Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

Was called up earlier today to say that despite agreeing a price on Tuesday, providing all documentation and getting full agreement yesterday morning the vendor now wants us to pay an extra £10k as they've supposedly had another offer. 

Not happy. 

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Was called up earlier today to say that despite agreeing a price on Tuesday, providing all documentation and getting full agreement yesterday morning the vendor now wants us to pay an extra £10k as they've supposedly had another offer. 

Not happy. 

So many absolute scummy bastards in house buying.

I’d tell them to jog on and go elsewhere.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

So many absolute scummy bastards in house buying.

I’d tell them to jog on and go elsewhere.

We have a second property we'd bid on that the chain collapsed, we're going to go back to them and see where they are at. Tempted to just go with them anyway and wait and let them find somewhere else to buy. 

Has put a sour taste on the whole experience. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

We have a second property we'd bid on that the chain collapsed, we're going to go back to them and see where they are at. Tempted to just go with them anyway and wait and let them find somewhere else to buy. 

Has put a sour taste on the whole experience. 

Hopefully the people who they think are willing to pay £10k more will be told by their lender it’s over the market value and refuse to lend on it. 
I’d tell the agents that if that is how the clients and they the agents do business then I’m not interested in doing business with them. Leave them a shitty review for the trouble. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hopefully the people who they think are willing to pay £10k more will be told by their lender it’s over the market value and refuse to lend on it. 
I’d tell the agents that if that is how the clients and they the agents do business then I’m not interested in doing business with them. Leave them a shitty review for the trouble. 

Agreed. I spotted it was still listed on Rightmove yesterday afternoon and wasn't impressed. Also suspected something was wrong when they pushed us to do documents ASAP but then stalled and stalled on forwarding the Memorandum. 

Just been arguing with the wife as she said if someone offered us a bit more money for our house then we'd take it. I said I wouldn't as it's a matter of principle. Negotiate like a devil all you want up to agreement, after that, it's low ball, underhand and lacks class. 

The kicker is if they'd demanded this price before we agreed we'd very possibly have gone to it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Agreed. I spotted it was still listed on Rightmove yesterday afternoon and wasn't impressed. Also suspected something was wrong when they pushed us to do documents ASAP but then stalled and stalled on forwarding the Memorandum. 

Just been arguing with the wife as she said if someone offered us a bit more money for our house then we'd take it. I said I wouldn't as it's a matter of principle. Negotiate like a devil all you want up to agreement, after that, it's low ball, underhand and lacks class. 

The kicker is if they'd demanded this price before we agreed we'd very possibly have gone to it. 

Agents clearly being scummy here. Hopefully it collapses. I’d be leaving reviews everywhere that they accepted an offer but kept on marketing it and then later said offer needed to be increased.

Move on, if they behave like that then they’ve probably left a load of horrors in the house too for when they’ve gone. 
If you do go ahead get the best survey you can and see if it throws up anything that can be used to push the price back down.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

I had that a few years ago Rds, i upped my offer, then 2 weeks later the agents phoned again, i upped my offer again. Come the day of exchange, when i new the sellars had to move, i phoned the agent and offered the original agreed price or nothing. They accepted, call their bluff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I had that a few years ago Rds, i upped my offer, then 2 weeks later the agents phoned again, i upped my offer again. Come the day of exchange, when i new the sellars had to move, i phoned the agent and offered the original agreed price or nothing. They accepted, call their bluff.

Yeah, sat here thinking that all increasing our offer will do is create a bidding war as the other people will only increase their offer too. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

Agents clearly being scummy here. Hopefully it collapses. I’d be leaving reviews everywhere that they accepted an offer but kept on marketing it and then later said offer needed to be increased.

Move on, if they behave like that then they’ve probably left a load of horrors in the house too for when they’ve gone. 
If you do go ahead get the best survey you can and see if it throws up anything that can be used to push the price back down.

Already had agreed for a top level survey as it's a period property. Can just see this spiralling and not keen on that at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Not happy. 

What shit pricks. 

I would make the offer then come day of exchange go back to your original price.  They will panic and prob agree

Edit Oh see somekme has suggested that above.

Best of luck mate

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

What shit pricks. 

I would make the offer then come day of exchange go back to your original price.  They will panic and prob agree

Best of luck mate

Or agree the new higher price with no intention of completing the sale and then pull out at the last minute [insert kenneth] 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What shit pricks. 

Best of luck mate

They own several properties and are happy to move into one of those so will be in no hurry to complete, whereas we would be with stamp duty relief. Plus it'll be sat hanging over us the whole time and who needs that stress right now. 

Unless they can offer some concrete guarantees that an increase would be absolutely final (which they can't) then not really interested. They'll either ask for more again down the line or the other ppl will increase their offer (as their first is 10k above us) and it's a bidding war. The only ppl who win that are the vendors and I'm not having that. 

Pretty certain we'll walk away from this one and revisit buying the other house hoping their chain improves and our buyer is happy with that. If it doesn't then sod it, here's hoping prices dip in 6 months and we snag a bargain when it's not silly season. 

