James Bree

Barney_avfc

Trying vainly to keep this thread from being about Bruce...

I thought Bree did ok when he came on last night in the circumstances, let a couple of balls bounce that he shouldn't have but other than that hard to find too much fault in either he or Tuanzebe. Obviously not a long terms solution there but every time he does play I always think he shows his potential. He really could have done with a loan move this season.

Similar to me with Tishbola, players like that need more seasons to develop with the club they've come through but I guess with our position if we'd left things longer plenty of prem clubs would've been bidding so we'd have missed out (like Bryan of Bristol City).

He's not going to become a long term CB it's safe to say though. Was just kicking it anywhere last night when the ball came near him.

My Understanding is James Bree is 5'9".......and we consider playing him at CB

have the lunatics taken over the asylum.....we have wingers taller than that.

Now, I am not saying height is the be all and end all.....but in this league with high balls in ,you are giving yourself a mountain to climb to cope....players like Michael and Matt Smith would create a complete mismatch.

To top it we have a goal keeper 6'0" in Bunn and another CB 5'11"

It seems the rest of the league have a very much different view to us.

On 03/10/2018 at 12:41, VillaChris said:

Similar to me with Tishbola, players like that need more seasons to develop with the club they've come through but I guess with our position if we'd left things longer plenty of prem clubs would've been bidding so we'd have missed out (like Bryan of Bristol City).

He's not going to become a long term CB it's safe to say though. Was just kicking it anywhere last night when the ball came near him.

Players have to force their way in not be given a chance, its not a benevolence society.....to much is at stake.

The have to WIN their place for the right reasons.

On 31/08/2018 at 00:00, Zatman said:

Well I dont think Bree will see his prime for about 6-8 years. Whether or not thats with us is another question

He needs game time though whether here or elsewhere

Makes you wonder why we put him on such a large contract.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

My Understanding is James Bree is 5'9".......and we consider playing him at CB

have the lunatics taken over the asylum.....we have wingers taller than that.

Now, I am not saying height is the be all and end all.....but in this league with high balls in ,you are giving yourself a mountain to climb to cope....players like Michael and Matt Smith would create a complete mismatch.

To top it we have a goal keeper 6'0" in Bunn and another CB 5'11"

It seems the rest of the league have a very much different view to us.

I don't think Cannavaro wasn't much taller than this although Bree looks bigger than 5' 9''. Although Cannavaro is the exception rather than the rule. I'd be more concerned about his ability to play in the position. I've not seen enough of him or am I actually qualified enough to make the judgement on his ability, but I would still question the capability of a 20 yr old who has never really played in the position to become the solution to our CB problem.

18 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I don't think Cannavaro wasn't much taller than this although Bree looks bigger than 5' 9''. Although Cannavaro is the exception rather than the rule. I'd be more concerned about his ability to play in the position. I've not seen enough of him or am I actually qualified enough to make the judgement on his ability, but I would still question the capability of a 20 yr old who has never really played in the position to become the solution to our CB problem.

5'9" is what I am reading.

I too can think of exceptions to every rule, by mentioning some of the worlds best players in that position......I am talking about the general rule.....especially in this dogged league.

In this league, high balls in to the mixer are a well used tactic, knock downs and disruption is the order of the day for many opposing teams.....you have be physically capable of not just dealing with that, but dominating it and making it not worth while for the opposition to consider it.

Goalkeepers too need to be exceptional if they are short in stature.

Stature is not the be all and end all, but in some positions it is a pre-requisite at this level.

I don't think Bree is a solution, he is a stop gap.....but not the kind of stop gap, Samba was.

The defence needs an overhaul and young hungry players at the heart of it who don't take prisoners, like Shaun Teale and Martin Laursen.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, TRO said:

5'9" is what I am reading.

I too can think of exceptions to every rule, by mentioning some of the worlds best players in that position......I am talking about the general rule.....especially in this dogged league.

In this league, high balls in to the mixer are a well used tactic, knock downs and disruption is the order of the day for many opposing teams.....you have be physically capable of not just dealing with that, but dominating it and making it not worth while for the opposition to consider it.

Goalkeepers too need to be exceptional if they are short in stature.

Stature is not the be all and end all, but in some positions it is a pre-requisite at this level.

I don't think Bree is a solution, he is a stop gap.....but not the kind of stop gap, Samba was.

The defence needs an overhaul and young hungry players at the heart of it who don't take prisoners, like Shaun Teale and Martin Laursen.

I wouldn't say those two were young, doubt if they are even still playing.

On 04/10/2018 at 15:52, TRO said:

Players have to force their way in not be given a chance, its not a benevolence society.....to much is at stake.

They have to WIN their place for the right reasons.

• Like 1

Â