James Bree

Barney_avfc

I think he's played both full back positions in his career, so we may see him on the left in some games if Taylor's ever injured and Amavi's  been sold/loaned.

Edited by 8pints

Allowances for his age aside, I am struggling to see this good player that others seem to be seeing.

Doesn't seem particularly composed on the ball, doesn't have the speed or craft to beat a man, doesn't seem to cross the ball particularly well.

Not saying he won't work out as he's got a lot of scope for development but if this was a 27 year old I think we'd be looking at it very differently.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

What he does best is that he is not Hutton, and he has excellent pun potential. Why not play him, what extra damage can he do compared to Hutton's superpower of gifting possession back EVERYTIME.

I think it would be harsh to drop hutton after his last display -  long term bree and de laet are both better options .

last night wasn't one of Bree's better games but the conditions were awful so hard to judge him on that game.

Edited by Eastie

54 minutes ago, BruLan said:

I hand on Heart don't see what he brings to the Team, thought he was woeful against Norwich, sorry and I hope I get proved wrong 

He played 30 minutes today? And he isn't Alan Hutton! (who while he gives 100% isn't anywhere near good enough). Maybe a bit like hourihane, if he's given a chance to actually play a full game for a few games then we can judge him. The kid has been bought from a team where he was a first teamer , and bizarrely the manager who wanted him doesn't seem to want to trust him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruLan said:

I hand on Heart don't see what he brings to the Team, thought he was woeful against Norwich, sorry and I hope I get proved wrong 

Really? I thought he did ok. Certainly a big upgrade on Hutton. 

Once he came on the attacks stopped coming down that side.  That says a lot about what he brings.  Instead of their standout player skinning Hutton and creating a chance every time they got the ball in our half, they had to work to find openings elsewhere.

• Like 3

This guy is going to be a very important player for us. He didn't do anything spectacular today, probably we hardly noticed him, but Josh Murphy was turning Hutton inside out before Bree came on, Bree kept him much quieter.

I can see him settling into the team, and making the right back spot his own.

• Like 1

Looked to play as a third cb for a short while. Got pulled out of position a few times and was caught all watching a couple of times. Still a hell of a lot to learn. 

Good run and cross late on for elmohadamy chance 

Edited by mikeyp102

I also thought he looked better at CB the other night - better in the air than I was expecting, although I guess he is unusually tall for a full back.  Difficult to tell given the opposition, but good to know it's an option (and even based on that, I'd probably have him as backup ahead of Samba)

Â