• Adomah
    • Grealish
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bacuna (Lansbury 77)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Deserved that for terrible management if our strikers.  

Agreed - net effect was we had a raw kid on the bench as our only option.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Interesting. What we need to find out is who was managing us in the first half (clearly can't have been Bruce by your account, because he is shit) and make them manager for the whole 90 minutes.

Ha ha

He had them on the coupon for a draw.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Great performance first half. Should've put them to bed but classic Villa can't string two halves together. That agrealish break just after half time should've been 3-0, not sure what he was thinking and it petered out. Then we let them back in it.

The difference Lansbury made to our midfield was huge to me. Looked class in the first half, we even had someone finding space at throw ins! Once he went off at 2-2 we were back to Amavi being relied on to start all our attacks.

Gabby played well I thought, good pressing. Having said that I wouldn't have him starting if we had other options! Bringing Davis on when he did was bizarre, we had a throw in in a good position with 4 mins to go and their defence stretched. Made the sub which allowed them to find their defensive shape again.

Grealish was frustrating today, looked like he thought the game was won at 2-0. Nice to see Adomah get a couple of goals. Green worked hard with little end product. Westwood benefitted from having a proper midfielder alongside him, Lansbury/Hourihane should be the future in midfield for us. Confident with the two of them plus Kodjia and Ayew back that we will improve. 

Should never have allowed Preston back into this game and it further hampered our slim play off hopes. Definite two points dropped today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, trevor said:

Poor management of striker situation for something that was known well in advance.

Either a massive misjudgement to think Gabby could do the job, or the decision has been made to throw the towel in on chasing this season hard already.

Problem is will Kodja be at Villa next season?

Is your beef, we should have scored 3 or more and that 2 wasn't enough to win a game?

2 minutes ago, chappy said:

Great performance first half. Should've put them to bed but classic Villa can't string two halves together. That agrealish break just after half time should've been 3-0, not sure what he was thinking and it petered out. Then we let them back in it.

The difference Lansbury made to our midfield was huge to me. Looked class in the first half, we even had someone finding space at throw ins! Once he went off at 2-2 we were back to Amavi being relied on to start all our attacks.

Gabby played well I thought, good pressing. Having said that I wouldn't have him starting if we had other options! Bringing Davis on when he did was bizarre, we had a throw in in a good position with 4 mins to go and their defence stretched. Made the sub which allowed them to find their defensive shape again.

Grealish was frustrating today, looked like he thought the game was won at 2-0. Nice to see Adomah get a couple of goals. Green worked hard with little end product. Westwood benefitted from having a proper midfielder alongside him, Lansbury/Hourihane should be the future in midfield for us. Confident with the two of them plus Kodjia and Ayew back that we will improve. 

Should never have allowed Preston back into this game and it further hampered our slim play off hopes. Definite two points dropped today.

The Grealish comment is at the centre of my issue and I don't suspect it is just him either.

Johnson - 7 - Did what he could, but both goals came because they had far too much space

Amavi - 4 - Really bad game today, I'm a fan of his but today he was appalling in attack and defence

Chester - 7 - Solid as usual, he's already got POTS for me.

Baker - 6 - Great to have him back, strongest defensive partnership we currently have 

Hutton - 6 - Amazing first 15 mibs, took on, and beat, nearly the entire PNE team! But then bang average again after that!

Green - 6 - Worked really hard, had some good moments but his lack of experience showed frequently.

Grealish - 3 - Offers nothing. At all. Weak defensively and poor passing, should have put Gabby/ Green in when 3 on 1.

Lansbury - 7 - Solid start, few great pieces of play then a few parts where he showed lack of match fitness

Westwood - 7 - He gets slated way too much but today, first half, he was fantastic. Second half, whole team was overun.

Adomah - 7 - Stole his first goal! Good penalty and more consistent display today.

Gabby - 5 - Works hard, should have had a goal but just lacks any clinical edge.

Bruce - Poor subs today. He's got zero choices in attack but Grealish should have been pulled off first and Adomah left on. Also hard to justify losing a 2-0 lead at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I assume people have voted the ref as average because he generously gave us a penalty which, from where I was sat, looked a great tackle. 

He was **** horrendous

It was an excellent tackle, and I'm disappointed not to have the opportunity to vote for him for man of the match. He certainly did more to help us than several of our players, and arguably all. 

Pathetic performance (from the referee I mean)

Edited by HanoiVillan

Should have won that game- the second half was vintage RDM Villa. We can't play 2 decent halves to save our lives. After about 60 mins the players were knackered- why did Brucey not bring on Gardner or Tishbola to see the game out? 2 dropped points, play offs are a long, long, long, way off. 

On the plus side Gabby for once had a decent game and Lansbury and Green had a good 45 before fading. In which we all could see apart from our Manager. Strange.

First half performance gave me great hope. 

Imagine that but with Hourihane instead of Westwood. Kodjia instead of Gabby AN OTHER instead of Gresford and Bree instead of Hutton and. Landsbury fitter. 

Less said about the second the better 

Were a lot of positives today very good for 60 mins if Bree and Hourihane come in it is only stronger we can get wouldn't right off the playoffs just yet ,Lansbury did more in 78 mins than the rest of our midfielders have done all season .

• Like 2

i didnt see the game , so will watch the highlights later.

i am not against critisism , far from it , but some of these posts are way out.

reading the review in the lancashire evening post , bruces own comments , and another very sensible post by OUTBYEASTER , i think we may be turning the corner.

i still dont think we will make the playoffs , the first half season performance has left too much catching up to do  .

Mixed feelings about this. First half we were absolutely rampant. I know it's only Preston but that was genuinely one of the best halves of football I've seen us play at VP in years. Second half was poor but not entirely unexpected - a strain of weakness has run through the club for years and once they got their first a second was inevitable.

• Like 2

Â