Tomb Raider

Risso

I've nearly finished Rise of the Tomb Raider.  It really is a superb bit of gaming in my opinion.  I think the story is great and is in real Indiana Jones territory.  The structure of the world is just right, with linearity combined with big hub areas to explore, and to return to if you want.

The combat is perfectly pitched with lots of variation, and the weapon availability and crafting is great.  The climbing also feels spectacular and varied, but purposeful too.

Each to their own and everything, but as I often say, how the latest Uncharted is considered better than this I just do not know.  I think everything is much, much better in Tomb Raider than the Naughty Dog offering which just bored me to tears.

• Like 3

Just now, Risso said:

I've nearly finished Rise of the Tomb Raider.  It really is a superb bit of gaming in my opinion.  I think the story is great and is in real Indiana Jones territory.  The structure of the world is just right, with linearity combined with big hub areas to explore, and to return to if you want.

The combat is perfectly pitched with lots of variation, and the weapon availability and crafting is great.  The climbing also feels spectacular and varied, but purposeful too.

Each to their own and everything, but as I often say, how the latest Uncharted is considered better than this I just do not know.  I think everything is much, much better in Tomb Raider than the Naughty Dog offering which just bored me to tears.

Do you need to have played the other Tomb Raider games for this to be enjoyable? 

26 minutes ago, Risso said:

From what I've seen of Uncharted it has better story telling.

22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Do you need to have played the other Tomb Raider games for this to be enjoyable? 

Nope, at most you'll miss a little bit of background to Lara and one of her friends, it sits quite well as a standalone experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

It's a sequel to a reboot that barely has any connection to the first game, so I'd jump straight into it. First game is decent enough itself but don't feel like you need to play it to enjoy the new one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

No, not at all. There's a bit of a back story with Croft's father that it fills in as you go along.  I loved it, the combat is brilliant.  Lots of different ways of offing the bad guys, and the puzzle tombs are mostly very interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Just ordered it. £20. Not bad :thumb:

Hoping it's better than Uncharted.

I think it is, much better.  Be interested in your opinion when you've played it.  At least three nights this week I gave it the "just five more minutes" thing before finally crawling to bed at 1am!

If you played the last one, it's quite similar in look and feel, but I preferred the story in this one.  It's not perfect, but I found the whole thing was pulled together really well.

It's also interesting that I've read quite a few people on here say that they found Uncharted boring, when in the press it got nothing but absolutely perfect 10/10 reviews and unending praise.  I just wonder if it's because Uncharted is a PS exclusive, whereas Tomb Raider isn't, and worse, was an XBox exclusive first, and there's therefore an element of bias, whether intentional or not amongst the reviewing community? 

I enjoy these games, but I just feel it's the same as Uncharted but without the polish. The narrative, set-pieces, pacing and voice-acting is nowhere near the level of Naughty Dog. 

I haven't completed the second installment as it didn't grip me like the reboot did, so perhaps the puzzles are better than UC4 which was the only slight disappointment for me, but aside from that I don't see how it's better than Uncharted in any other way.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

I was never really a fan of the early PS1 era Tomb Raider games but I thought both Tomb Raider (Reboot) and Rise of the Tomb Raider were absolutely fantastic. Others have said that they didn't like it as much as Uncharted 4 but i was the exact opposite. Uncharted 4 felt like i was either watching a movie or climbing up a cliff with about 2 minutes of actual action once every hour. In contrast both Tomb Raider games constantly feel like you are actually doing something meaningful.

Must buy if you like action adventures!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 11:32, Ginko said:

I enjoy these games, but I just feel it's the same as Uncharted but without the polish. The narrative, set-pieces, pacing and voice-acting is nowhere near the level of Naughty Dog. 

I haven't completed the second installment as it didn't grip me like the reboot did, so perhaps the puzzles are better than UC4 which was the only slight disappointment for me, but aside from that I don't see how it's better than Uncharted in any other way.

This article says everythig that needs to be said:

http://www.gameskinny.com/ib9if/why-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-leaves-uncharted-4-in-the-dust

"

In the 90s, Lara Croft was the undisputed champion of the action adventure genre. But after more than a decade at the top, fellow adventurer Nathan Drake crashed spectacularly onto the gaming scene with his eyes on the coveted prize.

