James Bree

Barney_avfc

Well the good doctor has gone and followed James Bree on Twitter. Strongest indication yet that he will be a Villa player before the end of January. Fingers crossed, looks a top prospect in a weak position in our team. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-james-12490988

Aston Villa owner Dr Tony Xia has done it again.

The popular Chinese businessman has sent Villa supporters into a frenzy after following Barnsley defender James Bree on Twitter.

http://i2.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article12490985.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/FullSizeRender.jpg

I imagine the main reason he has come to villa (TBC - don't let us down Tony!) is a combination of good wages and guaranteed playing time. I'm sure some of the big boys would sign him tomorrow but we'd never see him again bar some cup games. Glad that footballers his age can see the bigger picture - unlike our very own RHM. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I cannot accurately express in words how much I would love a right back that can actually cross the ball.

Alan Hutton is ok. He tries hard most of the time.

But **** me, he is the worst crosser of the ball in living memory.

I agree. 

I like Hutton and I actually think he's having a decent season. But his decision making and final ball is dreadful. He's a capable back up, perhaps even for a better team than ours and I'll never knock his endeavour. 

But yes, we should try and do better IMO. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I cannot accurately express in words how much I would love a right back that can actually cross the ball.

Alan Hutton is ok. He tries hard most of the time.

But **** me, he is the worst crosser of the ball in living memory.

Yup, it's either in Row Z or hits the first defender. Could not cross to save his life.

I'm excited for this signing and think it's a good move by the club.

However, he strikes me as an even rawer version of Amavi. Pace and ball control is great, puts himself into tackles but his crossing is very hit and miss, as is his decision making. Definitely the potential to be a great player for us and I guess this is the best time to develop him, but he's definitely not a huge upgrade on Hutton from what I've seen and he may well end up coming in and out of the team a lot. 

• Like 1

He is better than Hutton. Not sure if compared to De Laet.

For a player like this, less than 20 yo, I would double his market price (0.75m?) as a long term investment, ~1.2m seems an ok deal. Actual transfer cost is probably lower than that I would assume.

Â