Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He hasn’t been playing at this level for 2 years. Please check your facts.

Ok. He has played at this level for 18 months with Barnsley and was brilliant, scoring 11 goals from midfield. 

If we are being pedantic its more than 'a couple of good months'

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Not wanting to call you out pal but please remind me how many of those games were at “this level”? He has only been in the championship for 18 months. First 6 good and the rest poor/average.

after them 6 months Bruce got his hands on him ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, av1 said:

11 of those goals came in the Championship. And as @omariqy said, he has been been one of the best players at this level for 2 years.

He comes to Villa, Bruce stops him doing what has made him that player by playing him out of position and surprise surprise, he doesn't look as good. 

Its on Bruce. 

I don’t want to disagree or fall out but he had 6 good months at Barnsley, in the Championship. He has since had 11 months at Villa where, in my opinion, he has been a passenger. He has only been at this level for 17 months and for the last 11 of those he has been poor. I’m not sure where the 2 years is coming from.

I don’t like Bruce. Never wanted him. Want rid now but the poor form of Conor is more to do with the fact that he is and has never been very good. It is nothing to do with the tactics of Bruce, in my opinion. Blame Bruce for buying him but the rest is up to Conor and his lack of ability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He hasn’t been playing at this level for 2 years. Please check your facts.

No but he was too good for League 1, every Barnsley fan will tell you. He then carried on being the best midfielder in the Champ until he came here. He plays and scores when we play him further forward but not when he sits. It's simple. Players like Hourihane, Grealish, Hogan etc will never flourish under Bruce. They rely on movement, good football an good interplay. Players like Kodjia and Adomah do well because they can't make something happen out of nothing. Unfortunately, you can't rely on that as a team because those kind of players do not always turn up to the party.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

No but he was too good for League 1, every Barnsley fan will tell you. He then carried on being the best midfielder in the Champ until he came here. He plays and scores when we play him further forward but not when he sits. It's simple. Players like Hourihane, Grealish, Hogan etc will never flourish under Bruce. They rely on movement, good football an good interplay. Players like Kodjia and Adomah do well because they can't make something happen out of nothing. Unfortunately, you can't rely on that as a team because those kind of players do not always turn up to the party.

I don’t think he was the best midfielder in the Championship before signing for Villa. He did have really good goal and assist stats but that can happen over short periods with a bit of a purple patch. I think you have to look deeper at the actual performance in each match. He offers very little. I do not think it would matter too much about tactics because he is not very good. The tactics of the manager are poor though. That is something that we can definitely agree on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t think he was the best midfielder in the Championship before signing for Villa. He did have really good goal and assist stats but that can happen over short periods with a bit of a purple patch. I think you have to look deeper at the actual performance in each match. He offers very little. I do not think it would matter too much about tactics because he is not very good. The tactics of the manager are poor though. That is something that we can definitely agree on.

He was the most highly rated for goals, assists, tackles, interceptions and distance ran. I would say that is more than just goals and assists. It wasn't a purple patch he has done it for Barnsley for 2 and a half years. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-sign-conor-hourihane-12510443

 

Quote

Conor made it clear to the board that he saw the move as an opportunity to further his career and he wanted to pursue the move. Under these circumstances, and considering that Conor’s contract was coming to an end in the Summer where he could transfer for free, the Club respected that decision and reluctantly allowed him to move on for a significant fee and sell-on.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought in terms of his position on the pitch he was fine, deep enough to be part of the engine room but got into advanced positions for having a shot. It was the lack of quality and failure to impose himself that was the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, omariqy said:

He was the most highly rated for goals, assists, tackles, interceptions and distance ran. I would say that is more than just goals and assists. It wasn't a purple patch he has done it for Barnsley for 2 and a half years. 

I think we will have to agree to disagree. In nearly a year as a Villa player, playing in a rubbish league, I have not seen him dominate a match once. I don’t know what his stats are for us but my eyes tell me that he is not very good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, a m ole said:

Uh oh, I see where this thread is going. Burnley might as well make a bid now to save us all the trouble.

Yep. Easier to blame players out of position than the man who puts them in that position and the tactics. Bizarre. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, terrytini said:

I don’t think that’s his choice at all.

I do think it's his choice to go backwards as his first port of call, very often he doesn't even look around, just plays the easy negative pass. Bottom line is that Hourihane is extremely limited, part from shooting and set pieces he's a very, very average player. If he was half as good as some make out he wouldn't be at this level.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I do think it's his choice to go backwards as his first port of call, very often he doesn't even look around, just plays the easy negative pass. Bottom line is that Hourihane is extremely limited, part from shooting and set pieces he's a very, very average player. If he was half as good as some make out he wouldn't be at this level.

So you buy a relatively limited footballer whose main attributes suit an attacking midfield role, and then shoehorn the kid in as deep lying midfielder next to the even more limited Glen Whelan.

Is it any wonder the kid isn't showing the kind of form he showed at Barnsley?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, av1 said:

So you buy a relatively limited footballer whose main attributes suit an attacking midfield role, and then shoehorn the kid in as deep lying midfielder next to the even more limited Glen Whelan.

Is it any wonder the kid isn't showing the kind of form he showed at Barnsley?

 

I agree, Bruce is useless and not getting the best out of him, but what I've seen of him isn't that good at all. He has no meaningful forward pass in him and he has shown this when played in a more advanced role for us.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree, Bruce is useless and not getting the best out of him, but what I've seen of him isn't that good at all. He has no meaningful forward pass in him.

I don't think the kid would cut it in the PL, but our midfield is so poor I'd still have him in my 11 if played in his correct position. 

Whelan

Jedinak 

Lansbury

Onamoh. 

It's a sorry situation given the money thats been spent. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a single player that hasn't been called shit, not fit for the shirt, a passenger, a complete liability or another similar thing over the years? We were singing this guy's praises not too long ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â