Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Even to suggest Thor is Premier League quality is nonsense.

I can guarantee you that no Premier League clubs would show interest if we choose to sell him.

To be daur though Westwood, Lowton and Bacuna all went to prem teams. 

• Like 1

There is just absolutely no chance he is going to have any kind of impact in the PL. He just isn't good enough.

Even someone like Lansbury, he has a bit of class about him which makes me think maybe, it's a long long long long long long long shot with his age, injury record, and the fact he hasn't excelled in recent seasons but maybe, just maaaaaybe.

Bjarnason, it's just a flat no. He has very little quality.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

There is just absolutely no chance he is going to have any kind of impact in the PL. He just isn't good enough.

Even someone like Lansbury, he has a bit of class about him which makes me think maybe, it's a long long long long long long long shot with his age, injury record, and the fact he hasn't excelled in recent seasons but maybe, just maaaaaybe.

Bjarnason, it's just a flat no. He has very little quality.

Though enough quality to play against premier league midfilders (and similar quality)and do it well and in addition score vs these teams. Thats the only facts i have. And i want to talk about facts not speculations. And i see that you have decide to ignore facts and talk in speculations with no arguments.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Even to suggest Thor is Premier League quality is nonsense.

I can guarantee you that no Premier League clubs would show interest if we choose to sell him.

At least he has play and been able to play well and score vs premiership players (and similar quality) which makes me think he could do well in PL. Purely based on what he has done vs these players before. But i see that you have decide that this is not facts.

19 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

At least he has play and been able to play well and score vs premiership players (and similar quality) which makes me think he could do well in PL. Purely based on what he has done vs these players before. But i see that you have decide that this is not facts.

International games is an incredible low sample size.

Iceland is known to be a very defensive, organized team which is hard to beat. A team not known for great individuals but a hard working unit. The fact that he did well in the WC does not make him Premier League quality. He didn't manage to get in a Championship team he might be a useful 5th choice option if many of our midfielders get injured but i don't see him playing much and ultimately it's very likely Bjarnason will move on.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

I'm surprised he's still here. I was convinced he would be gone by now given that he hardly played for Smith in the latter part of last season.

Even though I'm Icelandic and biased I think it's fair to say that he has never shown at Villa that he is Premier League quality.

He plays well in a specific system, like he does for Iceland and in that situation he can be very solid. But outside of that I'm not sure.

My feeling is that he wants desperately to play in the Premier League, this is probably is only chane and he is hoping he can show Smith that he can be a part of the squad. Maybe things will change when we sign Douglas Luiz and he'll move on but until then we'll just have to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

International games is an incredible low sample size.

Iceland is known to be a very defensive, organized team which is hard to beat. A team not known for great individuals but a hard working unit. The fact that he did well in the WC does not make him Premier League quality. He didn't manage to get in a Championship team he might be a useful 5th choice option if many of our midfielders get injured but i don't see him playing much and ultimately it's very likely Bjarnason will move on.

He has played total 325 games and 75 national team games which is 23% of total. That is not low sample size. Alright, midfield players of Iceland are all proven premier league players, and one is proven serie a and upfront is one of the best goalscorer in Bundesliga (Finnbogason could help villa - contract expires 2020). Good players and good organisation. But most of all it is strong unit - thats for sure. Throughout hes carier he has had options of play in Premier League, the management team from that clubs have relised that he is cabable of doing it. And im sure that Dean Smith, John Terry and all the other in the management they know what they are doing and make their decision based on what is best for the squad, for me they have been doing extremly well in their decision and i know it will continue. 

3 hours ago, Jonsi77 said:

He has played total 325 games and 75 national team games which is 23% of total. That is not low sample size. Alright, midfield players of Iceland are all proven premier league players, and one is proven serie a and upfront is one of the best goalscorer in Bundesliga (Finnbogason could help villa - contract expires 2020). Good players and good organisation. But most of all it is strong unit - thats for sure. Throughout hes carier he has had options of play in Premier League, the management team from that clubs have relised that he is cabable of doing it. And im sure that Dean Smith, John Terry and all the other in the management they know what they are doing and make their decision based on what is best for the squad, for me they have been doing extremly well in their decision and i know it will continue. 

All proven? That's a big statement.

I would maybe take Sigurdsson as backup for Grealish, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

All proven? That's a big statement.

I would maybe take Sigurdsson as backup for Grealish, but that's about it.

When i say proven im talking about players that have been regular starter in their team in PL and have been able to have valuable impact. Gudmundsson and Gunnarsson have been able to that and statistic speak for itself in those cases. Gylfi Sigurdsson was on top 10 list over highest goalscorer 2018 - 2019 and along with Paul Pogba only midfielder on that list. In addition he has score most goals from freekicks among all the current players in the league. This statistic would for sure give you place in Englands squad.

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thought he was a shit championship footballer. He has no place in the PL. 

I am loving this new wave of VillaTalk experts we have seen arrive in this window.

Signings written off as shite before they have arrived, players written off from leagues - even though they have yet to even kick a ball in that league, transfer targets ridiculed because we are not big enough or we won't be spending that sort of money.

It's brilliant to witness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I am loving this new wave of VillaTalk experts we have seen arrive in this window.

Signings written off as shite before they have arrived, players written off from leagues - even though they have yet to even kick a ball in that league, transfer targets ridiculed because we are not big enough or we won't be spending that sort of money.

It's brilliant to witness.

This!

Save the abuse for people that deserve it, even then is it really warranted..... I guess every club has these type of fans but geez is it embarassing to read some of the comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He clearly wasn't up to the necessary standard in the championship. Are we to believe he'll suddenly come in to his own and not be a complete liability now we're playing against much tougher opponents?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He clearly wasn't up to the necessary standard in the championship. Are we to believe he'll suddenly come in to his own and not be a complete liability now we're playing against much tougher opponents?

Would you have been under Bruce?!

If Lansbury deserves a chance, Birkir equally does Imo.

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Would you have been under Bruce?!

If Lansbury deserves a chance, Birkir equally does Imo.

Genuinely wonder if you've watched us play the last few years if you think Bjarnason is PL quality. He isn't even remotely close. I'd be surprised if half decent championship teams would emply him in a midfield role. In fact, there's a reason why he didn't play much last season. He got roughly 10 matches of play time in the championship. He wasn't played regularly cause he wasn't good enough. So the notion he suddenly at the age of 31 is good enough for the league above it is absolutely bonkers. 

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Genuinely wonder if you've watched us play the last few years if you think Bjarnason is PL quality. He isn't even remotely close. I'd be surprised if half decent championship teams would emply him in a midfield role. In fact, there's a reason why he didn't play much last season. He got roughly 10 matches of play time in the championship. He wasn't played regularly cause he wasn't good enough. So the notion he suddenly at the age of 31 is good enough for the league above it is absolutely bonkers. 

Nope.

I hadn't a clue who we were up until May.

We seem the team to get on the gravy train about so I've came on board.

I think we have a great chance in the Premier League this season with Nyland in goal. Davis will bag another 23 goals this season like he has done for us the last two seasons. He is our £60m striker and we need to fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Sell Grealish though as he must be shite and he has never hardly played PL football so he ain't gonna cut it there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nope.

I hadn't a clue who we were up until May.

We seem the team to get on the gravy train about so I've came on board.

I think we have a great chance in the Premier League this season with Nyland in goal. Davis will bag another 23 goals this season like he has done for us the last two seasons. He is our £60m striker and we need to fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Sell Grealish though as he must be shite and he has never hardly played PL football so he ain't gonna cut it there.

Glory hunter. 

• Haha 1

Â