Whether the iconic British explorer still offers the better gaming experience has been a topic that's been fiercely debated by players ever since. Initially, Uncharted arguably gained the more favorable following -- and for good reason. It pushed boundaries on PS3 with thrilling set pieces, likeable and multilayered characters and an atmosphere that perfectly encapsulated that family adventure movie experience. While in the latter part of the 2000s, Tomb Raider was still finding its feet with new developer Crystal Dynamics who struggled to really evolve the franchise's gameplay and character into something that felt relevant to modern gamers.

This generation though has seen a complete U-turn for both franchises.

Uncharted hasn't provided any real innovation since it's second installment - 2009's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves -- while the Tomb Raider series has not only managed to completely reinvent itself, but also effectively propel the genre forward for the new generation.

Uncharted 4 undoubtedly has the stronger narrative, but staunchly focuses on its setting, story and characters to the detriment of the gameplay and ultimately the player's enjoyment. This is the first post-The Last of Us release for developer Naughty Dog, and it clearly suffers for it. The studio has seemingly forgotten that Uncharted'sstory isn't as strong or meaningful as Joel and Ellie's desperate struggle for survival, nor is it the main reason people play the game. The long, drawn-out narrative results in pacing that can only be described as awful, with bits of action-packed brilliance padded by sequences that are not only painstakingly lengthy, but also often wholly unnecessary."

For me, Uncharted 4 was a horrendous borefest:

Far too linear, with no real scope to explore.  Really crap combat sections, with broken mechanics, and the whole thing felt that the role of the player was minimal, with the rubbish action sections a far too break between the less than riveting cut scenes.

• Like 1

I just love the pacing of it.  You can either be an OCD completist like me, and do every little side q and pick every mushroom you see, or just get on with it and breeze through.  Likewise with the combat, in most cases there are dozens of ways of offing people.

What is it with the wildlife in this place? Every bastard with teeth wants to just kill me, and they are not even hungry? Why cant I just shoot my gun in the air so these furry dickheads can just scurry back to their holes and leave me alone? I have got bird nests to raid, mushrooms to pick, rabbits to shoot, and other shit to do, without worrying about these hairy malicious asses as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Picked this up today and the first couple of hours alone smash the shit out of the tedium that was Uncharted 4.

Just came in to post this. I'm about 2/3 hours in and i'm already completely stuck in one of the side objectives, I never had this once with Uncharted.  

Very enjoyable so far. 

Edited by PieFacE

6 hours ago, AJ said:

What is it with the wildlife in this place? Every bastard with teeth wants to just kill me, and they are not even hungry? Why cant I just shoot my gun in the air so these furry dickheads can just scurry back to their holes and leave me alone? I have got bird nests to raid, mushrooms to pick, rabbits to shoot, and other shit to do, without worrying about these hairy malicious asses as well.

The map is a bit of a giveaway as to what dangerous beasts are around, ie wolves and bears etc.  Depending on what weapons you've unlocked so far, they're usually pretty easy to off.  The poison gas arrows being particularly effective.  I don't think that's much of a spoiler as it's about the first thing you unlock.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Risso said:

The map is a bit of a giveaway as to what dangerous beasts are around, ie wolves and bears etc.  Depending on what weapons you've unlocked so far, they're usually pretty easy to off.  The poison gas arrows being particularly effective.  I don't think that's much of a spoiler as it's about the first thing you unlock.

That's true. My comment was intended to compare CGI animals with real animals, and I was just dicking about.

I have played the game through, and it was a lot of fun. I cant compare it with the first one, as I think both are great.

On 19/01/2017 at 16:50, PieFacE said:

The only thing you really need to know about the earlier games in the series is that Lara Croft is a posh bird with big tits who enjoys travelling around the world and killing endangered animal species. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The_Rev said:

The only thing you really need to know about the earlier games in the series is that Lara Croft is a posh bird with big tits who enjoys travelling around the world and killing endangered animal species. 

#LaraCroftFyouPETA

Â