Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Excellent game for him.Played as a number 10 rather than a cm, he picked up such good positions and made space for himself. It helped having someone like a Davis up there who could hold the ball up and lay it the path of Conor. Some of the skill he showed late on to beat a few men was exquisite and of course his two later goals were great finishes.

Getting a goal at villa park has obviously raised his confidence and also being played higher up the pitch helped. 

The majority of his set plays were also excellent. 

More of the same please Conor

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

Ok it's a fact that Lansbury and Hourihane have massively under performed for us compared to their previous clubs. It's a fact that neither has gotten into the box as much as they did before until today. Under Bruce we normally play very defensively and our midfielders don't push on past the striker who's idea is that? We have to Cracking attacking midfielder that haven't attacked for a reason. The reason is the manager. The proof is in the pudding. Or the potatoe is you want! Hopefully he realises he can trust these players to attack. We've got the talent as Hourihane showed today. 

Re the bickering about if Bruce allowed or planned this etc it might actually be that neither is the case but that we finally had a target man in front who can hold up the ball, bring midfielders into play and keep the attention of defenders on him allowing the midfield to flourish. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think his position or his instruction changed - I just think playing with a different type of striker allowed him to get more involved in attacks - and when he's involved, he'll make things happen. Brilliant hat trick.

This could well be the case, if you know the ball is not sticking up front then I guess you may think twice before overcomitting and leaving your team exposed. Gabby, Kodjia and Hogan are not link up forwards. 

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Wondering who the last Villa midfielder was to have scored a hat trick...

Platty v Spuds in 1991. 

Great game an from memory Sid Cowans made a couple of the goals

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Wondering who the last Villa midfielder was to have scored a hat trick...

Dunno about midfielder but

Hourihane's hat-trick was Villa's first in the league since Christian Benteke's three-goal haul against QPR in April 2015.

• Like 1

Who would of thought that playing a goalscoring midfielder in his correct position would have resulted in him scoring?

Thats why Bruce is on the big bucks. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think his position or his instruction changed - I just think playing with a different type of striker allowed him to get more involved in attacks - and when he's involved, he'll make things happen. Brilliant hat trick.

I disagree slightly there. He had definitely been pushed further forward and a couple of times, he let players run beyond him and didn't track them, which seemed to be a tactical decision to me. 

Semantics, but I certainly think Bruce took the reigns off a bit. 

All I want Bruce to do now is stick with him there. Just give him one instruction - go out and win the game for us. He'll deliver. 

47 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Shows how ridiculous it was that hourihane was sitting on the bench while Bruce preferred bacuna to him . 

To be fair, and I hate Bacuna, Bacuna played a totally different, much deeper position than Hourihane in the Hull game. 

Hourihane was so good today because he was relieved of his defensive burden and allowed to play his naturally attacking game. 

• Like 2

He could be our 'lampard-esque' midfielder, bursting into the box or having a pop at goal.

disclaimer - I am not comparing hourihane to lampard, clearly not in the same league but Conor could be effective in that role. 

13 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

He could be our 'lampard-esque' midfielder, bursting into the box or having a pop at goal.

disclaimer - I am not comparing hourihane to lampard, clearly not in the same league 

Agreed, Hourihane is by far the superior professional football player currently.

Lampard is currently a pundit. :ph34r:

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â