Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

5 hours ago, omariqy said:

When you say all in do you mean including materials/suite etc?

Yes, including everything. They've done a few jobs for people I know and doing my brothers bathroom in a few weeks.

He told me he is also paying about £3.5k for his complete switch over.

Edited by Genie

Yes please mate. Send the details over.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Yes, including everything. They've done a few jobs for people I know and doing my brothers bathroom in a few weeks.

He told me he is also paying about £3.5k for his complete switch over.

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Not buying as such but today is the day I get to clear a mortgage on a property. 

What a feeling that will be making that call :)

Excellent mate! Must be great to be in that position. 

I should be in a position to clear my mortgage I reckon in about 4 years if things pan out as expected, which s 18 years early. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Excellent mate! Must be great to be in that position. 

I should be in a position to clear my mortgage I reckon in about 4 years if things pan out as expected, which s 18 years early. :)

Good for you. 

Overpaying on mortgages when rates are low is about the best thing anyone can do with their money in my view.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Not buying as such but today is the day I get to clear a mortgage on a property. 

What a feeling that will be making that call :)

Did the same in March Trent, best feeling in the world.  I don't anybody a penny anywhere.  No mortgage, no credit card, no car loan, nothing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

Did the same in March Trent, best feeling in the world.  I don't anybody a penny anywhere.  No mortgage, no credit card, no car loan, nothing.

That is awesome, not there yet but that is the goal. I hate debt, loans, credit etc.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2017 at 19:48, Risso said:

I've done that too. Freedom!

• Like 3

at the other end, this week I've had mortgage offer confirmed and solicitor reports came back this week, hopefully just a matter of days getting deposit to solicitors and selecting dates! Would be far more relaxed about it all, were it not that my rental contract ends in 10 days:/ Going to be very close!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

at the other end, this week I've had mortgage offer confirmed and solicitor reports came back this week, hopefully just a matter of days getting deposit to solicitors and selecting dates! Would be far more relaxed about it all, were it not that my rental contract ends in 10 days:/ Going to be very close!

Unless the landlord has another tennant lined up to move in then I'm sure they'll allow you to go over for proportional rent. I've done that for tennants previously.

Is there a chain?

no chain, the seller's had already moved out when we were viewing the property a couple of months ago so shouldn't be any barriers, reports didn't reveal too much aside from being in a radon affected area, but from what I can see that's not a huge thing, I can just do a survey at some point to test that when I've moved in.

Current property is already rented out - it's in a student area of town full of aggressive landlords who make sure they've got tenants lined up months in advance. I've been prepared for it in my mind anyway so it's not too bad, can dump stuff in storage / at a friends for a few days, as the brokers and solicitors - even with their caution over giving exact dates have been encouraging about it being settled quickly enough. Maybe I'm naive but there we go! 

• Like 1

Hi all

Just to check if this quote looks reasonable re an extension. The kitchen extension is already done but we are looking to extend the lounge to the same length and the lounge extension will be 2m x 3.6m. We also want to knock through to the kitchen to create an open plan living room. They will need to put an RSJ in to support the wall that is coming down. The foundations of the extension are already down as the previous owner was going to do the same but never got round to it. So that should save a few £k off the price. The kitchen extension roof will have to come down to construct a new single roof over both extensions. They have also quoted for skips, french doors, 2 x windows and 1 x velux. The quote is £17,500 plus VAT.

Does that sound ok?

That actually sounds pretty reasonable to me but I'd always advise getting 2 or 3 quotes. It's not just good to compare prices but to also compare what they say needs to be done and how, I've exposed a couple of cowboys that way.

Also is it a fixed price?

• Like 1

Looking for our next move, Surprised at how much house you get in Swadlincote, Burntwood and Hendesford for your buck. 

Anyone know anything about said areas?.. 

What is everyone's views on a survey before moving into a house?

Buying a house (first time buyer) which I will be renovating, structurally sound just needs updating/modernizing.

The mortgage lender will obviously perform a survey, but would it be best to have another survey done independently? My thought's are the less I spend now the more I will have to get started with...

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

Buying a house (first time buyer) which I will be renovating, structurally sound just needs updating/modernizing.

The mortgage lender will obviously perform a survey, but would it be best to have another survey done independently? My thought's are the less I spend now the more I will have to get started with...

I've never done one above what the lender has done, but its completely up to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I would.

It will likely not prove necessary but I know people who haven't and who have regretted it and I know plenty that have pulled out of a purchase having done so.

• Like 1

Â