James Bree

Barney_avfc

2 hours ago, slowandlow said:

When we were fannying around in the championship on the cusp of apparent ffp issues, spending 3 or 4 million on "one for the future" or a fourth choice right back (depending on point of view) seems like a very odd choice

Well perhaps it was thought he would be able to make the first team, but if he wasn't ready then it's still good to invest in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

From what ive seen of him i dont think he is any worse than any of our right backs. The difference being he still has time to improve.  On that basis alone id be starting him as first choice as he isnt going to progress without game time.

I think you know thats wrong....the best way to improve is by not getting on the pitch!

This man is going to be a god damned footballing genius in a few months! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/8/2017 at 07:48, OutByEaster? said:

He's five months older than Callum O'Hare - I think we can afford to be patient.

He was playing regularly at Barnsley though in league one and also the half season in the championship so he has many more senior starts than most of our youngsters.

• Like 2

We had 19 year olds making an impact years ago in the first division or Prem.

we are now in the lower division and we are suggesting patience.....i understand that.....but equally it could be a bit concerning.

it makes you wonder.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 10:34, VillaChris said:

He was playing regularly at Barnsley though in league one and also the half season in the championship so he has many more senior starts than most of our youngsters.

But Barnsley are not expected to get promotion.

thats where the pressure begins.

He looks a good prospect.  I can clearly get up and down the line, and put a ball over.  It seems his positioning can sometimes be suspect, but he's a young a lad and last season he wasn't playing alongside John Terry.

He's cut more from the Elmohamady mould than the Hutton one, but if he can learn a bit from both of them he'll do ok for us.

• 1 month later...

Another signing where the money seems wasted at a time we can’t afford players with ffp Bruce doesn’t mention he spent the best part of £20m in January on reserve players for us 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2017 at 07:48, OutByEaster? said:

He's five months older than Callum O'Hare - I think we can afford to be patient.

I would have Callum O'Hare in the team right now seeing how little we create. 

Bree was playing every game at Barnsley for a year and half until we bought him. It says he was doing very well, I believe there was Premier League interest too at the time. 

Bruce is absolutely terrified of playing youngsters for some reason. Even when we are "down to the bare bones" he would rather shift players into positions unnatural to them than play someone young. 

Would be interesting to look through Bruces career to see how many youngsters he has brought through in over 20 years of management. By that I mean actually giving young players their debut not walking into a club where a 19-21 year old is already playing regularly. 

59 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I would have Callum O'Hare in the team right now seeing how little we create. 

Bree was playing every game at Barnsley for a year and half until we bought him. It says he was doing very well, I believe there was Premier League interest too at the time. 

Bruce is absolutely terrified of playing youngsters for some reason. Even when we are "down to the bare bones" he would rather shift players into positions unnatural to them than play someone young. 

Would be interesting to look through Bruces career to see how many youngsters he has brought through in over 20 years of management. By that I mean actually giving young players their debut not walking into a club where a 19-21 year old is already playing regularly. 

Its not true though is it? Davis is a youngster, green was playing before getting injured. Onomah has been playing also.

Maybe bruce just does not rate them or think they are ready yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not true though is it? Davis is a youngster, green was playing before getting injured. Onomah has been playing also.

Maybe bruce just does not rate them or think they are ready yet. 

Davis was forced, but proves my point if given the chance we have some quality players in the youth set up. 

Green was already part of the main squad (as per Grealish) but both have been in and out of the team under Bruce.

As for Onomah, hes brought him in on loan from a top end premier league club so obviously hes going to be an exception, and probably came with a stipulation that he must play vast % of games when fit.

Bree was signed when we only had 1 fit right back in Hutton, I'm starting to doubt more and more if he was actually signed by Bruce as he signed another right back in the summer.

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

Davis was forced, but proves my point if given the chance we have some quality players in the youth set up. 

Green was already part of the main squad (as per Grealish) but both have been in and out of the team under Bruce.

As for Onomah, hes brought him in on loan from a top end premier league club so obviously hes going to be an exception, and probably came with a stipulation that he must play vast % of games when fit.

Bree was signed when we only had 1 fit right back in Hutton, I'm starting to doubt more and more if he was actually signed by Bruce as he signed another right back in the summer.

Well, if Bruce didn't sign him, then he might not be leaving him out because he's 'absolutely terrified of playing youngsters'; it might be because he just doesn't rate him all that much. 

• Like 1

I’m pleased he starts today. Came from Barnsley with so much promise. His agent needs shooting for allowing him to come to a club with so many senior established right backs. 

I’ve always liked what I’ve seen of him. Good luck today JB. 

42 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I never want to see him at centre back ever again. It's safe to say he can't play there. 

But... he was supposed to be much better there than Jedinak, who no-one but Bruce thought could be a decent CB.

Edited by AVTuco

Â