James Bree

Barney_avfc

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not sure there is anything difficult to understand and you have partly said why he was signed yourself. He was, and still is, a very promising young player who had not long turned 19 when we signed him who had played less than 20 games at Championship level, the highest level he had played at.

Last season he had an experienced international player in front of him who was playing well. This season he has had experienced international players in front of him playing well in a team that is vying for automatic promotion.

He was always purchased with an eye on the future. Much like Bedeau.

His time will come and it will be doing him no harm at all working under very good defenders in Bruce and Calderwood and training alongside some very good defenders, most notably one of the best of the last 20 years in John Terry.

Rare I disagree with you Mark but he was playing at this level regularly for Barnsley. I really don't think he'd have moved if he thought he'd be this out of favour or we'd sign another three RBs.

Bedeau is a little different as he hadn't broken through at Bury and is much younger.

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

3 to 4  months for a league one or two side would surely be better for his development no matter how well he is playing in the U23's?

i think there would be interest from championship clubs 

Edited by Demitri_C

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Rare I disagree with you Mark but he was playing at this level regularly for Barnsley. I really don't think he'd have moved if he thought he'd be this out of favour or we'd sign another three RBs.

Bedeau is a little different as he hadn't broken through at Bury and is much younger.

For a club up against FFP to buy so called  development players is stupid! Bree must be having 2nd thoughts about coming here now. 

• Like 1

Didn't he have 6 months left on his deal when we signed him? I think it was a now or never and for £1m you can't really argue...but yes, he should have gone back out on loan - maybe even back to Barnsley. He, along with some others is learning nothing playing U23 football. It's barely a step up from testimonial pace.

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I agree Bedeau is a little different and probably not a comparable example.

In terms of Bree he was just 19 when we signed him and whilst he was playing for Barnsley he had still played less than 20 games at this level. I'd compare him to say Green, Davis and RHM here. I think those three at a club like Barnsley play week in week out but here, certainly Davis and RHM need 2 or 3 injures to get a sniff as Davis did earlier in the season but now again struggles to make the bench. 

They  are all a similar age to Bree and we consider them very good prospects. I see Bree as being the same. He came to play for the biggest club in the championship with some of the biggest funds. We have the luxury of being able to have international players with vast experience playing for us and at the moment he isn't quite ready to dislodge them. He is still a puppy though. If we go up, like Green, Davis, RHM and O'Hare,  Bree will then hopefully have developed over the next 12 months or so and be looking to force his way in. If we don't go up then I'd imagine he alongside the others mentioned will have to make up the nucleus of our squad as we will no longer have the funds to have a squad full of experienced players on big money at this level.

Either way I think if Bree and the other youngsters are good enough they will eventually get a chance here and I guess if you back yourself that is why you leave a club like Barnsley to play for Aston Villa knowing that you may have to take a step back, in terms of featuring for the first team, until you have developed enough to dislodge those in front of you.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I haven't seen anything to get me excited or even expect something in the future.....to be fair, I haven't seen much of him, so what bit I have seen, is Meh for me.

When it comes to young players, I confess I do get a bit grumpy, because I have seen so many over the years with great potential, that have just ended up squad fillers.

I would never make a scout, but I can tell you, most of our young players that have gone on to great things, I have been impressed from day one.....even when they are learning, you can detect that something.....I don't get that feeling with Bree......But then I don't think Hourihane is that good either and he is in the first team ( despite his great goals).

Edited by TRO

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

i think there would be interest from championship clubs 

Yes didn't we beat off a few sides to sign him? I remember there was quite a bit of interest in him maybe even from the premier league.

He's not even making the bench. You need to be playing from 20 onwards otherwise your career starts to stagnate and that applies at all levels not just premier league.

• 4 weeks later...

They've got Filipe Morais available in the right whose delivery is usually pretty spot on.

If we'd stayed quiet, they'd be guessing what formation we'd even go for at the moment bearing in mind we went 3-5-2 second half v QPR.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure we should be announcing that.

Agreed , keep your powder dry .

no idea how good he is in that position but Hutton did ok there as a right footer so there’s hope .

Edited by Eastie

11 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Didn't Bruce say O' Hare would be in against Sheffield Wednesday and then didn't even make the squad.

Difference between announcing something and actually doing it

No Bruce said he would be part of the squad and o hare travelled - he didn’t say he would play or be on the bench .

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think it was nailed on Bree was going to start. There is literally nobody else. I am pleased for him, needs to take his chance anyway it comes.

Not easy coming in out of position but good luck to the lad - he’s waited a while for his chance .

56 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think it was nailed on Bree was going to start. There is literally nobody else. I am pleased for him, needs to take his chance anyway it comes.

Thor could play left back I suppose? 

Â