Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cheers for the info chief. 

Early days of looking. Looking for something semi rural. I don't want to live in the sticks but equally somewhere not massively built up. Sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it! 

Any of the little villages around that way would be ideal. 

Semi rural is a fairly decent description of Codsall. You're not too far away from some green belt, but it's got most of the amenities you'd expect/need. Codsall is generally considered the more affluent compared to Bilbrook (I primarily grew up in Bilbrook, so I'm allowed to say that). But Bilbrook is nice too.

Brewood is to the north and that's arguably prettier, but it also has a more isolated feel to it. 

Albrighton is good. Aside from being where I reside, it's like Codsall but a bit smaller and a touch more rural. Again, good train links and it's easy to get to the M54.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Had a viewing last night, literally in and out the place in less than 10 minutes, only poked their heads around the door of some rooms and spent 30 seconds in the garden.

To our surprise they made an offer today, £10k under asking price, and told us we had to be really quick to respond as they'd move on to something else.

Told them too low. Agent said he agreed it was worth more than his offer but wouldn't up his offer.

The whole thing has been really bizarre.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:28, Genie said:

Had a viewing last night, literally in and out the place in less than 10 minutes, only poked their heads around the door of some rooms and spent 30 seconds in the garden.

To our surprise they made an offer today, £10k under asking price, and told us we had to be really quick to respond as they'd move on to something else.

Told them too low. Agent said he agreed it was worth more than his offer but wouldn't up his offer.

The whole thing has been really bizarre.

Chancers looking for a bargain, if you'd accepted they would probably have done a second more in depth viewing and no doubt probably tried to chip you down further.

I guess if they look at enough sooner or later they will find someone willing.

When is this 40% crash coming anyway???

roperty values are expected to increase by 1.5% across 2017, compared with a 5% upswing in 2016, according to a report from estate agency and lettings network Countrywide. House price growth is predicted to slow across all regions of Britain during 2017 and into the first half of 2018. Countrywide expects a recovery in growth rates from mid-2018 onwards, continuing into 2019 amid expected wage growth. Growth in property prices is predicted to rise to 2% in 2018, followed by a 3% uplift in 2019.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/national/house-prices-sluggish-as-growth-rate-slows-through-2017-1-8713533

How long before a fixed rate term ending should we start looking for a new deal? We have been on a 2 year fixed rate after buying our first house in Jan 2016 and paid for the estate agent mortgage broker (wouldnt ever recommend doing this) which gives the lifetime broker service so we will use them just to get our moneys worth even though they were a nightmare last time with getting details wrong on the application. 

Is it a fairly simple process or do i need to get the ball rolling early? Looking to fix for as long term as possible but hopefully avoid a fee. 

I've recently moved product, it took almost three months start to finish for the aplication, legals and then the transfer and I made two mortgage payments during the period. I didn't particular encounter any major delays so give yourself plenty of time. 

Just watch yourself re the broker as you need to be sure they can get all the best deals.

I recently got 1.34% for 5 years through Atom Bank but they have an approved broker list and you can only go through them so your broker may or may not have access to this and other deals. It's worth doing your research.

As for a fee, give this some thought. The fee can be added to the principle of the mortgage debt so you don't have to find it up front. If you go for a deal without a fee you will likely pay a higher interest rate and end up paying more than the fee on a similar product.

It rarely makes sense to avoid the fee in my experience. (Currently on 7th mortgage)

As soon as your'e free to move mortgage then I'd be looking at your options.

I've recommended them on here before, but someone like Countrywide will send someone to your house to go over all the details and all your options etc.

You have to pay them, but only if you go through with changing your mortgage.

Ring someone like them and tell them when you are free to move and they'll tell you when you can start looking.

I think the Midlands has the highest increase in house prices over the last year... West Midlands 7% but in certain areas more (I read in a separate report, but cant find it now, that Sutton Coldfield was up 10%)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/21/house-prices-northants-leads-midlands-mini-boom-says-rightmove

Asking prices for homes in Northamptonshire have jumped by 9.1% over the past year, the biggest increase in England and Wales, Rightmove said today, as London’s unaffordable property market has driven people to buy further away and commute.

The property website said the asking price for homes coming on to the market in the county had risen by 2.2% in August, to an average of £256,642, making it the hottest area covered by the survey. The growth contrasts with a monthly fall of 1.9% in Greater London, and a 0.9% drop across England and Wales as a whole.

Rightmove said counties across the middle of England were experiencing a “mini-boom”. Prices in Derbyshire rose 7.9% from a year ago and in Norfolk they were up 7.4%. Annual prices increased by about 7% in Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Worcestershire, the West Midlands and Leicestershire.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As soon as your'e free to move mortgage then I'd be looking at your options.

I've recommended them on here before, but someone like Countrywide will send someone to your house to go over all the details and all your options etc.

You have to pay them, but only if you go through with changing your mortgage.

