Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

First Villa midfielder to score a league hat-trick since David Platt in a 3-2 home win v Spurs on 16th March 1992.

My 13th birthday...

Are you sure it was 1992? Platt left villa in 1991 to join Bari

Edit just checked was 1991 mate :)

https://www.11v11.com/matches/aston-villa-v-tottenham-hotspur-16-march-1991-90011/

Edited by Villan4Life

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

He never was.

Hes just been very poorly used until today.

He was poorly used, or didn't perform to his ability? He still deeper today, but he pushed on to the edge of the box and his opportunities came. Now, if you can show me where Bruce told him not to push forward, then I would agree with you. Or was it that he didn't have the confidence to do it? I don't know for sure, I'm just wondering how you do.

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No, it's Bruce's fault when he doesn't play people in the way they played at their previous clubs that made them successful and got his interest.

Again, show me where he gave Hourihane the instruction not to be more adventurous and get in and around the box.

1 minute ago, villianusa said:

Again, show me where he gave Hourihane the instruction not to be more adventurous and get in and around the box.

He has not been using hourihane to his strengths that's obvious to see. He was a DJ vs Colchester for example. So Trent has a point here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villianusa said:

Oh okay. You are right he just decided to stop playing the way he always played previously and try and reinvent himself. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I've given him some stick but wow was he good today. I've been desperate for him to shoot at goal more often for us because that's what we all know he can do. 

When was the last time a Villa midfielder scored a hattrick?

2 minutes ago, villianusa said:

Well when you are based at the bottom of the midfield 3 or out wide you aren't going to be commiting in the middle of the pitch and firing of one twos and leaving the team exposed..

• Like 3

Just now, Farlz said:

I've given him some stick but wow was he good today. I've been desperate for him to shoot at goal more often for us because that's what we all know he can do. 

When was the last time a Villa midfielder scored a hattrick?

1991 - Platt

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villianusa said:

He was poorly used, or didn't perform to his ability? He still deeper today, but he pushed on to the edge of the box and his opportunities came. Now, if you can show me where Bruce told him not to push forward, then I would agree with you. Or was it that he didn't have the confidence to do it? I don't know for sure, I'm just wondering how you do.

I'm sure. If you aren't, fine.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Oh okay. You are right he just decided to stop playing the way he always played previously and try and reinvent himself. :rolleyes:

Did I say that? Bruce said that players hadn't settled in after joining the club. There could have been some hesitancy in his play after joining such a big club. You don't that, neither do I, but I'm not the one trying to prove my opinion as fact. I'm offering another possible solution, as I believe that's what forums are for.

6 minutes ago, villianusa said:

He must've told them previously not to get ahead of the ball too much as until recently Hourihane hasn't been anywhere near the box. 

11 minutes ago, villianusa said:

Having been to the game today, it was obvious from the start that he'd been pushed 10-15 years further forward and was almost playing as an 'inside left forward'. 

Whilst I agree, I doubt Bruce was deliberately telling him not to be adventurous on the ball, he was playing him too deep and again, worrying too much about what teams might do to us, rather than what our players can do to them. 

He's been a symbol of Bruce's reign so far in that regard for me. 

A slight tweak today and look at the difference. We finally saw the player we signed and wow, what an absolute wand of a left foot that is. 

He's not a 90min, charge around the pitch kind of player, he has quiet spells in the game, but if you give him the ball, he'll give you 5/6 moments of real quality and he'll win us games. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 3

Just now, dn1982 said:

He must've told them previously not to get ahead of the ball too much as until recently Hourihane hasn't been anywhere near the box. 

Again, people are making assumptions of what is said in the dressing room and trying to prove it as fact. All I'm looking for is proof and not opinions being forced to be fact.

Â