and lost hes place. From end of january til the end of last season he was on the bench(outside of squad for some of theme)

23 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

He was in this spot for 2-3 mounths spot and did very well. Last fall he started in this spot for Dean Smith and did ok, then he got injured at the end of oktober and went to surgery and came back in the end of desember begining of january and wasnt able to play well and lost hes place. From end of january til the end of last season he was on the bench(outside of squad for some of theme)

Yes terrible vs QPR Wigan Hull decent minutes back from injury and dropped and not long after we go on historic 10 game winning streak. Says it all for me. 

Bench warming impact sub at best

Edited by Kiwivillan

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes terrible vs QPR Wigan Hull decent minutes back from injury and dropped and not long after we go on historic 10 game winning streak. Says it all for me. 

Bench warming impact sub at best

sub....just sub :)

and probably not even a sub tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

But has the experience which is in very high demand for this squad.

you are like a Thor animal that lives in a cave, then when BB's name is mentioned you peek your head out......defend his honour.....then go back to your cave, patiently sitting in the entrance awaiting the next time you need to pop your head out :P

have you ever considered that statistically when 99% of people say someone isnt very good, and 1% say they are good, its really very highly likely that the 1% is wrong? :)

genuine question here, do you think we are all mad for not seeing how critical Thor is to our upcoming season and shocked why we dont see him as a first 11 starter??

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

you are like a Thor animal that lives in a cave, then when BB's name is mentioned you peek your head out......defend his honour.....then go back to your cave, patiently sitting in the entrance awaiting the next time you need to pop your head out :P

have you ever considered that statistically when 99% of people say someone isnt very good, and 1% say they are good, its really very highly likely that the 1% is wrong? :)

genuine question here, do you think we are all mad for not seeing how critical Thor is to our upcoming season and shocked why we dont see him as a first 11 starter??

No i dont hink you guys are mad.I just think he could be good squad player due to hes experience. Never said nothing else.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Experience counts for nothing if you don't got ability.

I think he has the ability and he has been able to show it. He has had very good games for Villa and also bad (by most parts soon after injury) and i think its unfair to judge him based on that spell.

Though for me good performance in Championship says little about what you are able to do in Premiership due to totally different football. For me it is more notable if you have showed good performance vs Premier league midfielders in national team games. 

2 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

I think he has the ability and he has been able to show it. He has had very good games for Villa and also bad (by most parts soon after injury) and i think its unfair to judge him based on that spell.

Though for me good performance in Championship says little about what you are able to do in Premiership due to totally different football. For me it is more notable if you have showed good performance vs Premier league midfielders in national team games. 

I totally disagree.

Birkir got a totally different role for his national team. I'm sure he could do a job for someone like Sean Dyche but he doesn't fit our style of play. His passing ability is just dog shit

Edited by villalad21

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I totally disagree.

Birkir got a totally different role for his national team. I'm sure he could do a job for someone like Sean Dyche but he doesn't fit our style of play. His passing ability is just dog shit

dog shit!! come on you are almost 30 years old, show some class.

32 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

dog shit!! come on you are almost 30 years old, show some class.

As he is a professional international footballer, his passing is not terrible. However it is not good enough to play in a side where very high quality passing is required. He isn't fast or effective enough for the wing play we want to have either. He is a good player, just not right for Villa. 

Edited by Made In Aston

It's good to see we've set our stall out early and appointed the player who will have the biggest gap between minutes played and minutes discussed.

Recent winners of this accolade include Gil, NRC, Ireland, N'Zog, Sidwell and that African feller with the jumpers.

He is nowhere near creative enough to play out wide, so his only possible position in the team is midfield. Not the Jack role - not creative. Not the DM role - not his specialty and he'll get torn a new one in the Premier League. So that's the mobile, McGinn role. He will get the odd goal, and run around a lot, but I don't see him as having anything like the tenacity to replace SJM. And our change in the middle would be Hourihane, and then Jota or Lansbury. I see no point in keeping someone of his experience and (at a guess) wages to be our 7th or 8th choice midfielder. 

• Thanks 1

Â