Pre-match thread

Demitri_C

48 minutes ago, AndyC said:

Taking my 7 year old son to this, it's his first ever Villa game. All last season he was asking me to take him but I put him off due to the shit we were serving up, I want him to see a good game and lots of villa goals for his first time - not going to happen is it!?

I hope so but I'm sure he would be happy with 1-0. I took my son to about 14 games at around the same age before he had to witness us lose one by being very selective with the games that I took him to (although we were a much better team back then). It can also work in this division...so far.   

Fellow double-winners Preston last ended a season above us in 1970-71 when they went up from Division 3 as champions and we ended that season fourth. They are now 4 points ahead of us. They last beat us at Villa Park 1-0 in 1968. They beat us 2-0 in October at Deepdale.

This might look like a potential draw on current form. That would maintain our unbeaten home record but that is not enough. This is a game that we need to win. I really hope we will have one or more new signings available to start this one. A couple of midfield players to feed McCormack as our lone striker unless we can bring in someone decent to play alongside him permanently or on loan would be nice as would a 2-1 win that would see us close the gap on Preston to a point and take us past some other teams.        

18 hours ago, AndyC said:

Taking my 7 year old son to this, it's his first ever Villa game. All last season he was asking me to take him but I put him off due to the shit we were serving up, I want him to see a good game and lots of villa goals for his first time - not going to happen is it!?

What's he done wrong for you to Villa Park?  Bad school report?:P

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 22:03, AndyC said:

No

On 1/16/2017 at 16:03, AndyC said:

I've been with my girlfriend for just about 2 years now, and she wonders why I continue to follow Villa. All she has seen is us get relegated, then struggle in the championship. I even took her to a match, we drew. It's tough to get her watching matches with me. It's tough to watch any matches actually. 

• Like 2

I am back to the last few seasons negativity. We haven't signed anyone yet either to make an impact. Watched Preston for a bit against Arsenal and they played very well at times. Hope for 0 - 0 as we are unlikely to score.

BBC website suggests even if Lansbury is signed, sealed and delivered in time for kick off, he hasn't played since a hamstring injury on 11th December. He won't be match fit and would be a churlish risk to throw him straight in.

The way we've been playing lately, this will be a Preston win and we'll wave goodbye to that one piece of positivity that we have clung on to all season - undefeated at home. Feels like January has been wasted - we knew what we needed long ago... Yet here we are, twenty (20... TWENTY) full days into the transfer window without a meaningful signing where we need them most... Just how serious are we (really) about trying to get 'out' this season?

So much for Tony's plan for ACON... If Gabby was it, then Tony out for me ;) 

12 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Hopefully Lansbury will be signed in time to be registered for this one. 

I'd play him in a midfield three

...............johnstone

hutton.chester.baker.amavi

..Lansbury.jedinak.tshibola

adomah.mccormack.grealish

This for me too, set up as:

Johnstone

Hutton    Chester   Baker     Amavi

Jedinak

Lansbury Tshibola

Adomah       McCormack     Grealish

Would like to see RHM or Davis on the bench to replace McCormack if he has another poor game

Green on the bench to replace Grealish if he is poor

No Gabby

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

BBC website suggests even if Lansbury is signed, sealed and delivered in time for kick off, he hasn't played since a hamstring injury on 11th December. He won't be match fit and would be a churlish risk to throw him straight in.

The way we've been playing lately, this will be a Preston win and we'll wave goodbye to that one piece of positivity that we have clung on to all season - undefeated at home. Feels like January has been wasted - we knew what we needed long ago... Yet here we are, twenty (20... TWENTY) full days into the transfer window without a meaningful signing where we need them most... Just how serious are we (really) about trying to get 'out' this season?

So much for Tony's plan for ACON... If Gabby was it, then Tony out for me ;) 

I think Lansbury has been fully fit for a couple of weeks now but hasn't played due to the transfer speculation. Should be fine to play tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2017 at 19:55, Czechlad said:

I've been with my girlfriend for just about 2 years now, and she wonders why I continue to follow Villa. All she has seen is us get relegated, then struggle in the championship. I even took her to a match, we drew. It's tough to get her watching matches with me. It's tough to watch any matches actually. 

I'm in the exact same situation!
It makes you wonder why we support Villa when a neutral woman lays it our as clear as day that we're shit and I'm always disappointed.