Ring someone like them and tell them when you are free to move and they'll tell you when you can start looking.

Disagree. You should start looking before you are free to move as it takes time to sort which could mean moving onto a variable rate at the end of the fixed term on the existing mortgage.

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Disagree. You should start looking before you are free to move as it takes time to sort which could mean moving onto a variable rate at the end of the fixed term on the existing mortgage.

Yeah that';s kind of what I meant.

I meant you should be moving as soon as your current deal is over, so get looking as soon as is practical.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2017 at 18:51, Xela said:

Cheers for the info chief. 

Early days of looking. Looking for something semi rural. I don't want to live in the sticks but equally somewhere not massively built up. Sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it! 

Any of the little villages around that way would be ideal. 

Clent/ Hagley perhaps? I'd like to move that way but whenever I've looked, the houses in the nicer parts within my budget often need a fair amount of work.

On 8/23/2017 at 21:38, Rob182 said:

Clent/ Hagley perhaps? I'd like to move that way but whenever I've looked, the houses in the nicer parts within my budget often need a fair amount of work.

Clent does look lovely. Cheers :) 

So growth in house prices is slowing but is still in the positive, with no rise in interest rates looming it's hard to see much past a continued decline in growth.

A crash still looks highly unlikely to me, certainly with the next 12 months.

Viewed this flat a few weeks ago, It was not so amazing that I must have it but I am at the point now that if it was a sensible price I would make an offer, and can see myself there for a few years.
Only thing is it is at a ridiculous price, fixed. Other flats in the area if right move are to be trusted have got for £15k - 30K less than what they are asking within the past year.

I have asked them if there is any movement on the price through email and they said they would get back to me...they didn't. I then phoned and the agent confirmed that bids won't be entertained the phone ( didn't even mention that they would or have chased this up.)

Looking at the history this flat has been on the market for a few years and in that time the asking price has never moved. I just do not understand.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark Carney expects interest rate rise in 'relatively near term'

Interest rates could rise in the "relatively near term" the Governor of the Bank of England has told the BBC.

In the clearest indication yet that there could be a rate rise as early as November, Mark Carney suggested that it was time for the bank to "ease its foot off the accelerator".

The next opportunity for a change in interest rates is the Bank's monetary policy committee meeting on 2 November.

The governor also warned against "reckless" household borrowing.

He said that while overall lending to UK consumers had come down markedly since the financial crisis, there was a danger from rapid "frothy" growth in some areas of household borrowing.

"What we're worried about is a pocket of risk - a risk in consumer debt, credit card debt, debt for cars, personal loans," he told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme.

He said banks had "not been as disciplined as they should be" in their underwriting standards and pricing of this debt.

'Pressed on when the Bank was likely to raise interest rates, a move that would make borrowing more expensive, Mr Carney confirmed the latest analysis from the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee.

"If the economy continues on the track that it's been on, and all indications are that it is, in the relatively near term we can expect that interest rates will increase," he said.

It's not quite a promise to raise rates next month. But Mr Carney's remarks do reinforce the expectation that it is going to happen.

That said, he also made it plain that we shouldn't expect any great drama. He used a motoring metaphor and it's not a question of hitting the brakes - rather, as he put it, easing off the accelerator.

So what we can expect next month is probably a reversal of the rate cut the Bank made in the aftermath of the EU referendum.

That was, to continue the motoring analogy, intended to pump a little more fuel into the economy at a time when the bank seemed to fear it might stall. Now we have higher inflation and that is the basis for a rate rise. On the other hand economic growth has slowed which is why Mr Carney hints at a very modest rise that will leave rates very close to their all-time low.

Speculation has been growing that the Bank could raise interest rates at its next meeting. The last time rates were raised was July 2007 before the financial crisis. Since then interest rates have been kept low in order to boost the economy by keeping cost of borrowing down.

Recent low unemployment figures and stronger inflation have made a rise in rates more likely.

"We're talking about just easing the foot off the accelerator to keep with the speed limit of the economy and so interest rate increases when they come - when and if they come - will be to a limited extent and gradual," Mr Carney said.

However new figures from the Office for National Statistics for the three months to June showed the economy growing at just 1.5% a year, a slower pace than previously estimated.

Chris Williamson, chief business economist, at IHS Markit said it would be unprecedented for the Bank of England to tighten interest rate policy given "such anaemic growth".

Despite Mr Carney's comments the pound slipped against the dollar and the euro following the ONS's revision of the growth figures.

The Bank Governor also responded to comments from former shadow chancellor Ed Balls and former prime minister Gordon Brown that there should be changes to the way the Bank of England cooperates with the Treasury to ensure financial stability.

Mr Carney rejected suggestions that reform was needed, arguing the system was "incredibly well designed" with the Bank's current role of identifying and highlighting risks to the economy, but with the big decisions resting with the government. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41439349 

Â