James Bree

Barney_avfc

Strange one this. He played well in the playoff games at the end of last season but even the manager who played him in those games didn't want to play him this season, which I find strange because he is a RB after all - surely there was a place on the pitch somewhere for another RB. He was highly rated when he arrived and was linked with PL clubs and everyone seemed delighted when we managed to snap him up however he has had very limited game time and doesn't seem to making the impression required on the new manager. 

I wonder what the future holds for him.....

Watch this video and then tell me that Hutton or Elmo are our best options at right back.

This was from 2016/17, it's pretty criminal that we haven't developed him any further since he has been at the club given the problems we have had with full backs.

Watching him here he is pretty much exactly what we need both defensively and going forward, along with developing him to be our right back for years to come. Something this club have struggled with for a long time is bringing young players through to become first team players (not just players from our academy but from transfers as well)

• Thanks 2

On 29/10/2018 at 08:13, wilko154 said:

Watch this video and then tell me that Hutton or Elmo are our best options at right back.

This was from 2016/17, it's pretty criminal that we haven't developed him any further since he has been at the club given the problems we have had with full backs.

Watching him here he is pretty much exactly what we need both defensively and going forward, along with developing him to be our right back for years to come. Something this club have struggled with for a long time is bringing young players through to become first team players (not just players from our academy but from transfers as well)

Tonev and Helenius had nice videos too. Just saying.

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Nice vid and interesting to watch.

Is he reallt that good or is this another scenario where we can wedge anyone's best bits in to a 4 minute vid and make them look good?

I don't want to overhype the kid but I think he's the best rb since Zanetti.

• Haha 1

I would like to see Bree given a run of games at right back. I don't know if he will step up to the challenge, he has the energy and physicality to do the job but does he have the technique?

We know that Hutton and Elmo aren't the answer so it's worth a try up until January.

Smith will know more about his RB options by the time we reach the transfer window.

39 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I would like to see Bree given a run of games at right back. I don't know if he will step up to the challenge, he has the energy and physicality to do the job but does he have the technique?

We know that Hutton and Elmo aren't the answer so it's worth a try up until January.

This is the crux of it for me. We haven't seen enough of Bree to determine if he's up to standard, but we have seen enough of Elmo and Hutton to know that they aren't. 

If Bree can at least match those in terms of quality, his age/energy would be a welcome boost to the team, though i worry about the quality of any fullback that can't dislodge Alan Hutton. 

The only way we will find out is if he gets a run of games, which i would like to see. 

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

This is the crux of it for me. We haven't seen enough of Bree to determine if he's up to standard, but we have seen enough of Elmo and Hutton to know that they aren't. 

If Bree can at least match those in terms of quality, his age/energy would be a welcome boost to the team, though i worry about the quality of any fullback that can't dislodge Alan Hutton. 

The only way we will find out is if he gets a run of games, which i would like to see. 

To be fair to Elmo I think he has actually been one of the better performers in terms of passing and ball retention, but yeah I would prefer Elmo at right back or give bree a chance.

Maybe move cafu to LB and then have Elmo or bree at right back until Jan.

Only reason I would say Hutton at LB is he's less bad than Taylor :P

• Like 1

On 29/10/2018 at 08:13, wilko154 said:

I want Bree to be given a chance as he's the youngest out of our 1000 right backs and has the potential to become a good player,

But if I'm honest that 4 minute video of his highlights isnt as great as I was expecting. I only see 1 brilliant tackle and 1 assist, the rest just decent play from a full back that one would expect. I bet we could make an Alan Hutton 4 min clip from last season that looks just as impressive..

Having said that if he's never given a decent run in the side we'll never know. Hutton is out of contract at the end of the season and Elmo is getting on a bit as well. Personally I think RdL is our best right back, but Bruce dropped a clanger by letting him go on loan. So out of the remaining available right backs I think Bree is the future, we should start preparing for next season so it's better all round if Bree is given the chance to settle into the team. If he fails then look for a new right back, but at least give him the chance rather than the odd appearance in cup games with a mish mash of a side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

I want Bree to be given a chance as he's the youngest out of our 1000 right backs and has the potential to become a good player,

But if I'm honest that 4 minute video of his highlights isnt as great as I was expecting. I only see 1 brilliant tackle and 1 assist, the rest just decent play from a full back that one would expect. I bet we could make an Alan Hutton 4 min clip from last season that looks just as impressive..

Having said that if he's never given a decent run in the side we'll never know. Hutton is out of contract at the end of the season and Elmo is getting on a bit as well. Personally I think RdL is our best right back, but Bruce dropped a clanger by letting him go on loan. So out of the remaining available right backs I think Bree is the future, we should start preparing for next season so it's better all round if Bree is given the chance to settle into the team. If he fails then look for a new right back, but at least give him the chance rather than the odd appearance in cup games with a mish mash of a side.

Only 10 seconds and it's technically a gif but done

aFQGxh.gif

23 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Smith will know more about his RB options by the time we reach the transfer window.

Well, Elmo and Hutton are of an age that they are not going to get ant better and thus far has delivered us nothing.....personally, I don't think we are going up, with those 2 players.

I am not convinced with James Bree, but he could get better, given games and turn in to the player we want.

This is where I leave it and let the manager decide.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

2 goals in the U23s today..  I'm hoping Smith will be giving him his chance but there's rumours our back 4 won't change b4 Jan 

Two headers from set pieces, he's good in the air for a player who isn't that big - I think that's one of the reasons Bruce saw him as a potential CB (Bruce seemed to believe that 99% of a CB's job was heading the ball) . His overall game today wasn't bad, but he didn't stand out - he was caught out of position a few times and his passing was so-so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2018 at 15:00, OutByEaster? said:

Two headers from set pieces, he's good in the air for a player who isn't that big - I think that's one of the reasons Bruce saw him as a potential CB (Bruce seemed to believe that 99% of a CB's job was heading the ball) . His overall game today wasn't bad, but he didn't stand out - he was caught out of position a few times and his passing was so-so.

Not sure about the percentage, but its pretty important in this league, where the lesser teams do resort to launching it and that can become a lottery.

Its something teams have to deal with to have any chance of promotion.

at 5' 8" which i gleaned he is....its too small to dominate for me....Colin Todd, James Beattie, and Bobby Moore wer not tall , but was exceptions years ago.

Most centre backs are 6' 1 Plus, these days.....I think 5' 8" if that's what it is, is pushing our luck.

On 01/11/2018 at 03:24, TRO said:

Well, Elmo and Hutton are of an age that they are not going to get ant better and thus far has delivered us nothing.....personally, I don't think we are going up, with those 2 players.

I am not convinced with James Bree, but he could get better, given games and turn in to the player we want.

This is where I leave it and let the manager decide.

You don't think we're going to get promoted with Elmo or Hutton?

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of either I would disagree. I think we can get promoted as is. For sure.

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

You don't think we're going to get promoted with Elmo or Hutton?

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of either I would disagree. I think we can get promoted as is. For sure.

well form can be misleading, when they go up and down.....but in the main, I think it will be made difficult with them.

There are things they do are ok, but a bit limited for me....a bit rigid defensively and easily caught out of position.....I think we could do better.

I wrote that just after Bruce left, so whether DS can change my opinion, I'm not sure, but they are not getting any younger.

so Far, DS has surprised me with what he has managed to do.

• Like 1

Â