On the bright side this house was far to close to Stoke for my liking and who the hell would want to live there! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Not happy. 

We made a bid on a house which we felt was a bit more than it was worth but wanted it sorted as quick as possible. They rejected it. They did get a bid of £5k more (I think this would have been marked down on valuation anyway) anyway, that fell through as that buyer couldn’t sell their house (we were first time buyers). The house we bid on has now lowered it asking price by £10k on what we bid and remains unsold.

Not shitty like yours but it’s good when people get caught out being greedy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

We made a bid on a house which we felt was a bit more than it was worth but wanted it sorted as quick as possible. They rejected it. They did get a bid of £5k more (I think this would have been marked down on valuation anyway) anyway, that fell through as that buyer couldn’t sell their house (we were first time buyers). The house we bid on has now lowered it asking price by £10k on what we bid and remains unsold.

Not shitty like yours but it’s good when people get caught out being greedy.

Yeah, sadly the market we're looking at Cheshire and Staffordshire Moorlands appears to have gone crazy at the minute and ppl are getti6away with being greedy. We've lost one bidding war after being the first to bid and going full asking, another viewing was cancelled literally as we were driving to it as someone offered 20k above asking. We also spoke to one of the estate agents and she said how the day before they'd had an offer of 475k on a house listed at 400k. People also appear to have just added the stamp duty on to their price and not passing it along to the buyer. 

Will tell them this morning we're not raising our offer and make contact on the other house to see where it got to in fixing the chain. 

12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I put a bid in and it was accepted. All was going well other than nerves with the slowness of solicitors. One day I had to pop in to the estate agents and the estate agent said to me, they had a higher offer than my asking price offer but they turned it down as they had already accepted your offer. Immediately I am now nervous, but my overriding thought is why would you, the estate agent communicate a new offer when my offer had already been accepted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I put a bid in and it was accepted. All was going well other than nerves with the slowness of solicitors. One day I had to pop in to the estate agents and the estate agent said to me, they had a higher offer than my asking price offer but they turned it down as they had already accepted your offer. Immediately I am now nervous, but my overriding thought is why would you, the estate agent communicate a new offer when my offer had already been accepted. 

Yeah, I'm not impressed by estate agents at all after dealing with quite a few the last month or two. All useless and I'm not really sure what they offer not the rightmove basically does everything. Got numerous stories now but the worst is probably with the ones we listed with. We had some viewings lined up in Cheshire the day our house in Yorkshire had some viewings so our agents did them. We got home that evening to see they'd left the key safe on the number to unlock it so anyone could just open it and get the keys out. Not that it would have mattered as they'd also left the front door unlocked. 

If prices are going up that much if you can wait until the stamp duty holiday ends then do so. If they going ul that much you wont aay much on the staml duty saving anyway.  Once the stamp duty holiday ends i suspect its going to slow down badly

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Yeah, sadly the market we're looking at Cheshire and Staffordshire Moorlands appears to have gone crazy at the minute and ppl are getti6away with being greedy. We've lost one bidding war after being the first to bid and going full asking, another viewing was cancelled literally as we were driving to it as someone offered 20k above asking. We also spoke to one of the estate agents and she said how the day before they'd had an offer of 475k on a house listed at 400k. People also appear to have just added the stamp duty on to their price and not passing it along to the buyer. 

Will tell them this morning we're not raising our offer and make contact on the other house to see where it got to in fixing the chain. 

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If prices are going up that much if you can wait until the stamp duty holiday ends then do so. If they going ul that much you wont aay much on the staml duty saving anyway.  Once the stamp duty holiday ends i suspect its going to slow down badly

Ran this through my Dem dictionary and think I know what you're saying mate lol. 

Stamp duty saving would have been decent for us if there was no issues. I do suspect that the market for 300k plus will slow down in March (although this was predicted for June to December and the opposite has happened). However the market for 300k under might actually step up as there's some help to buy changes planned I believe (not close to it so not 100%).

Ideally don't want to lose our buyer and doubt they'd hang around. 

Also, the kids approaching school age and we need to apply early next year so the wife's very keen to be settled and make sure we have good schools nearby by then. 

Will see what happens. 

15 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Ran this through my Dem dictionary and think I know what you're saying mate lol. 

Stamp duty saving would have been decent for us if there was no issues. I do suspect that the market for 300k plus will slow down in March (although this was predicted for June to December and the opposite has happened). However the market for 300k under might actually step up as there's some help to buy changes planned I believe (not close to it so not 100%).

Ideally don't want to lose our buyer and doubt they'd hang around. 

Also, the kids approaching school age and we need to apply early next year so the wife's very keen to be settled and make sure we have good schools nearby by then. 

Will see what happens. 

If only could something half decent for 300k here in london! 300k gets you a box

Ah yeah thats true qbout your buying he probably won't wait around. In a way the governments protected house prices from plummeting round now with the stamp duty freeze. But for me its only delaying it as when it ends the markets going to be dead

Â